This series of posts will be about the coronavirus situation, how it is impacting me here in Scotland and interesting gossip and opinions I'm hearing through our media. I'll be posting as and when I have something to share but I take no responsibility for the accuracy of the news I share or the medical advice and opinion that I mention.
Chuckles Stress Level Monday 9am
My dad went out to get a few extra items for my uncle's freezer to make sure he has some extra stuff. But I cannot convince him to stockpile enough for a couple of months in case of lockdown. 'It'll be fine' he keeps saying. I'm trying to tell him that in a week or so, my dad and I will be going into lockdown and we won't be able to go out but he isn't listening yet! I'm tearing my hair out here, I really am. I have visions of him going out during the worst of the outbreak and being stubborn about it.
Chuckles Stress Level Monday 12pm
I was enjoying watching Jaws this morning. I love that bit where they are drinking on the boat and comparing scars, and Hooper points at his chest and says 'Mary Ellen Moffat...she broke my heart.' That totally crack me up every time! I also watched The Meg straight after, which I enjoyed again. Deliveries from Amazon! This improved my mood. I got two cds-Abba and the Wonder Stuff and the two books I was waiting for. Also arriving were my box of assorted cheese crackers, four boxes of Dairy Box chocolates and Special Pig cheesy snacks. I'm still waiting on a few things to come this week.
The panic buying has really hit our supermarkets. My dad nipped into Asda to get crisps, tins of chocolate, fresh orange juice, beer, lime cordial (I like my lager and lime!) and those lovely Asda pizzas! My dad reports that there must have been a Bog Roll Bonanza as there was none, nor was there any kind of water, tinned meat, pasta, frozen meat, milk or bread. Wow, things are certainly heating up here. It seems there was chaos and these scenes are now being repeated all over Scotland in supermarkets-I've seen the photos online through today. Is there total chaos where you are? Try things like discount stores, farm shops, specialist places like B&M, sales in smaller grocery stores etc to get supplies if supermarkets are out of stuff. Amazon currently have a great deal on sparkling water in the UK and it gets delivered to your door so you don't need to hoof it home from supermarkets!
I'm listening in disbelief to the WHO representative. I love how he assumes that we all live in bloody mansions! He's banging on about isolating anyone sick at home in seperate bedroom and for that person to use a different bathroom to everyone else. Have you ever lived in a terraced house in central Scotland matey boy? We have two bedrooms, a small kitchen, tiny bathroom and small hallway. That is it! We don't have multiple bathrooms and extra kitchens for hygenic cooking during the crisis! Get a grip on our reality!!! And then he asks us to go to their site and donate money. They have been critical of things each country are doing and give out different advice to what our government experts are saying, then wonder why we are confused about what to do. They were also the last to call it a pandemic when we could all see clearly that it was a pandemic!!!
Chuckles Stress Level 5pm:
It has happened. Our PM and Chief Medical and Science Officers have just given a press conference. By the weekend those over 70 and those of us who have underlying health issues have to voluntarily isolate for twelve weeks. That covers myself, my dad and my uncle. It seems to have come so suddenly and I feel a bit freaked out. I knew it was coming, I prepared for it in every way, my dad and I discuss it every day...but now the moment is here, I feel pretty worried and a bit scared. We have decided to look at one trip out to collect my uncle's prescription on Wednesday as planned and buy in stuff for him whether he wants it or not, then we go into isolation on Thursday. I won't ignore health advice and I don't want any of us catching this with the state of our lungs.
This was an unexpected end to the day and my brain is madly whirring. Tonight is going to be comfort eating and trying not to have a personal meltdown! I'll be continuing my virus diaries as we prepare for lockdown...




TWELVE weeks?!? Are they crazy?!? How is one supposed to stockpile for three months, not to mention that there are perishable items you can't keep for so long?!? I guess there are organisations that will deliver things at your door, but still. It sounds like your government went from underestimating the situation to over-panicking about it. I hope it won't be necessary for you and your family to self-isolate for all that time. Either way, stay strong!
ReplyDeleteHere in Italy we're only going out for necessity reasons (work, food and medicine shopping, walking the dog if we have one because the poor things need their time out). All the shops that don't sell necessary things are closed until April 3rd. And we can only enter one to four/five per shop (more if it's a supermarket) in order to keep our distance. School have been closed since the beginning of the month, while the shop lock-down has been in place since last Tuesday. The only thing we can do is keep calm and wait it out. I hope it's enough.
Good luck!
I'm ok about this. I always keep my freezer fully stocked and tinned and dried food so I have plenty for the three months once the perishable foods are gone. I'm fanatical about getting good dates on things! At the moment the self isolation for us is advised and voluntary and I'm happy to comply. I'm not planning on government help but I'll get through this fine!
DeleteI will still be going to our tlocal shop by car for milk and newspapers until it is not safe to do so. I have sanitiser and gloves for such visits. I've really felt for your country with the way it all happened so fast and the number of cases and dead you have. You're right, staying calm is vital and it will pass eventually. Please stay safe over there!
At least you don't have to self-isolate from all of your book blogging friends! Hang in there and keep us posted on life in Scotland.
ReplyDeleteI'll be posting on all the exciting events in my Lockdown Life-like ironing, cleaning...ugh!
DeleteIf anyone can survive this quarantine than I know it's you guys. The important thing is you guys are minimizing your risk. I wish we were in the position to stay home as well but alas, we need a paycheck. However, we are doing everything we can. The boys and I are sending you love and prayers!
ReplyDeleteI feel bad for everyone who has been forced to be at work-I get that some jobs are essential but too many are dealing with idiot bosses who are keeping people at work who should be home.
DeleteThe social distancing order did come quickly! Sent work into a tail spin... I took a trip to Costco to stock up on pet food (we had some but I was worried not enough) and it was the equivalent of visiting one of the circles of hell!
ReplyDeletePet food is certainly essential for our furry friends! Shopping is certainly a circle of hell at the best of times but especially now!
Delete