Thursday, 22 August 2013

Book Review: Treat me Kindly by Briana Lawrence

I only ask that you treat me kindly, then I will do the same for you.

The words of the invitation whisper gently into your ear, speaking of rare and exotic animals unlike anything you’ve ever seen before. To detective Alex Sampson, however, that invitation speaks of something else. Death. Attendees at a prestigious animal auction are turning up dead, each murder more brutal than the last. The only clue to each crime points to a different animal, but when did birds and butterflies go from being aphrodisiacs for fairy tales to deadly mass murderers?


Where can I buy this book?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1615729887/ref=cm_cr_thx_view

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1615729887/ref=cm_cr_thx_view

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/treat-me-kindly-briana-lawrence/1115657714?ean=9781615729883

My review:
*I received a free copy of this book from the author through Paranormal Fantasy Dystopia and Romance Readers Writers and Reviewers Group in exchange for an honest review*

Sorry, but I just didn't like anything about this book at all. I was under the impression that this was a supernatural crime novel with sexual content but it seems more like erotica with a bit of police work and a few shapeshifters. There is constant sex and sexual violence which adds nothing to the plot for me and the way it is written was not greatly entertaining or sexy at all to me. Violence doesn't bother me one way or the other but even this got a bit predictable after a while. Sex and violence, if written well, can enhance a good plot but I kept feeling that when the writer couldn't decide exactly what to do next, more sex was thrown in. It was also a bit over-descriptive for my taste.

I hated the characters, which certainly did not help. Matthew Sharpton's parents are continually described by the titles 'Father Matthew Sharpton' and 'Mother Matthew Sharpton'. So Father Matthew Sharpton is served dinner by Mother Matthew Sharpton and then Mother Matthew Sharpton does the washing while Father Matthew Sharpton reads the paper...these titles appear umpteen times a page right through the book, and it seriously grated on my nerves every time. I have no clue why this was used or if it was meant to be funny, but I found it infuriating. Then we had the Alex the rude cop who calls his friend 'Nick Nack', knowing it has bugged him since they first met. Every time he does this Nicholas turns to him and says 'It's still Nicholas, Alex.' When this happens for about the tenth time in 80 pages, I was ready to scream. It was like an unfunny version of Airplane's 'Don't call me Shirley' joke. Seriously, these things REALLY bugged me. The cop's name of Alex Sampson kept making me think of James Patterson's Alex Cross books where his partner is John Sampson. That could just be a coincidence though.

I struggled to find things I liked in the book. On the plus side, the concept of the story was a decent one and it is nice to see different shifters being used. I liked the idea of the book but just didn't like the execution. While this book did not appeal to me personally, if you like erotic supernatural books, you might well enjoy this. It's not going to be for everyone though. If you are sensitive to violence, sexual violence and/or gay sex, you should probably avoid it.
star rating photo: One Star Rating 1star.png

No comments:

Post a Comment