Ken has very kindly agreed to answer some questions about reading, reviewing and being an Indie author.
7-What do you enjoy seeing in a book?
1-What
were your favourite childhood reads/authors?
I
was a bit weird as a kid, and some of my big “childhood” reads
aren’t really kids’ books: I remember reading The
Hobbit
fairly early on. And a hell of a lot of Star Trek tie-in books. I
always liked fantasy and SF, or certainly things that promised they
would lean that way. Some names and books that stand out are Susan
Cooper’s Dark
Is Rising
books, Luvenders
At The Old Mill
by June Considine and Robin Jarvis’ Tales
From The Wyrd Museum trilogy.
More on that last one later.
2-Do
you have any outstanding memories of reading as a child/teen?
Long
holidays where I spent most of the travel time reading in the back of
the car. And sun holidays where, no matter how many books I brought
with me, I’d be finished the lot about three days before I came
home. I also remember being a teenager as everyone started the Harry
Potter books
and was totally in awe of them, and trying to gently hint to people
that this wasn’t reinventing the wheel and there were plenty of
books out there just as good (Philip Pullman’s His
Dark Materials
was the case in point.)
3-What
genres do you enjoy?
I
can enjoy everything, but that doesn’t mean I’ll read
everything. Most of my favourite reads focus on characters and how
things happen (rather than just what.) With that in mind, I often
find myself reading books that crossover multiple genres, or even
“defy” generic conventions. But I suppose if I had to give a
traditional list, it would include SF, horror, fantasy, thriller…and
so on…
4-Are
there genres that you never read?
Yes,
for many reasons. I can’t bring myself to read romance and
“chick-lit”; which is actually really weird, since I love Jane
Austen and have even been known enjoy movies that fit into those
genres. High fantasy is another one, though not as all-encompassing:
I like reading about the human condition, so giving me non-human
characters in an un-relatable environment where the values and hopes
and dreams are so drastically different…yeah, it does nothing for
me. I’ve similar problems with some hard-SF: there’s no point
throwing story and technobabble at me with no characters to back it
up.
5-Is
there a book world that you would love to step into? A book hero
you'd love to be?
There’s
something awesome about William Gibson’s cyberpunk worlds, and that
melding of biology and technology is something that I’d love to
inhabit. Also…I love telekinesis and telepathic powers, so any
world where that exists (and I can have it.)
6-What
attracts you to buy/choose a book?
Well,
honestly, I think that one of the greatest sayings in the English
language is a big lie: of course
you judge a book by the cover. The blurb/summary sells me too, as
well as recommendations of friends and family too.
7-What do you enjoy seeing in a book?
It
varies based on what type of book it is, but I like reading about
characters and situations that are self-aware: I don’t want to read
a book where it takes a couple of hundred pages for characters to add
two-and-two together, especially not when that sum has already been
done for the readers. (That said, I know that sometimes, that’s
just got to happen to keep the story going.) I like seeing humour and
wit, even in the harshest of circumstances: we’re complicated
people with complicated feelings, and we don’t think the same way
all the time, so I like books and writers that can capture a bit of
heartache in the happy moments and that memory that brings a smile to
your face in the saddest times.
8-What
puts you off a book?
The
big one is probably selfish and/or hypocritical characters: I’ll
finish reading the book, but I sure as hell won’t enjoy it. Of
course, in some cases, that’s the point, but it’s one of my big
problems with a book like The
Catcher In The Rye:
I literally want to reach into that book and kick some sense into
Holden Caulfield.
9-What
current authors do you enjoy?
Chuck
Palahniuk is one of my favourites, a great explorer of that human
condition (and usually under such weird circumstances too.) The same
goes for Bret Easton Ellis and Douglas Coupland. I’m also…wait
for it, I’m also a comic-book nerd, and while not “authors” in
the traditional sense, I really love reading the work of Matt
Fraction and Jonathan Hickman.
10-Have
you been influenced by any authors?
Absolutely,
what author hasn’t? There’s always a turn of phrase or a way of
doing something that will inspire you, whether that’s to write, or
that inspires a particular scene or thought. I mentioned Robin Jarvis
and Susan Cooper earlier, and their talent at bringing the
supernatural (and a very grand sort of supernatural) into the real
world blows me away. The same goes for the wit and humour of Oscar
Wilde and Jane Austen. There are obviously many many more too, but I
think…as a writer, everyone and everything influences you in some
small way, even if that’s just a way of doing something that you
decide you don’t
want
to do.
11-What
made you decide to write a novel?
It’s
something I’ve always wanted to do, ever since being about ten
years old and having to do an art project where we drew our future
careers: mine was me sitting at my desk, which was probably the
most boring image I’ve ever seen in my life. I’ve always wanted
to tell the story that’s told in Godhead,
it was just a case of how and when. There was a lot of stuff going on
in my life, but I found myself with the time, drive and desire to
tell this story.
12-What
are the most rewarding and frustrating things about being an author?
There’s
an awful lot to answer there. But I’d say the
most rewarding thing is having someone that I don’t know and have
never met, just deciding to pick the book up…and then
getting in touch afterwards to tell me that they enjoyed it. As for
frustrating…hrm, I’d say negative reviews, and I don’t mean a
“bad” review, I mean the kind that really make you wonder if some
people have far too much time on their hands. And I’ve seen this
for other writers as well as myself, a review so brief and
contradictory that it makes you doubt the reviewer even read the
book.
13-How
difficult is it to promote your book?
As
an indie author…very. I’ll be honest, there are days where you
just don’t feel like doing it. But at the same time, it’s a
luxury to be able to do it. I’m fortunate enough to have a pretty
busy day-job too, so I have something to distract me. That…that’s
both a blessing and a curse.
14-What
are your strengths as author? Anything you want to improve on?
I
think characters, reactions, motivations…I’d like to think so,
anyway. Just like I like to read about complex characters and
relationships, I’d like to think I create them on the page as well.
As for things to improve on…I know I can spend a bit too much time
describing or setting up a scene: sometimes, I need to cut straight
to the chase. To be honest, even when I’m “happy” with it, I
absolutely hate writing exposition. I hate it with a vengeance. When
you’re writing this sort of novel, at some stage, someone has
to sit down and explain the rules to the characters and the readers.
That said, I’d like to think that Godhead
adds some interesting ways of doing it, and interesting reactions to
it.
15-What
do you like to see in a reader review?
I
really like to read reviews that make me want to read the book, and
that goes for all reviews: someone can enjoy a book but still not
like parts of it; similarly, someone can love bits of a book, but
think it doesn’t work as a whole. The reader who knows that is the
best sort of reader, someone who knows the difference between the
two. Even better is a reader that doesn’t like something, but
recognises why it’s there.
16-What
do you prefer not to see in reader reviews?
The
reverse recommendation, where someone says they wouldn’t bother
with a book and/or the author’s other work. If it’s a short
review, and that’s all
they say, then it’s even worse. As a writer, it’s not productive
or conducive to conversation; as a fellow reader, it doesn’t really
give much away, does it? Believe it or not, I’m all
for
(figuratively) tearing a book to shreds if you didn’t enjoy it,
provided you can give your reasons, and it’s based on more than
just a dislike of a certain character or scene (and in some cases, if
you dislike a character or scene, doesn’t that mean the author has
done their job?)
17-How
did you decide on the title Godhead and what is its significance?
I
went through so many names during the initial phase of writing, and
none of them really worked.
So many initial options were The X Chronicles, and while they sounded
cool, I don’t think any of them would have captured the sense of
grandeur and awe that I wanted to have in a story involving the gods.
My working title for most of the first draft was Kaos
Rising,
named after the demonic forces (and the idea that they would be
returning); but as I rounded the end of the first draft, Aphrodite
really came into her own, and I realised that the demons weren’t
really all that important to this story. Once I got my head around
the fact that this wasn’t a story about good versus evil so much as
these characters becoming
gods, the title sort of just fell into place. As a word, it has many
meanings in both religious and classical ways, but what I like in
this context is that it’s a sort of state of being, like
“brotherhood” or “fatherhood” but…y’know, for a god. That
makes so much sense when you look at what happens during the book,
and especially that last scene..
18-How
would you describe your book?
It’s
one of those questions I hate, because there are so many different
ways of doing it. My official synopsis is a “new adult dark fantasy
that brings the Greek gods and their influence to the present day.”
My synopsis that I use with tongue firmly in cheek (but that I love)
is…The Iliad, rewritten for a post-Buffy world.
19-How
did the idea for Godhead develop?
The
idea has always been floating around in my head, ever since I was a
teenager: it was a very different format originally, but Megan, Karl
and Hannah were fully fledged characters from older stories, and they
always formed this sort of rag-tag team that would come together and
fight evil. It was born very much of the 90s and that end-of-days
type feel that was starting to crop up throughout popular culture.
That and the stuff that I used to write that we would now call
“fanfic.”
20-Why
did you decide to include Greek mythology in the plot?
That
was the point where Godhead
really took on a life of its own. I’ve always been fascinated by
Ancient Greek mythology and culture, and I love the sense of meddling
gods, that characters (or people) can be trapped by this inescapable
fate. I needed some origin for my characters’ powers and abilities,
something grounded in fantasy, but that wasn’t “magic.” And
gods just…clicked. My initial plan was for a series, where each
book would deal with a different pantheon of gods; I had even started
to plan out a second book involving Egyptian gods, but there is such
a wealth in Greek mythology that I had to keep at it.
21-Why
did you select Aphrodite as the bad girl?
Well,
once I decided that the Greek gods were involved, I needed to figure
out how the gods themselves fit into the story: of course, it’s
thousands of years later, but they still need to figure somewhere.
Hera has been a traditional enemy in so many modern adaptations of
Greek texts, usually turning on some of Zeus’ children: part of me
wanted to keep with that tradition, with Aphrodite portrayed as this
great hero and a champion for humanity because of her great love for
them. But I also wanted to do something very different, and turn that
‘tradition’ on its head: Hera’s motivations felt flat for the
story I wanted to tell, and Aphrodite’s passions ran too hot for
her to truly play the hero. What happened was a simple role reversal,
and the rest sort of fell into place: Aphrodite’s passionate nature
makes her hot to temper and anger, the kind of villain that can
regret her actions a few moments later, but whose actions come from
the heart. She fits into a modern world surprisingly well, while
still being this sort of alien force that’s so volatile and
unpredictable.
22-Who
is your favourite character and why?
Aphrodite
is well up there: in case you couldn’t tell from that last
question, her motivations and backstory meant I fell in love with her
while writing. I love writing Hannah as well: she’s so uptight and
reserved that she’s sort of like Aphrodite’s opposite and equal
in many ways, reining in her emotions to the point that she’s still
unpredictable and dangerous.
23-The
characters have grief as a common link-why did you choose this plot
theme?
That…is
such a loaded question, but one that I’m really glad you asked. I
lost both of my grandfathers to cancer in 2009, and something I wrote
shortly afterwards was a version of the scene in the hospital where
Megan’s grandfather passes away. It came from a very personal
place, and was more of an exercise in clearing my thoughts than ever
intended to be published. But as I started writing Godhead,
that scene lingered in the background, calling my attention until I
finally decided to include it in the book. But my own emotions had
changed since then, and I wanted to sample how I felt then, and how I
would feel if I had lost someone else. Grief itself is such a
unifying force, powerful and creative, but at the same time dangerous
and destructive, and all of that fit in with the greater theme of
gods and humanity.
24-What
do like best about Godhead? Anything you wish you had done
differently?
That
changes every couple of days, and depends on who I’m talking to. I
love seeing readers respond to different things, some of them love
the drama and the human characters, and others love the fantasy
elements. I love both, and I really like that I’ve found this
balance between the two worlds: whether that always works is another
matter. As for something I’d do differently: well, it’s the first
book in a series, and those sorts of books always need a significant
info-dump. I’d love to find a way to trim the words back and cut
through all that exposition.
25-What
can we expect from your next books?
Well,
I’m currently working on the sequel to Godhead;
that’s called The
Hades Contract and
I’m hoping it’ll be out in late 2013 or early 2014. I have an
idea for some short stories as well that will cover the small time
between both books, but I haven’t even begun looking at them. I
also have another trick up my sleeve, a not-so-traditional romance
called The
Magician’s Kiss,
but that’s a different kettle of fish entirely, and I’ll need to
try a whole different bag of tricks to tell that story.
Thanks Ken!
No comments:
Post a Comment