Tuesday, 13 January 2015

Book Review: Pretties by Scott Westerfeld


Tally has finally become pretty. Now her looks are beyond perfect, her clothes are awesome, her boyfriend is totally hot, and she's completely popular. It's everything she's ever wanted.

But beneath all the fun -- the nonstop parties, the high-tech luxury, the total freedom -- is a nagging sense that something's wrong. Something important. Then a message from Tally's ugly past arrives. Reading it, Tally remembers what's wrong with pretty life, and the fun stops cold.

Now she has to choose between fighting to forget what she knows and fighting for her life -- because the authorities don't intend to let anyone with this information survive.


My Review:
I was not keen to continue with the series but I had to use this book to get points for a book challenge. Tally has been made Pretty, is having fun with Shay, developing a love interest with Zane, and joining the Crims, the most exciting group in the city. Then Croy comes to her with her letter and the cure, which Tally shares with Zane and they begin to rediscover their true selves. Now they recruit the Crims to help them as they scheme an escape and a cure for everyone.

OK how annoying is this book? The 'Pretty Speak' is annoying, mega repetitive and makes you grind your teeth. I got so sick of hearing that everything was 'bubbly' or 'bogus' every two sentences-I was ready to pull out my own eyeballs so I could make the book go away. The Pretties themselves are a giant pain and you want to slap them, with the exception of Zane, who I liked. They are a bunch of idiot airheads and I just could not enjoy listening to them prattle on like morons all the time. It was a damn relief when the cure finally arrived but it didn't cure my opinion of the book.

The slowness of the plot as the Crims finally start to wake from their operation made this book very boring and dull. All I was thinking, other than 'Die Pretties Die' was 'just get on with it!'. I just wanted something interesting to happen. Very little actually happens sadly, just a slow walk towards the big escape. By the time they are ready to escape the city, we are already at page 220 out of 370! Now that is slow by any standards, especially mine.

I was annoyed more by Shay than anyone else in this book. She was the best character in book 1 but now she is just a whiny, complaining, unbalanced cow that you want to give a good slap to. Tally was always like that anyway.

I won't be bothering with the other books after this totally bogus one... 
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Haha love this review. Sorry the series doesn't get better as it goes along. I quit after book three and never read the fourth book. It sounds terrible. I'm kind of glad I've never gone back and reread them, I don't feel like I would enjoy them even a little bit now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find I'm a lot more particular about my reading now than I was two years ago so I think I'd be the same! I actually don't read much YA now as it is too full of insta-luv, love triangles and cliche stories.

      Delete