Tuesday, 28 November 2017

Top Ten Tuesday-Winter TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  http://www.brokeandbookish.com/   

NB: I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus, or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow them to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I won't comment on any blog that makes me sign in using another account. 

This week is Top Ten Books on my Winter TBR. This I can do! I've had a bad couple of months with ongoing reading slumps but there are some that I really need to get to before the winter ends (hopefully!) With the slump comes indecision, so I'm choosing a few specific books and some genres I hope to delve into.

1) Rachel Caine-Daylighters (Morganville Vampires #15)
This is the last book in the series and it's time I finished it and the short stories connected to it in the Midnight Bites anthology. It's been a good series overall so I hope this is a good ending to it. It would fulfill a series catchup challenge task too.

2) George RR Martin-A Feast For Crows 
Ideally, I'd like to catch up with the rest of the books in this series before the end of the year but that might be hoping for too much! I do want them read by the end of winter though. I'm looking forward to The Winds of Winter too *guffaws*

3) Jack Kilborn-Endurance
I've read the first two books and they were great so now I want to read this. Women taking part in an endurance race stay at a motel and wake up to discover they cannot leave...sounds creepy and the ideal horror story. I want to get this one read soon.

4) Ben Reeder-Zompoc
I've read the first book in this zombie trilogy so I really want to read the other two books now and complete the set. It has those scary road trip moments and loved ones being seperated things that I always enjoy!

5) Matthew D Mark-Dark Days Troubled Times
I read and loved the first in this two book series so if I read this it's a series completed! The first one Dark Days Rough Roads, had the road trip from hell, betrayed by friends and a war against a local militia-all set after the apocalypse comes! Well recommended. I can't wait to see what was happening in book two.

6) Hunter Shea-Savage Jungle
I didn't like the twin MC characters in Loch Ness Revenge so I'd like to get this one out of the way. I'm more looking forward to Megalodon in Paradise, Montauk Monster and The Jersey Devil. And I need to catch up on the mail order novellas too.

7) True Crime/Disaster Catch Up
I've got books on various disasters like Hillsborough, Bradford Fire, Zebrugge Ferry, The Chile Mine, a few on serial killers. I'd like to get a few looked at this winter.

8) Tudor Catch Up
I have a pile of Tudor fiction and non fiction so I need to try and get a few looked at this winter. I haven't decided which to read first but Henry's wives could be high on the list! I have a few that I can't fit onto my Tudor shelf so if I can deal with them over the winter I'll be happy.

9) Politics Catch Up
I need to clear some space on my shelves so I need to tackle a few political books this winter. I enjoy these books but usually read them once and send them to charity shops. I have books written by Tories, Labour, Liberal and UKIP politicians, books about Brexit and elections. Lots of non fiction fun!

10) YA Catch Up
OK so this is not an actual book but a pile of books! I used to read a lot of YA books but gradually got tired of the same tropes and plots. It's left a pile of YA on my shelves and less motivation to get to them even though I enjoyed the first in each series. So this winter I want to finish the books by the likes of David Estes and Suzy Turner, along with new-to-me authors like Elizabeth Briggs.

25 comments:

  1. of you list I think I really want to try the Morganville Vampires series. I'm reading Certain Dark things and it really got me into vampires again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to look at Certain Dark Things and about 400 other books at the moment! Choosing possible books to read at the moment is proving impossible never mind reading them!

      Delete
    2. Hope this means you're loving it!

      Delete
    3. It's been a few months since I read some Shea. I need to pick up another one soon. I've yet to read a book by him I didn't enjoy but then I haven't met the twins yet!

      Delete
    4. Savage Jungle, the follow up to Loch Ness Revenge was really good. My dad is zooming through his books at the moment!

      Delete
  2. I hope you get a chance to read all these! I’m trying to finish the first GoT book by the end of the year. It’s going to take me forever to read the whole series.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. catch up, sounds like my refrain for December too, also in review writing!! My TTT is here: https://wordsandpeace.com/2017/11/28/top-ten-books-on-my-winter-tbr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I'm forever playing catch up! Next year TBRs must be tamed and series caught up with!

      Delete
  4. When I made this post up, I hadn't started watching Outlander yet, but now that I have, I should add that book series to my winter TBR. Great list!
    Check out my Top 10 Winter TBR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always something new to add isn't there! I blame these authors for the size of my TBR!

      Delete
  5. Savage Jungle sounds fun, and of course A Feast for Crows. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Savage Jungle was better than I thought it would be after hating the characters in the first book. I'm stuck on chapter two and really need to get back to it...

      Delete
  6. I love how varied your list is! I don't generally read much polictical nonfiction, but given the right topic, it can definitely be interesting.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What worries me is how many I need to get to! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. The problems of a book lover huh!

      Delete
  7. I do need to read the Rachel Caine series. I am pretty sure that I would enjoy it. I have a lot of catch up piles of books myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always have such an eclectic mix of books on your TTTs, I really enjoy seeing what you are reading. Hope you are feeling better soon!

    https://allthebookblognamesaretaken.blogspot.com/2017/11/top-ten-tuesday_27.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fed up feeling crappy! I'm fed up with the reading slump! *grumbles*

      Delete
  9. I really need to think about what I want to get read before the end of the year, now I've somewhat caught up on my currently reading pile! But... on the other hand... it's fun getting distracted by the random new shinies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very easy to get distracted isn't it! I'm already planning out next year and I haven't decided on my next book...

      Delete
  10. I hope you make it through your list including catching up on GoT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done the Morganville books and Savage Jungle so that's a start I guess!

      Delete