Friday, 9 August 2013

New Release: Wicked Hunger by DelSheree Gladden


Vanessa and Zander Roth are good at lying. They have to be when they are hiding a deadly secret. Day after day, they struggle to rein in their uncontrollable hunger for pain and suffering in order to live normal lives. Things only get worse when Ivy Guerra appears with her pink-striped hair and secrets. The vicious hunger Ivy inspires is frightening, not to mention suspicious. Vanessa’s instincts are rarely wrong, so when they tell her that Ivy’s appearance is a sign of bad things to come, she listens. She becomes determined to expose Ivy’s secrets. Vanessa tries to warn her brother, but Zander is too enamored with Ivy to pay attention to her conspiracy theories. One of them is right about Ivy … but if they lose control of their hunger, it won’t matter who is right and who is wrong. One little slip, and they’ll all be dead.

Released July 2013 

 
Praise for Wicked Hunger
  • Delsheree Gladden's first book in her new YA series SomeOne Wicked This Way Comes is a riveting story of uncontrollable bloodlust that turns dealing with family, friendships, trust, devotion and love into a WICKED HUNGER -- Susan Stec, author of Dead Girls Never Shut Up and The Grateful Undead series
  • Love, love, love Wicked Hunger. It is deliciously consuming from beginning to end. My mouth is already watering for the next installment! --Elizabeth Hathenbruck, author of When the Apple Falls

Where can I buy this book?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wicked-Hunger-Someone-This-Comes/dp/0615832989/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1376049872&sr=1-6&keywords=DelSheree+Gladden 

http://www.amazon.com/Wicked-Hunger-Someone-This-Comes/dp/0615832989/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1376049925&sr=1-5&keywords=DelSheree+Gladden 

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wicked-hunger-delsheree-gladden/1116008984?ean=9780615832982 

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/wicked-hunger 

My review:

 *I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

This is a hard book to define(in a good way). I shelved it for now as urban fantasy but dark fantasy is a better description I think. I might have to create a dark fantasy shelf later!

Vanessa and Xander suffer from the family curse-a deep rooted hunger that makes them want to kill people. Keeping control is never easy and the hunger gets out of control when Ivy comes to their school. Vanessa has the constant urge to kill her but Xander is torn between murder and love for Ivy, which threatens his entire family.

This is not the all action plot that I am used to but the talent of this author is that she writes such intriguing and interesting characters that you are swept along by them and their story, so a slower plot doesn't matter as much. I really liked Vanessa. She is feisty and doing the best that she can to make a normal life despite the hunger that blights her life. Mind you, how she puts up with the idiot airhead Laney is beyond me, though I suspect she might not be as dumb as she looks on the Ivy issue. Xander is interesting because of his temper and dreadful decision making. You are yelling at him to stop being so stupid and stay away from Ivy but of course he doesn't listen. Oscar was an interesting surprise and finding out his story was fascinating. And poor Ketchup! I felt so sorry for him and Vanessa not being able to be together because of Xander. Noah is a bit of a mystery and I'm not fully convinced by him-call me cynical but I don't trust him or his intentions yet. Ivy is also very well written and there are interesting plot twists with her as the book develops. I did side with Vanessa on her opinion of Ivy though.

The theme of the book is clever. You know how the hunger works but we have yet to see the full back story of it which I assume comes in later books. I hope we get more flashbacks to the past problems that the family had because I enjoyed the ones that were there about Oscar and Lisa. How Vanessa and Xander learn to cope with it should be really interesting and the plot hints for book 2 certainly make me want to read it.

Other than my natural impatience to get into the story, I don't have any negatives to put forward. The author has taken the time to eliminate the errors that are common in the book. I think I saw one tiny spelling mistake which is better than most Indie books I read. She uses uncomplicated language with the right mixture of description and character interaction. The characters are beautifully developed so that you care about them and get right into the story as it unfolds. Ms Gladden is a very smart storyteller and I look forward to reading more of her books in the future.


star rating photo: Four Star Rating 4stars.png

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the wonderful review! I'm sharing the link now :)

    ReplyDelete