Thursday, 27 September 2018

Chuckles Chuntering

This week has been an improvement on last week by far. My dad is feeling much better and surprised me by constructing the new makeshift bookcases! Four of those thin corner units at £2 each in the charity shop have been turned into two small bookcases that will sit one on top of the other. I reckon I saved about £100 on the cost of buying flat pack versions from Argos and Ikea. Now they are full of books! My tbr/series unfinished mass market urban fantasy collection that will be going into that bad boy with a few favourite things like It and Jurassic Park that are waiting for rereads and new reviews! 

I also reorganised one of the other bookcases in my room. I took out most of the dvds and was able to reclaim two of the three shelves for more books which I was pleased with. It took me about two hours to get that sorted and my back is complaining but it was worth it. The Book Cave is taking shape and is almost ready to be photographed for the blog! I've got most of the room sorted by genre now which is an improvement and all books are off the floor, even if they are a bit squashed on my apocalypse shelves! As I read and remove those I don't want to keep the shelves will get a bit neater but overall it's looking ok.

I got a brilliant electric fire for my bedroom! My last one fell apart literally-it overheated so much that the plastic on the back of it started to disintegrate, which was worrying when I finally spotted it. This new one is mega warm so my Book Cave will be really cozy this winter. I doubt I'll ever need to turn it up to the second and third settings. Bargain at £20!Just a few more cosmetic things to sort tonight and my Book Cave is finished!

My dad and I decided to go through old paperwork this week and we filled two big bags of things that needed to be shredded as they had personal details on them. It has been a nightmare job trying to get that done over the last two days but hopefully we'll finish it up today. I hate the job and we have tiny strips of paper clinging to every surface and person. Such a mess! It's another task off the list for getting the place sorted but I really want to get on with the last bit of furniture moving so I can concentrate on other smaller jobs that need doing. Still, we're getting there I suppose!

14 comments:

  1. I also hate shredding. Stuff that needs to be shredded piles up so fast! Then you suddenly have tons of it. I’m glad the bookshelves and fireplace are working for you. My space heater started on fire last winter, so I don’t have one anymore.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought we were done with the shredding but my dad has found a ton of old paperwork in his bedroom so we'll tackle that later in the winter I think! It is a horrible job! My Book Cave is almost ready for photographs-just a little more tidying and we're all set! I think I'm just about ready for winter. I hope you can get a decent fire before your weather turns bad!

      Delete
  2. You guys really are "nesting" for the winter :) I can't wait to see some pics of the book cave! And that stove sounds like a real bargain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're both looking forward to a stress free winter of just watching films and TV each day along with a few favourite sporting events! We just need to get the work done on other things over the next two or three weeks!

      Delete
  3. Ugh I have a filing cabinet filled with stuff that needs shredding. I've been ignoring it . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a soul destroying job and it's so messy! We've found more stuff to shred upstairs but that can wait a few weeks!

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you've been busy. What a deal on the book cases! And I look forward to cooler temps just because of how cozy a fire is. I don't have a fireplace but I have a fire pit out back and I enjoy sitting out there listening to the world go by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad saw the corner units and figured he could turn them into bookcases I could use so I'm pretty happy! The electric fire will be just enough to heat my room on the cold winter nights while I read! We'll be busy the next few weeks as I still have a lot of stuff I want to get through.

      Delete
  5. I'm happy to hear that your Book Cave is coming along and you'll stay warm when the weather turns cooler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy with my room. It just needs a bit of tidying and I'm done. My dad's room is next and then we tackle downstairs. This is what happens when you leave a few niggly things a few years and then suddenly you have a ton of stuff to do!

      Delete
  6. Oh how fun about the bookcases! There really isn't much better than getting a new bookcase. So glad you got a new fireplace. That's a bit scary about the old one. I've thought about adding an electric fireplace to my book room when I get it set up but I'm not that far along yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to get all the work done this summer but it was too hot for hard work! The old fire was a bit scary when I realised what was happening but the shiny new one is good!

      Delete
  7. Aahh, yay new bookcases! Something about getting books all neatly organised really pleased me. (You might have noticed...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always exciting to get a new bookcase (or a few!) isn't it! The sorting is like therapy!

      Delete