Wednesday, 26 September 2018

Reader Problems Book Tag


I saw this tag at https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress.com/ and decided to take part. The original creator is unknown to me, sorry! If you want to take part, you're tagged!

1) You have 20000 books on your TBR, how do you decide what to read next?
I generally pick a theme or themes for the months ahead and plan out a list of what I want to try and read. I found that entire months of just the same genre can sometimes see me lose steam by the third week so now I'm trying to do three different themes, roughly ten days per genre/theme each month. It's working so far. My TBR is 1100 books I own and haven't read but if it ever got to 20000 I'd be lying buried under the buggers!

2) You're halfway through a book and not loving it. Do you put it down or are you committed?
I would never get to halfway through before the decision to DNF! That is way too much time wasted on something I'm not enjoying!As soon as I know I don't like it, I lose interest and quit to read something else. They don't get a second chance!

3) The end of the year is coming and you're behind on your reading challenge. Do you try to catch up and if so, how?
Generally, I'd find the shortest books I could find to try and get me to the target or if I'm way off because of a slump, I just reduce the target at some point. I've never failed on my Goodreads Challenge! This year my target is much lower and I've planned out all my reads so I won't have the changing to shorter read option, but I won't need it. I only have 25 books or so to go and it's still September! 

4) The covers of a series you love do not match, how do you cope?
This is something I just can't cope with! I hate it when a series with gorgeous covers suddenly changes halfway through to something crap. Yes Kelley Armstrong, your WOTO series did this to me as did Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series to name a few!!! Look at what they did to my favourites!!! First two gorgeous (4 and 8), book 12 horrible!!!


5) Everyone and their mother love a book you do not. Who do you bond with over your shared feelings?
It's likely that my dad didn't like it too as we have the same book tastes but even if he did like it, I'd tell him what I thought of it. I'd also put my review up and say why I didn't like it.

6) You're reading a book in public and you're about to start crying. How do you deal?
I don't read in public. I read in my home and occasionally on holiday if I'm not tired out. The odd time I read in the car if I'm waiting for my dad but I don't read many books that would make me cry so the law of averages is there!

7) A sequel to a book you loved just came out but you've forgotten a lot of what happens. Are you going to reread it?
I just refer to my review notes for the last book and go ahead and read it. The only time I reread the previous book is when I read the first one, bought a pile in the series that I didn't read and I'm now going back to it years later for a full series readathon. Then I'll have to reread. I did this last year with The Morganville Vampires and this year with the Kitty Norville series.

8) You do not want anyone to borrow your books, how do you politely say no when someone asks?
I never had this problem as none of my real life friends were book fans. Only my dad borrows my books and I make it clear that if he damages the spine or creases the cover, he buys me a new one! I used to give my non fiction books to my uncle until he decided to smoke his face off reading them and they were returned to me stinking! I never give him books now unless it is one I don't want back!


9) You have picked up and put down 5 books in the last month. How do you get over this reading slump?
I used to just pick up Harry Potter and settle in for a reread of that or a favourite horror book but recent slumps have made me not want to read at all. I just take time out to watch favourite TV or films and wait until I'm ready to join the booky world again. The last book that dragged me out of a reading slump was the first Extinction Trials book.

10) There are so many books coming out that you are dying to read, how many do you end up buying?
BUY ALL THE BOOKS! OK maybe not but I'm way too happy to just grab a pile from Amazon or a charity shop grab for older books! I generally check out reviews to narrow it down to the must buys or try a cheap copy on ebook first. Everything else interesting is shoved on wishlist and every few months I'll hunt some down or delete them from the list. Generally, I buy them based in order of total wantability!

11) After you purchase all of these books that you're dying to read, how long do they sit on your shelves before you get to them?
It took the best part of 7/8 years to finally read The Morganville Vampires and Kitty Norville! I have a few that I bought in 2010 that I haven't read yet but in my defence they are big slabs of cheese size! On average, maybe a couple of years?

10 comments:

  1. I love your law of averages and I'd say you gonna win that one. I don't really read books that make me cry (except a few odd dog books have made me get teary-eyed. I also love your Buy all the books answer! PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to put some kind of partial book ban on myself over the winter period as I can't fit another book on my shelves-literally! I need to read and free up space ready for spring splurge! Black Friday needs to be my cut off, then a six week book buy ban!

      Delete
  2. what a fun tag! That's why I have a monthly theme too! To help me tame my TBR beast :) HAHAHA love the shameless "BUY ALL THE BOOKS" YEAH GIRL! You do whatever makes you happy xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love buying all the books but my shelves can't take any more books at the moment so I do need to cut back and maybe just buy those in series I'm following for a month or two, then cut loose on Black Friday if there is a good sale (last year the book choice was crap!) and then a book ban for the whole of December and start of January so I can attack the pile!

      Delete
  3. I think this is one of the first tags I ever did on my blog. This year, I started tracking how long books sit on my TBR shelf. I don’t have any from 8 years ago, but I do have a few that have been there for nearly a year. I was hoping that recording their purchase dates would make me read faster and buy less, but nope.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like that seems to work with me either!I'm going to have to do something about the tbr but I'm weak! I keep buying shiny new books!

      Delete
  4. Love this book tag. I might have to do it on my blog. And I also love how you pick reading themes to choose your next books from off your TBR pile. Every year I'm getting quicker at DNF-ing a book I'm not enjoying, and I also do NOT loan out my books. Ever. (Except to the few family members who are as careful with their books as I am with mine.) Fun post! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing about it is that it's pretty quick and easy to answer! Next month my horror theme has a lot of ebooks on it but from November to January I'm trying to read mostly paperbacks so I can reduce what is in my bedroom a bit! The thought of handing over my precious books to other people except my dad gives me the twitches!

      Delete
  5. I knew you'd crack me up. LOL I love reading your tag features.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love doing these tags! I'm already doing another three!

      Delete