Welcome to my feature Chuckles Weekend Roundup where I will be looking at what books I've received, anything interesting I've done or bought or watched and other random stuff. I'll be taking a look back at what happened in my blogging world too, sort of like The Sunday Post that some of you do!
Please note that I'll be visiting your STS/SP as normal, but I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus, or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow DISQUS to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I am the only one who does that on my social media! I won't comment on any blog that makes me sign in using another account. Sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me because I deleted my account with them but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!
****************
Another week has gone by and I can't believe that we are marching through March already. I usually enjoy winter in front of a warm fire, reading and watching TV but this winter has been horrible for me! Frequent storms, storm damage in the garden, appliances breaking down, reading slumps, my thyroid playing up and leaving me feeling cold all the time, coronavirus...I will be glad to get into a nice warm spring and put most of that misery behind me! It's been a week of checking cupboards to ensure we're ready for self isolation when it comes, getting in a few treat things like junk food, watching the news and trying to remember that I am ready for whatever is coming!
The reading slump just seems to be forever there this year. I'll read a book or two without issue then not want to read at all for no reason. It's frustrating. I have decided to get started on a Harry Potter series re-read and I've enjoyed reading and reviewing the Philosopher's Stone again. I'm going to try and read other things in between each book but I'm not setting any targets right now. Maybe I need to go back on the short stories and try to deal with the anthologies to get things moving. Gah, I just want to get back to reading 20 books a month without all this darn angst!!!
Virus quarantine food time! This week, I was happy that we had all the essentials. Those who follow me know I have a full cupboard for food, and the necessary cleaning supplies. Two trips out this week were all about getting treat food that can be stored for a while. Two tubs of ice cream for my dad- a litre each of raspberry pavlova and mint choc chip, 4 round tubs of Ben & Jerry for me-three Phish Food and one Cookie Dough! Multipack crisps in the form of Monster Munch, Square crisps and French Fries. Easter Eggs, Cadbury mini eggs (YUM!), shortbread, Maryland cookies, my dad's breakfast bars...Also not forgetting the cheese and cracker selections for nights with a good book!
Chuckles Blogging World
I'm pretty much up to date for once as I go into the weekend, which is good. I'm not usually on schedule like this!
Book Reviews
Brian Hoey-Not In Front Of The Corgis
Andrew Morton-Meghan A Hollywood Princess
JK Rowling-Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Regular Posts
Chuckles Friday Reading Roundup
Around The Blogs With Chuckles
Around The Blogs With Chuckles-Coronavirus Edition
Discussion Posts
Musical Chuckles #1
Musical Chuckles #2
Coronavirus The Actual Facts?
The Coronavirus Diaries #1
Reading Challenges
none this week
Films & TV & Music
I watched The Mummy, Mamma Mia 2, The Empire Strikes Back again this week. Mornings can be a bit dull! I've been watching the news a lot for virus updates and my dad has been watching football. I've been listening to Abba's 'Voulez Vous', Billy Joel's 'Glass Houses', Shakin' Stevens 'Epic Years', just for fun!
Book Tags/Blog Awards
none this week
The Week Ahead
I need to fill another bag of books for the charity shop so it's time to look at my physical shelves and part with the stuff I don't want to read again. This will give me two bags to donate and we'll try to get them out the house next week while we still can! I have a third bag of books to donate to the club my uncle drinks at. My dad has to go to the bank to fight about being charged for an incomplete transaction so that'll be stress for him. I'll be waiting for Amazon packages to arrive including books by favourite authors! I'm 'hoping' to get these books read this week as this week has not been a success.




I'm so ticked at how the virus is being handled here in the states. Currently you can only get tested if you've been out of the country or have come into contact with someone diagnosed. Well, the second is unlikely if people can't get tested. We thought co-worker might have been exposed earlier this week and she went directly home but then the "test" came back negative for the two she was exposed to. Now I'm doubting a test was done at all and she is worried. It's stuff like that that makes is so maddening. Okay, rant over.
ReplyDeleteYou have the best taste in Ben & Jerry's. Those are my faves. I also love the Cadbury mini-eggs. I hope you and your dad have a wonderful week and here's hoping his bank problems are sorted out easily.
That sounds pretty worrying about that co-worker. Not knowing if a test was done and whether she has it is a bit scary really. It's been chaos with some of what is happening hasn't it? One minute Trump is like 'fake news, nothing to see here' and then suddenly emergency measures are coming in! We don't have enough testing kits which is a worry!
DeleteMmm, I wish I had room for more than four tubs but our kitchen is tiny and the freezer is stuffed to the gills already! I have seven Easter eggs and four bags of mini eggs awaiting my attention!
I’m so envious of your junk food! I’m trying to eat healthier, so the last time I ate sugar was 3 weeks ago. I hope your slump ends soon!
ReplyDeleteAj @ Read All The Things!
I eat a reasonably balanced diet except for nibbles! Knowing I was coming towards isolation, I made sure I had all of my favourites in! Reading has gone out the window again with all this virus stuff but I hope to get back on track tonight.
DeleteOh man, cadbury eggs are so good! I like the originals, so yummy...
ReplyDeleteBookstooge
Cheese and chocolate are the two most important food groups and I'm stocked up on both!
DeleteIt's crazy, scary times right now. I wish I could get clear information on the virus so I could have a focus on what I actually need to do. I'm reading some good books but so behind on reviews.
ReplyDeleteThe information is lacking. We need details about where the cases are so we know if it affects us. Instead the media are taking great pleasure in predicting death tolls for the UK which is feeding the panic buying!
DeleteI'm okay on supplies I think but I really hope any period of isolation doesn't last too long as I may lose my mind locked in a house with the husband and kid without means of escape for weeks on end! lol Cabin fever is all too real.
ReplyDeleteI'm in a better position than most because I pretty much hate going out unless I have to. Everything I want to do is like reading, TV, films, music, blogging-indoor stuff! I feel sorry for the active people who are having to stay inside. Funny how the government were being nagged for not doing enough and now the complaints are the government is restricting freedom too much!
DeleteI totally grabbed some ice cream at the store yesterday! I was standing in line for a half hour though just trying to get to the registers... we'll see how well the ice cream held up lol
ReplyDeleteIce cream, chocolate and cheese were on my essential list for sure! You need to protect your taste buds even in a crisis! I wish I had more but our kitchen is small and the freezer is full!
DeleteIce cream is a nice thing to have, if you must be locked in. My mother went to the market earlier in the week. Did she get food or cleaning supplies? No, but she got lots of Coke Zero and straws. I just cannot with her. The winter has been rough for you. Well, let's hope spring renewal brings its magic to your reading slump, and that no disasters come your way
ReplyDeleteOh dear! Treats are of course important but it is vital to also have the essential food and cleaning items in! With the panic buying, a lot of things are in short supply right now so it might be tough to get them. You must be going spare with it right now!
DeleteI sent my husband to the store this morning and most everything was okay except for the meat section and the paper product aisle. The meat I get but I am mystified by the paper product. What is everyone doing with that much toilet paper? We are staying home for the forseeable future and I'm pretty okay with that! Enjoy your reading!
ReplyDeleteI always have an extra supply of loo roll-I buy a few when the stuff is on sale then I can sit back when the price goes up. I didn't need to go out and grab a ton of it and get into fights thankfully! As of Wednesday night, we are isolating or if I go to the local shops, it will be time for medical gloves!
DeleteIt sounds like you have all of the necessities covered. I wouldn't say that I am in a slump but I seem to not be in a hurry to start a new book when I finish reading one right now. I hope you have a great week!
ReplyDeleteThankfully my seasonal stock ups meant I had most of my essentials before the crisis began and that let me catch up with treat items instead. Now even that stuff is way up in price on Amazon and out of stock in the shops!
Delete