Friday, 15 July 2016

Film Review: Still Alice

Alice Howland is a renowned linguistics professor happily married with three grown children. All that begins to change when she strangely starts to forget words and then more. When her doctor diagnoses her with Early-onset Alzheimer's Disease, Alice and her family's lives face a harrowing challenge as this terminal degenerative neurological ailment slowly progresses to an inevitable conclusion they all dread. Along the way, Alice struggles to not only to fight the inner decay, but to make the most of her remaining time to find the love and peace to make simply living worthwhile.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3316960/?ref_=nv_sr_1 
Filmography links and data courtesy of IMDb.

Cast: Julianne Moore, Alec Baldwin, Kristen Stewart, Kate Bosworth.

My Review: 
I read this book and found it quite upsetting. This is a vile disease that robs people of their mind, their dignity and ability to exist as a person. It is also horrific for family members who have to watch a loved one deteriorate in front of them and be helpless to do anything. So I knew to have the paper hankies ready when I watched this one. The film is powerful, tragic and traumatic to watch. To see this intelligent woman lose everything and deteriorate in such a shocking amount of time was very troubling. 

Julianne Moore was superb and well deserved the Oscar for her performance. I did shed a few tears through the film which shows how good the overall acting was. Alec Baldwin also puts in a very strong performance as the helpless husband and I feel that his character is more sympathetic in the film than he was in the book. Kristen Stewart gets a lot of abuse for her acting but I don't see much wrong with her acting and she takes this part well. I didn't greatly like the character of Anna but that is no reflection on Kate Bosworth as an actress. 

This is not a film I could watch over and over because of the difficult content but I am glad that I did watch it. A very good film that I hope encourages more funding to stop this disease destroying so many lives.  
star rating photo: 35 star rating 3-5-stars.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment