Wednesday, 9 March 2016

Book Review: Bound by Shannon Mayer (Nevermore #2)


Mara faces seemingly insurmountable obstacles and adversities as she works feverishly to free Sebastian from the holds which bind him. Her refusal to abandon him, and his refusal to let her slip away, keep them fighting to be reunited. Fears escalate and dangers destroy their beliefs, but they cling to their love and find strength in each other even when separated. Mara and Sebastian manage to face each act of violence, each tragedy, and terrifying sight with a strength which won’t bend to any confrontation.

My Review:
Mara and Bastian are captured by the military at their home and taken to a prison camp where Mara is told she has to train the monsters to obey her like Bastian, so they can be used for military purposes. Vincent wants to use an army of monsters to attack his enemy who is working on a cure. Not trusting Vincent, Mara is convinced that they must escape or die.

I certainly didn't like this book as much as the first one in the series. I was still interested in the relationship between Mara and Bastian but I also questioned why Mara decided to restart a sexual relationship with him without knowing if the virus was going to damage her. Overall, Mara wasn't very smart in this book. Spying on Vincent so blatantly was dumb and could have led to them both being killed. But the thing that really infuriated me was Mara deciding she was attracted to the first soldier who was kind to her, which makes her supposed undying love for Bastian seem like a bit of a joke. It ruined the interest I had in the unconventional relationship between Mara and Bastian.

Vincent wasn't really a character that greatly interested me. Even when we are shown why he is such an asshat and why he is obsessed with finding the cure, he still feels like the big evil cartoon bad guy. In fact most of the military men in this book are power hungry asshats who annoyed me. I did continue to like Scout though. He sort of reminds me of the boy Roach who lived inside the walls in the film The People under the Stairs.

The plot for me was a bit on the weak side. The military just happened to pass by Mara's house in time to see her interact with Bastian and suddeny come to grab them both? Super evil military men fight over an experimental cure? Our poor heroes caught in the middle? I wasn't greatly convinced and this is more of a 2/2.5 book. I have the whole series in one paperback so I did read on to book 3 but hopes were not high.
star rating photo: Two Star Rating 2stars.png

No comments:

Post a Comment