Tuesday, 27 August 2013

Book Review: Crimson Night by Marie Hall

COMING SEPT 5!

Welcome to Carnivale Diabolique ― or what I affectionally like to call the circus of the damned.

My name is Pandora, and though my face might not seem familiar to you, you do know me. I'm a Nephilim. What does that mean? I'm half demon, what's my other name? Lust. I'm the dark craving that drives you mad, makes you want, makes you reckless and stupid. I'm the drug you'll do anything to get your hands on. But I'm not all bad. I fight for light, for goodness and truth. I love my job, killing vampires and werewolves, zombies, and freaks... it's what makes me happy.

But people are starting to disappear and lately I've felt a dark presence lurking around me. I think it might be a death priest, that's not good. There isn't much a demon like me fears, but I fear them. This should have been easy, me killing the fanged freaks, getting rid of my pesky priest problem, but I'm about to be betrayed. 


*I received a free copy of this book from the author through Lovers of Paranormal in exchange for an honest review*

Pandora is half human half demon and works with others of her kind at a carnival, using people to satisfy their demon desires. Pandora's demon is Lust and has an uneasy relationship with her. A priest is trying to kill her and evil vampires are running a club with evil intent which she is instructed to investigate. With warnings from a strange being to trust nobody so who can Pandora depend on?

I liked Pandora as she was tough and feisty, and her relationship with Lust was interesting. There was an interesting mix of half demons like Kemen who was half sloth and Bubba who was a total psycho! I wasn't too keen on Luc who was a bit of a spoiled brat as well as being a bully. My first impression of him was that he was horrible to Pandora and she deserved better. He grew on me a bit as the book progressed though Kemen was certainly my favourite. I wasn't exactly enamoured by Billy either as he was also cruel with all the game playing. Run off with Kemen, girl! Grace and Mary were amusing with their interactions and GM was intriguing.

The plot was a bit heavy on the sex for my personal taste but I knew this in advance so it wasn't a problem. I liked the Carnival setting and the action scenes around the club where we see Lust at work, and see the good side of Pandora. There were enough twists and turns in the plot to keep you interested. The big reveal was obvious, especially to anyone who made the mistake of reading the Goodreads blurb, like I did! Don't read it as it gives a massive clue to the identity of the traitor and I knew very quickly who was being referred to when Pandora was talking about the people who mattered to her. That was a huge bummer and did spoil the book a bit but that's not the author's fault so I would never mark it down for that. For this review I've taken the offending bit out of the above blurb so you don't get a spoiler!

A few personal niggles about the characters and plot were the only issues I had at times, and that is common in reading any book. The writing style was good, it wasn't full of spelling mistakes(not that I noticed anyway!) and the plot kept moving forward.

There was enough in this book to interest me and I will probably want to read the next book to see what happens. The book will suit adult readers of paranormal romance and erotic paranormal, as well as most urban fantasy readers. Naturally there is plenty sexual content and adult themes so be advised!
star rating photo: Three Star Rating 3stars.png

No comments:

Post a Comment