Hi again!
I'm looking for some more help on my weight loss adventure. I'll tell you right now, I don't like vegetables. The exception is the onion which I love in various forms. Red onion, white onion, spring onion, pickled onion, I'm all over it. If there is a bit of salad on a plate beside a steak or a toastie I can eat it as I paid for it but I just am not a fan, which makes healthy eating difficult.
But if I blend it up into a soup then I can eat most veg. I used to get this homemade soup pack in Aldi for a corn chowder soup where you blend the ingrediants and I loved it despite hating corn. Pity is doesn't seem to be available there now. They do a decent potato and leek which I grab sometimes. I make my own pea and ham soup, and a cheese carrot and onion concoction that I love. I'm still trying to recreate the carrot and lentil soup with ham that my mum used to make but I can't get it right yet. Soup is good! It gets some healthy food into me without me turning up my nose at the individual veg.
My one requirement is that pretty much all of the veg except the onion has to be blended. I'm ok with grated carrot though if need be or very small bits but not great chunks of veg. I like those nice thick soups that warm your bones but as long as the soup is smooth and tastes good I'm fine with something thinner. So what I'm looking for are tasty soup recipes if you have any. Anyone got a good corn chowder recipe? Anything lentil or tomato based? Hints for good spices to use to change a flavour? Good soups I can make with beef stock? Seafood chowders and lobster bisques? Your favourite seasonal soups? I HATE peppers and strong chilli flavours so the soup has to taste mild.
Please feel free to leave as many comments as you want if you have a few different recipes or you can email me at chucklestheprotea@googlemail.com.

I will see what I have and let you know. As you probably know, Mr. Barb does most of the cooking and he is pretty good at just throwing anything into the pot. He does make a pretty good chicken soup with just chicken stock, shredded chicken breast and then egg noodles. He will sometimes throw shredded carrots in as well.
ReplyDeleteThanks Barb! I need to feed my taste buds something new and winter soup is always welcome! Sounds like Mr Barb is very handy...he can come to my prepper compound when I build it along with you and the furry guys!
DeleteI love soup, and am always looking for ways to make it healthier and/ or keep the sodium fairly low, since apparently I have to do that now lol. And I'm picky about veggies too, so it does make it kinda hard...
ReplyDeleteIt is hard when you aren't a veg fan isn't it! Blending them into soups work well for me. I could live off my cheesy carrot and onion soup.
DeleteDo you like salsa? There's nothing I like better than a fresh home made salsa! I know you said you don't like strong chili flavors but most recipes have options where you can make it super mild, so I don't know... Anyway, I do this salsa soup when I'm short on time where I combine it with chicken broth and some slice chicken breast. It's easy to put together and so yummy :)
ReplyDelete~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum
Mild salsa would be fine. I have issues with peppers and chilli but I tend to just miss them out when making stuff. That salsa soup sounds great! Could you send a recipe?
Delete