Welcome to Chuckles Chat where great
blogging minds unite to discuss the topics of the day mainly in the book
and blogging world. I'll be sharing my thoughts on a topic and then
inviting you all to share your thoughts. It's ok to disagree but PLEASE
be respectful of each other's views! All of the comments on my blog are
moderated and offensive posts ie racist, bigoted will not be published!
NB: I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus, or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow them to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I won't comment on any blog that makes me sign in using another account.
This week I tackle the topic of follow up visits. When someone leaves a comment on my blog I have to approve it before publication, and this makes it nice and easy to spot when someone replies to my reply, and I can then reply again. But what about the comments that I leave on your blogs?
Time is an issue on the internet for all of us. We all have other things that need our attention each day like work, family, hobbies, housework, reading, walking the dog, shopping and whatever else you can think of. Getting time to fit all we want to do into each day is difficult and some days it can be impossible! My two computer priorities are answering comments on my blog and visiting other blogs to leave comments on them and seeing what everyone is posting about. I usually get to this every day but sometimes it takes an extra day if things are busy.
However the one thing that bugs me is that I rarely get to leave a follow up comment. There is nothing I would like more than to visit each blog post again, maybe a day or two later, to see what the reply to my comment was. Sometimes my comment might have the blog owner posting a question to me or starting a conversation-but I'll never know because I can't seem to find time to get back and look at the posts a second time. It does frustrate me and I want to assure people that I'm not ignoring questions like that on purpose, it's just that I haven't seen it! I can see from my own blog that a few of you do come back to the post I've done to leave follow up comments and I hate that I haven't had a chance to do the same with your blogs. I am working on trying to find the time to do that but at the moment my schedule isn't allowing that. *hangs head in shame*
Do you get time to go and leave follow up comments? Do you want to find time to do it or are you content with leaving just one comment? Do you get people leaving follow up comments on your blog?
NB: I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus, or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow them to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I won't comment on any blog that makes me sign in using another account.
This week I tackle the topic of follow up visits. When someone leaves a comment on my blog I have to approve it before publication, and this makes it nice and easy to spot when someone replies to my reply, and I can then reply again. But what about the comments that I leave on your blogs?
Time is an issue on the internet for all of us. We all have other things that need our attention each day like work, family, hobbies, housework, reading, walking the dog, shopping and whatever else you can think of. Getting time to fit all we want to do into each day is difficult and some days it can be impossible! My two computer priorities are answering comments on my blog and visiting other blogs to leave comments on them and seeing what everyone is posting about. I usually get to this every day but sometimes it takes an extra day if things are busy.
However the one thing that bugs me is that I rarely get to leave a follow up comment. There is nothing I would like more than to visit each blog post again, maybe a day or two later, to see what the reply to my comment was. Sometimes my comment might have the blog owner posting a question to me or starting a conversation-but I'll never know because I can't seem to find time to get back and look at the posts a second time. It does frustrate me and I want to assure people that I'm not ignoring questions like that on purpose, it's just that I haven't seen it! I can see from my own blog that a few of you do come back to the post I've done to leave follow up comments and I hate that I haven't had a chance to do the same with your blogs. I am working on trying to find the time to do that but at the moment my schedule isn't allowing that. *hangs head in shame*
Do you get time to go and leave follow up comments? Do you want to find time to do it or are you content with leaving just one comment? Do you get people leaving follow up comments on your blog?

I like leaving followup comments. I sort of wish Blogger had the "like" option like Wordpress does, because then the person knows you read their comment, even if there is not much to say back, such as with my can't wait wednesday posts. When a comment is "sounds great", how much is there to say back. But, that's the nature of that sort of post. I know one blogger mentioned that she would rather do visits back than respond to all comments. There are few bloggers out there, who I normally get into discussions with, so we go back and forth, but that is not the case with most of the people who visit. I think it's nice to be acknowledged though.
ReplyDeleteYeah I agree with you there-it can be difficult to comment on some comments left! The 'like' option is a good idea. It would also help people who don't leave a lot of comments to like the post instead and still be interacting with the blog. I really want to find the time to go back and visit other people's blog posts to see how they replied to my original comment-I just need to find a way to get more organised!
DeleteI occasionally go back and leave follow-up comments, but it’s pretty rare. I don’t usually have time. Most of my internet time is spent commenting on link-ups or commenting back to people who commented on my blog. I need to clone myself and force my clone to spend her life dealing with blog comments.
ReplyDeleteAj @ Read All The Things!
Time is so hard to find isn't it! There are tons of things I want to fit into my day but can't at the moment like hang out on Pinterest, get on Twitter more, follow a lot more blogs etc! A clone would be a really great thing! My clone could do the housework too...
DeleteI try to go back and check and leave follow up comments on the blogs I visit, but it's impossible to check every comment on every blog every time. So for me, it's hit or miss. But I do try. :)
ReplyDeleteI need to make more of an effort for sure!
DeleteFinding the time to comment the way that I would like is one of my biggest blogging issues. Well thought out comments take a lot of time and I just don't always have a lot to spare. I try to remember if I asked a question and then check back but it doesn't always happen.
ReplyDeleteIt's annoying that real life gets in the way of the fun stuff!
DeleteI try to at times but I admit, time sometimes gets the best of me. If someone asks a question or I do on their blog, I always try to remember to at least do follow up visits on those occasions. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing good to leave any replies at all :)
ReplyDeleteYou get those kinds of days where you can't seem to find the time for just basic visits and comments-I hate those days as I feel bad for not getting things done!
DeleteThanks to my wordpress app, sometimes I get alerts when someone replies to my comment. When that happens, I definitely follow up, especially if they ask me a question! Unfortunately, that alert only works for wordpress blogs.
ReplyDelete~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum
I know there is an email alert option for some blogs but I tried that once and ended up drowning in the things! I guess I just need to try harder if I don't want to use alerts!
DeleteSometimes commenting can be very time consuming. If I'm short on time, I don't comment back on my own blog right away. Instead I visit those who commented on mine and comment back. When I have more time, I do reply to my blog comments later in the evening.
ReplyDeleteI usually go back to follow up comments if it's a discussion post or a book that I'm interested in, or if I ask a question on their post. I also try to find a previous post that I commented on to see if I should comment back to their reply.
Blogging is suppose to be fun and I'm pretty sure no one will hold it against you if you don't have time to comment on their posts. Life is busy.
The first thing I do in the morning is answer comments on my blog so I can get my ongoing Around The Blogs Post set up, the open another window and start lurking on other blogs to leave comments while I decide which posts to add to my ATB each day! That's on an organised day though...Life certainly can get in the way of fun!
DeleteI respond to all comments on my blog but rarely go back to visit other blogs to read their response to my comments. A few send me notifications with an easy link so that helps.
ReplyDeleteIt's too bad because I think we're all looking for a conversation on our blogs but unless it's a discussion post (like this) I won't go back.
Karen @ For What It's Worth
Maybe I should start with trying to go back to discussion posts and get that into my schedule first then maybe find the time to gradually fit more things in. That could be worth a try...
DeleteIt seems to be something I struggle with too. Lately, as summer winds down, I find less time for commenting. I always appreciate you visiting my blog.
ReplyDeletesherry @ fundinmental
It is hard to keep up with everything isn't it! I think we all have that time issue holding us back. I very much appreciate your visits too!
DeleteI know what you mean. I usually save a post I want to revisit and some have where you can receive an email for a response to your comment. I check comments several times a day unless I'm away from home. I reply to all comments. Ir's the least I can do and I also enjoy it:)
ReplyDeleteI tend to check twice a day if time allows but mostly I do it first thing in the morning so I'm always playing catchup a bit! I enjoy replying to comments and visiting blogs...just need more hours in the day for it!
DeleteI'm the same as you. I leave a comment but as much as I'd like to check back and follow up or maybe subscribe to the comment I just can't find the time in my day to do it correctly. I am so bad at this part of blogging but there are only so many hours in the day, right? You gotta do what you can.
ReplyDeleteYou're right Bark, we can only do what we can. Just wish I could stop feeling guilty about it!
Delete