My job was supposed to be easy. Investigate a bleed farm, find the a-hole vamps who've been kidnapping Normals and bring down some street justice. Now I've got a relic in my hands that was created with the blood and death magic of an elder Vampire and a whole lot more questions than answers. My name's William J. Silver. I'm a wizard - sort of. I'm the thirteenth line of the family Silver, one of the most powerful wizarding families in the world. I was born with a genetic anomaly that makes it impossible for me to tap into the Void, though. The result? I'm as Normal as any one of you. Or at least I was.
Now I've got to dodge both the Normals and the Council, both of whom would gladly tear me apart and dissect me to find out my secrets. All while I try and redeem myself for the arrogance and foolishness of my youth.
The Makeshift Wizard series is a new action-packed urban fantasy series from bestselling author MJ Kraus. Better known as Mike Kraus in post-apocalyptic circles, Mike's written multiple bestselling post-apocalyptic series and has recently expanded into the urban fantasy sphere.
My Review:
William is a wizard and a New York beat cop. Previously he worked for a crime syndicate who tried to kill him for developing a conscience over the people they were cheating. Now he is a cop and is forever getting into trouble for poking his nose into investigations that he is not involved in. After a tip, he breaks into an apartment which is alleged to be the site of a vampire bleed farm, where kidnapped humans are taken and drained of their blood. The victims have been moved but evidence of the farm does remain, along with a fleeing vampire. William is able to get his hands on the book that the vampire leaves behind, which has powerful magic in it.
With this being a short story I don't want to say too much more about the actual plot for fear of spoiling it but basically William is now a marked man because the owners of the book want it back. The only person he can turn to is best friend Sully, the man who saved his life. I love Sully and his wife as supporting characters in the plot. Hopefully we'll see more of them in future books. William is a decent MC and I found him interesting enough to carry the story.
I've already read a horror short story by this author and liked it and I'm a fan of his apocalypse books. I think I'll probably read on with this series as well when time allows.
Read July 2017.
3 stars

I think I like William already. :)
ReplyDeleteI liked this as an introduction to the characters. It certainly has potential!
DeleteSounds like a great shorter read. I'll keep my eye out for this author!
ReplyDeleteI love his apocalypse books and his horror novella, written under Mike Kraus!
DeleteThat cover reminds me of scenes on Charmed, the TV show. I've seen a lot of fireballs.
ReplyDeletesherry @ fundinmental
It is years since I watched Charmed! I'd like to look at it again some day.
Delete