Sunday, 25 January 2015

Book Review: Perfect by Sara Shepard (Pretty Little Liars #3)


In Rosewood, Pennsylvania, four perfect-looking girls aren't nearly as perfect as they seem.

Aria can't resist her forbidden ex. Hanna is on the verge of losing her BFF. Emily is freaking out over a simple kiss. And Spencer can't keep her hands off anything that belongs to her sister.

Lucky me. I know these pretty little liars better than they know themselves. But it's hard keeping all of their secrets to myself. They better do as I say . . . or else!


My Review:
The liars are knee deep in lies and deception as they struggle to deal with the vindictive 'A' who still seems to know everything. Aria defies Hanna to keep seeing Sean though her mind is still on Ezra. Emily is finally seeing Maya and wants to tell the police the truth about Jenna's accident. Spencer is surprised to see that Melissa is back with her ex Ian, who Spencer once had a huge crush on, and her lies about the essay are going to come back to bite her. Hanna finds herself unpopular again after a huge row with Mona means they are no longer friends.

The intrigue is ramped up again so if you don't want to know what happens in this book or my theories, stop reading now!

I loved the bitch that is 'A'! As much as I like Spencer, she just can't keep her hands off anything that belongs to her sister, whether it is the essay or Melissa's boyfriends. I just can't believe how stupid she is at times. Aria is just as bad. She wrecks her friendship with Hanna to go out with Sean and with 'A' watching her every move the dumb bitch cheats on him with Ezra. I actually felt she and Ezra deserved the embarrassing visit from the police for being so stupid. Emily's decision to go to the police causes 'A' to release photos at the swim meet of her kissing Maya, causing her parents to start forcing her to a rehab that can cure her.

Hanna probably annoys me more than the rest of the girls because she is vain, selfish and smug-but she is an interesting character. I can imagine that having been the fat girl, she can't bear the thought of slipping out of that popular circle. Mona is such a scheming cow, trying to destroy Hanna's reputation because of a misunderstanding. She is right at the top of my suspect list for 'A' especially when the car runs Hanna down and puts her in hospital. Mona started life as a loser like Hanna, was never invited into Ali's inner circle like the group of losers, becoming Queen with Hanna only when Ali was gone. Would she try to kill Hanna? I can imagine her being angry at Hanna, feeling betrayed if she thinks Hanna is going back to that old circle of friends again. Whether she wants to kill her for it is open to debate.

I knew the author was sending Spencer having blackouts into the story as a bit of a red herring, just to get the girls wondering who to trust. Attacking Melissa...well lets just say that one sister is as bad as the other in this family! I did find it interesting that Spencer now remembers attacking Ali on the night she vanished. It opens up a whole new set of questions. What did they argue about? Who saw them? Is 'A' the same person who killed Alison or another person with a grudge? Well, I think they are two different people. Someone really hated Ali-a grudge, a dirty secret etc. But for me, 'A' has a grudge against the girls themselves. Perhaps someone was jealous of their elevation to Ali's friendship, which is why I suspect Mona.

How does 'A' know all their dirty little past secrets? Well I feel that is kind of obvious-Ali kept a diary full of the stuff she witnessed and all her friend's confessions and secrets. Remember when Emily meets Maya and sees Ali's things being removed from the house when Maya's family moved in? Perfect opportunity for anyone watching to have a look at her things and find the diary. People are always nosy when something like that is going on. So, easy for anyone to grab it. I don't suspect Maya because she likes Emily so much and would have no reason to hurt her or the other girls that she barely knows, even though she had the best opportunity.

I like the tangled web that the author is creating in this series, giving you extra bits of info at the right time to make you question your own theories. It keeps it interesting. I hope the TV series is as good when I finally get round to watching it.


star rating photo: 35 star rating 3-5-stars.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment