Sunday, 15 March 2020

The Coronavirus Diaries #3


This series of posts will be about the coronavirus situation, how it is impacting me here in Scotland and interesting gossip and opinions I'm hearing through our media. I'll be posting as and when I have something to share but I take no responsibility for the accuracy of the news I share or the medical advice and opinion that I mention.

Chuckles Stress Level Friday 7pm: 


We got a call tonight from my uncle. He was at a routine GP appointment today and they detected a bit of a chest infection for which he has been given antibiotics and steroids. He has been told to self isolate for a full week. He doesn't have coronavirus but he does have a long term chronic lung condition, so this added chest infection leaves him super vulnerable to anyone who is infected. He is not happy at having to stay home (or about all the football being cancelled!) so he has had to ask my dad to go out and get a few extra supplies in for him tomorrow.

Chuckles Stress Level Saturday noon: 


My dad went to Aldi to get the stuff for my uncle. He grabbed cakes, cheese (ricotta, parmesan, red leicester and extra mature cheddar as I'm a cheese fanatic), sparkling water, pizza, iced coffee, chocolate chip cookies, shortbread and tablet while he was there, just as a treat. I feel like I need it all! I've had my old friend insomnia this week which I could've done without. I keep thinking about my supplies and fretting over whether I have everything we need or if I've forgotten something vital and my dad is trying to assure me that we have what we need. I thought prepping was meant to take away the anxiety!!!

Chuckles Stress Level Sunday 10am:


Got the cleaning spray and was out in the cold air this morning, scrubbing down the front door, including knocker, handle and letterbox. I have Amazon packages coming this week and will clean the door again after each delivery, just to be safe from germs! I treated myself to a couple of books by favourite authors Rick Chesler and Darrell Maloney, a bamboo cheeseboard to eat my cheese off, some chutneys to use with it, and a couple of old favourite cds. 

I notice with interest that charities and volunteers are going to go around the doors of elderly people in England to see if they need help with urgent supplies, letters to be posted etc. If I was the elderly person I wouldn't be opening the door to strangers at all. There is the chance that it is a con man who tries to force his way into your home or is casing the joint or might take money from you to do your shopping/steal your medicine and do a runner! We get this type of tosser on our doorstep every couple of months. There is also the risk that legitimate kind people who are really trying to help, infect the person in the house by accident! Good idea in theory but I see issues with it.

British cases: 1372
British deaths: 35

We're still low as cases and deaths go, which makes it understandable that the government want life to go on as normal for as long as possible. It SHOULD still be safe to shop in most parts of the UK that have a low number of cases. But what if I get it wrong? When is it time to stop going out? When do I pull up the drawbridge and sit tight for a few months? Should I now avoid the GP surgery just in case an infected person is dumb enough to come in? My uncle is in his 70's so does he have all he needs for when my dad and I stop going out? 

I swear my head is going to burst...

8 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear that your uncle isn't feeling well. Your dad is awesome for getting him the things he needs. Cleaning everything sounds like a good plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, my uncle is on good medication and staying indoors. We're getting more supplies and medication for him tomorrow so he is finally listening to us. If necessary, I'll drop off another bag of stuff to his door in a few weeks.

      Delete
  2. Last I saw there were around 3000 people infected here in the US and 62 deaths. In Nevada where I live there are 16 cases right now. We have what we need for a month. Stores have said that they will continue to restock. The Mexican market and the Asian markets still have everything in their stores so we shop at the Mexican market near us.

    My brother got sick with a bad cold and ended up in the ER. He was tested and doesn't have it thankfully.I hope your uncle gets better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the homeless and the junkies hanging around, please be safe when Mr Mary is getting stuff from the market. Maybe use the car so he isn't walking by the aggressive ones? I'm glad you have good shops so close to you. We'll not be going anywhere except our local shop and pharmacy which is a minute away by car. I'm so relieved about your brother! Stay safe Mary!

      Delete
  3. Your poor uncle! Stay safe guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super scary with your uncle's lung condition but I hope he recovers from his chest infection and manages to avoid C-19!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With him living alone, it's stressful to worry about him!

      Delete