Thursday, 12 October 2017

Chuckles Retro Reads: Voodoo Plague by Dirk Patton

John Chase has just arrived in Atlanta on a business trip when America experiences the worst attacks in history. Nuclear bombs destroy cities and the widespread release of nerve gas sends the majority of the surviving population into a murderous rage. Rescuing a woman who survived the attacks he must lead her to safety as Atlanta burns, raging infected roam unchecked and society disintegrates into savagery.

My Review:
John Chase is ex-military and is in Atlanta on business when nuclear bombs start to fall in cities, and releasing nerve gas. He knows he needs to find a way back to his wife in Phoenix along with two rescued companions-Rachel, a student and part-time stripper, and Dog the abandoned German Shepherd. There are going to be big problems ahead of them-armed guys, psycho rednecks and of course to make things more difficult, the local population are turning into crazed zombies. Will they make it to Arizona alive and unbitten?

This book really did have everything I love about zombie books. It was fast paced and the action scenes never let up. There is lots of zombie mayhem with slow moving males and fast moving females. We have two great MCs in John and Rachel who work well as a team and you care what happens to both of them from the moment you meet them. There is a gorgeous dog who features heavily in the plot, though I worry about the poor furry guy on every single page! There are tense survival scenes, all out guns blazing attacks, rescues and running away and great writing to tie it all together. It is certainly one of the best opening books in a series that I've read.

John is very much of the attitude of never leaving anyone behind so when his companions are in trouble, he is willing to do whatever it takes to rescue or protect them. He is also determined to get home to his wife to see if she is safe. John is the guy you want as your hero in the zombie apocalypse. He is capable but not perfect and he makes mistakes that will have you yelling at the book. I liked him very much because he is a proper good guy. I also liked Rachel as she was tough in her own way and has to deal with some bad crap on the trip. She is feisty and determined and I was so pleased to see a book where the male and female MCs don't feel the need to jump into bed. They are friends and a team. I do hope it stays that way at least until we hear about John's wife at some point in the future.

I love Dog and wanted to adopt him and keep him safe. He is loyal and brave, and is a great addition to the book. Now I know that a lot of you are going to be thinking 'does Dog survive?' I know that because I've already been asked! (yes Barb, I'm talking about you! *grins*) I understand your fears as I panic over the dog more than the human in these survival stories. I know a lot of you can't bear not knowing the outcome for the furry companion and need to know more about it before getting engaged in the book. So to let you decide whether or not you want to read the book I will insert a hidden spoiler on Goodreads to tell you if Dog lives or dies. 


My favourite scenes? There are so many. It is a road trip where they travel by different methods so the action is always evolving. I think my favourite sequence was from the car breaking down near the zombie herd and fleeing towards the lake along with the rescues to follow. There was angst, tension and fear...and that was just me! I was really on the edge of my seat reading this book and I barely put it down until it was finished. That says a lot about the storytelling ability and skill of the author. I was fully engaged in the plot and I loved the characters.

Am I planning to read on in the series? Oh yes! I have purchased the rest of the books so far and plan to reread this book and then binge on the rest of them. I am very much looking forward to whatever is going to happen next. I recommend this to fans of fast paced zombie and apocalypse fiction.
  


Read Oct 2015.
5 stars

8 comments:

  1. You make me want to read this one just for the dog...but seriously, warn me if the dog doesn't survive....cause if the dog dies I really don't want to start this series. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK everyone do not read this comment if you don't want to know about Dog! LOOK AWAY NOW! Spoiler in next sentence!!!



      Dog is alive and well at the end of book one. I haven't read the other books yet so that's all I know!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great cast and you know I love character driven stories. I probably won't check out the spoiler. I'll just take what the author dishes out. Going to grab this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to catch up on this series maybe over the winter. I loved this book as it had everything you want in a zombie book.

      Delete
  3. O
    M
    G a 5-star voodoo book!!!?? I see another PPP. I am SO SO SO SO into voodoo lately. My second WIP is about voodoo!!! THIS ONE IS A MUST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I better warn that there is no voodoo in this book! It is a straight up zombie apocalypse book. The title is very misleading!

      Delete
    2. hahaha oh nooo I have been fooled! LOL thanks for letting me know! :)

      Delete
  4. You can always count on me to want to know the doggy outcome :)

    ReplyDelete