Friday, 4 March 2016

Book Review: Apocalyptic Moon by Eva Gordon


Dr. Dora Adler's life has been in disarray since the beginning of the zombie apocalypse, but when she gets bitten by one of the undead, her whole world is turned upside down. Held captive in a secret underground lab, the tall, muscular hunk in the next cell is her only hope for salvation. Unfortunately, he claims to be a werewolf. Yeah, and she's supposedly a witch.

Dirk Gunderson is an alpha Arbor pack werewolf. Captured and collared, he's sold to the zombie lab in hopes his blood serum can create a vaccine. He needs to escape, but not without the hot little brunette witch.

In the midst of enemy werewolves and the hordes of undead, Dirk and Dora's sexual tension ignites a blaze hotter than the desert highway. Along their journey, they battle the inevitable: a werewolf must never take a witch as a mate.


My Review:
Dora is a doctor with a curse hanging over her head-she will die when she is 27 just like all the women in her family. So when she is bitten in the ER by a zombie, she is not surprised, and is taken down to the holding cells to await her death by military execution when she turns. When Dora does not turn, she is sent to a research lab so they can investigate her immunity, and caged next to Alpha werewolf Dirk. Together they decide that they must be ready to escape when the right moment comes but that could be the least of their problems.

OK so who can resist a book featuring witches, werewolves, zombies and mad scientists with an apocalypse thrown in for good measure? I was keen to read this though I was a bit wary of it being more paranormal romance than urban fantasy by the book description. I'm not a fan of hot steamy relationships and a ton of sex in paranormal books, but while that was in the book, I found a pretty good story that kept me interested. The whole story of the zombies and the events in the secret lab were very well written. A nice mixture of action and tension remained as they try to find a way to escape. While there was a lull after this the story did pick up nicely once the search for Josh and Melanie begins, and from there to the end it was an interesting and exciting read.

I also liked the characters which kept me reading even when I got a bit annoyed with a couple of aspects of the plot. Dora is a witch who has no idea of how to use her powers, which is a bit inconvenient when you could be using your skills to aid your escape. She is a good character and I liked her. Sometimes Alpha werewolves can be so macho that they become morons but Dirk wasn't like that for the most part. I liked the way their relationship was written, with the problems they will face together. There were side characters that I liked and wanted to see more of like Rave, Bran, Talon and Phoenix. Perhaps there is more of them in the next book.

The down side to the book is the amount of repetition. On every page we seem to get reminded of how attracted they are to each other, how a witch and a werewolf cannot mate, how Dora feels she can't compete with female werewolves, what they like about each other's bodies, how Dirk has yet another erection and so on. It just got boring to see the same thing over and over right through the book. The endless road trip was also quite dull as they thought the same things over and over. I'm not really a fan of romance but I didn't find it that offputting in this book because I liked the characters and the plot.

Would I read the next book? Yes I might as I am curious about what happens to the characters. I recommend this to fans of paranormal romance and urban fantasy.


  star rating photo: Three Star Rating 3stars.png

2 comments:

  1. It sounds better than the cover looks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *grins* Yeah the pouting doctor looks a bit strange doesn't she! I'm not into plots with sexual content or I might have marked it higher but it was a good read.

      Delete