Friday, 13 March 2020

The Coronavirus Diaries #2


This series of posts will be about the coronavirus situation, how it is impacting me here in Scotland and interesting gossip and opinions I'm hearing through our media. I'll be posting as and when I have something to share but I take no responsibility for the accuracy of the news I share or the medical advice and opinion that I mention.

The government are being hammered by people who want everything in Britain closed down now, just because other countries are doing it. We are following the advice of scientific and medical experts, who don't think Britain needs to shut schools yet. The chief medical officer had more good points to make on the issue yesterday and today, as to WHY shutting schools could cause more problems.

-shutting the schools means parents who can't find affordable and reliable childcare will have to take time off work to look after them.

-parents who do so when they are not ill or have not been told to self isolate will not be eligible for statutory sick pay, which will impact them paying the bills. 

-parents who work in the emergency services, health service or other vital services will not be going into work at a time when they are needed to keep things running in the crisis. Fewer people at work impacts services and puts strain on their work colleagues.

-if schools are closed for fear of spreading infections, parents will then have to stop their kids going out and catching and spreading the virus anyway. There is no point in closing schools until you are telling everyone to stay indoors.

-if parents ask the grandparents to babysit to let them go to work, and they DON'T isolate their kids from their friends, the grandparents may be more at risk of serious illness. 

-once schools shut, they have to remain shut until the crisis is over which could be many months away. If they are closed too soon, people will complain about the length of isolation measures.

I totally get what they are saying. Once you go into shutting schools, it could be months before it is time to lift the restrictions. The experts think that it could be fourteen weeks before the cases peak in the UK, so schools could be closed beyond the start of new school years in August for Scotland and September for England. It's about shutting the schools at the right time-not too early and not too late. It's a pretty fine line and I'm glad it ain't my decision!


The English football chiefs today had to postpone the football leagues because of positive cases of coronavirus-the Arsenal manager, a player at Chelsea testing positive. Bournemouth, West Ham and Everton players self isolating. Leicester players being tested. There was no option but to postpone the football until April. Scottish football have also suspended their football leagues but I don't know if that is until April too. It's possible that the European Championships may be cancelled to let the football leagues play the backlogged games through the summer. It's all up in the air at the moment. I'm relaxed though, as my team's win this week took us from second bottom to fourth bottom!  We're out of the relegation and playoff places! We're alright Jack, whatever...

Prince Charles and Camilla have been asked by the government to postpone their upcoming tour to Bosnia, Herzegovina, Cyprus and Jordan. Yes, don't take any chance of Charles taking ill...he's in his 70's after all and I don't want anything to happen to him or William's family as I can't stand the thought of whiny Harry as a future Monarch! He should have been removed from the line of succession when he had a strop and quit the royal family!


Italy has been critical about the lack of help from fellow EU nations during their time of need. Other EU nations have refused to send medical supplies into Italy, prompting Italy to react with anger. Good news for Italy came when China came to the rescue with seven medical experts and thirty tonnes of medical supplies. How nice to see them come to assist another country after all the problems China has experienced. I also notice with interest that Irish leader Varadker has locked everything down in his country but still managed to go to the US to meet Donald Trump!

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen has managed to upset many people in Britain by insisting that her EU continue to have control over our laws, fishing grounds, financial dealings and trade decisions, despite us LEAVING the EU. Now she is picking a fight with Donald Trump over his new travel ban on visitors from Europe (except UK and Ireland). It seems that President Trump is not permitted to take decisions in his own country without consultation with her. Why am I not surprised! She is already annoyed that European nations are abandoning group decisions to take decisions for themselves. Governments in Europe and elsewhere need to be able to make the right decisions for their own people without her interfering. 

Also in the US, former President Obama has been critical of the way Trump has handled the situation with the virus, saying that there should be more of a lockdown to control the spread. Trump's supporters replied that during the swine flu and H1N1 outbreaks, Obama did not lock things down in the way he is saying Trump should do, prompting calls of hypocrisy. Trump is now blaming Obama for the slow response of the CDC because of changes he says Obama made to slow down a CDC response. Sheesh, how are any Americans meant to know what is going on with all these comments flying back and forward!  

I'm going to forget it all tonight and settle down with Cookie Dough ice cream and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets book!!!

17 comments:

  1. There is a lot of debate about school closures here too for all the reasons you mentioned.

    I've bought my supplies, Kevin is working from home. We still go out but try to keep it to low crowd places - which is easy where I live.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, avoid crowds and coughing people, keep hands clean...it's the best protection for sure. My dad and I are getting a last few things in for stubborn uncle before Wednesday's self imposed lockdown! I'm glad you guys are ok!

      Delete
  2. I'm sad at how power play and ego is affecting how we get our information. I plan on just keeping on with my job and routine and waiting to see how things progress. So frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually felt relief when the government advised voluntary isolation for those with health issues-it took away the uncertainty at last! Just stay safe Laura!

      Delete
  3. I'm an American, but I only actually know what's going on in the world or America by watching other countries' news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy isn't it! Our print media are printing potential death tolls which is disgusting and scaring people senseless. The government is doing a good job of explaining things and trying to keep everyone calm. But some studio experts still insist on disagreeing with official advice and it can be confusing!

      Delete
  4. Sometimes its best not to listen to the news. It can really ramp up the stress levels. The elementary school where I work is still open (because we haven't had any cases of the virus in the county where I live), but they're taking it week by week. Church on Sunday has been cancelled though. And all the big sporting events. It's crazy. Have a happy cookie dough-Harry Potter weekend! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coronavirus update: they just closed all the public schools where I live for the next two weeks. Fun times!

      Delete
    2. Ugh, more kids roaming the streets! The parents are going to have fun stopping them leaving the house...My dad is grumpy about the sport being cancelled but I'm ok with it. We plan to watch more films and maybe rewatch Game of Thrones!

      Delete
  5. This whole situation is crazy. Some schools are closing a few days early here for spring break. But a lot of the school officials don't want to close school completely because they said that parents have no babysitters and for some kids the only meals they get are the free meals at school. So if they can't come to school, they won't be eating. it's a serious concern because there are a lot of low income and homeless kids that go to school but are living out of their parents cars with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tricky one isn't it? If those parents are health care workers, having them stay home is a bad thing. It's tough to make that decision as to when to bring in tougher measure. That's a good point about the free meals...I hadn't thought of that. This is going to really hurt a lot of people.

      Delete
  6. Our American football, baseball, basketball and possibly hockey seasons are done. I never would have thought it.

    I've also heard a lot of conspiracy theories that this is a test run of germ warfare. Now that is a scary thought!

    Bookstooge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read so much fiction about pandemics and other disasters...now I feel like a character in one of those books! It's a very weird feeling! Germ warfare-I've seen those theories too and nothing would surprise me!

      Delete
  7. Mmmm, Cookie Dough ice cream! Love it.

    The entire covid situation is insane. The news is irritating and people blindly flapping and squawking about everything the government is doing (or not doing) without having any understanding of the science & logic behind it is getting on my nerves. I fully support the interventions they've made so far...

    As for the EU... Well. They're going to get a very rude awakening with the trade negotiations. People can criticise Boris and the government all they want but they're not going to be cowed or threatened which I think it critical in this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree-I think the government is doing the best they can. I like the two experts that are advising Boris. They seen calm, controlled and give the information in a clear and uncomplicated way. I'm just waiting for today's press conference....

      Boris has surprised me since he took office. He got changes to the agreement I never thought he could get, he got agreement for a general election to thwart Parliament Remainers and now he is doing a decent job with law and order and the virus. The Labour ones constantly trying to score points are getting on my nerves!

      Delete
  8. We just had a team huddle at work to discuss how this is going to impact our members... When times get tough, people tend to drop their marketing efforts, which I totally understand. Such a crazy situation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, a huddle? Is it safe to huddle?! *grins* It all feels a bit unreal doesn't it!

      Delete