Sunday, 10 July 2016

Book Review: Released by Megan Duncan


After a demon apocalypse kills their parents and everyone they know, 17-year old Abby Phillips, her brother, Carter, and friend, Max flee their home to travel through what has become the wastelands of America. When radio transmissions of a resistance offering shelter and safety cease, Abby is tempted to give up. Struggling to overcome life-threatening obstacles in their dangerous journey, Abby and her companions quickly discover there are much worse things lurking in the dark than they could have ever imagined.

My Review:
Abby, her brother Carter and his best friend Max are fleeing their home to locate a safe military base to see out the apocalypse. Demon like creatures who look like mutant animals and birds are attacking the human survivors and the last hope is to find military help. But the journey is full of danger and there are other things to fear than monsters.

I first read this book years ago and liked it. I decided on a reread before I reviewed it and I found it wasn't as good second time round. I suspect the reason for this is my changing book tastes rather than any issue with the story. When I first read this I was a big fan of YA dystopian and horror but recently I've had less interest in the YA genre. So that is probably the reason and it still is a pretty decent read.

The good? Well let's start with the demon monsters. The hound is a brutal mixture of bull and dog and sounds pretty darn nasty. The birds are psycho mutant bird things which of course have the advantage of spotting you from above. They are hard to kill and make an interesting couple of monsters for our heroes to battle against. The plot was decent and the action scenes were well written, keeping me interested in what was going to happen. The book is cohesive and flows nicely and I had no issues with the writing or ability of the author.

The less good? These were personal musings about what I don't like in a book. Every YA book is obsessed with bringing in a romance, even if the plot is good enough without one. I just get bored with the whole hormone thing when I want to just read about younger heroes trying to stay alive in an apocalypse. So I had little interest in the angst filled relationship between Abby and Max. An issue that annoyed me more was the introduction of Taya, the whining bitch who grates on every nerve in my body.

The other thing that annoyed me is about to be discussed and it is the reason that I indicated that the review has spoilers (on Goodreads). So if you don't want to see plot spoilers for the end of the book, skip this paragraph. OK the plot involves meeting a group of survivors and discovering that they have a dark secret-they are keeping a demon and survivors are being sacrificed to it. An escape is arranged and three women choose to flee with our team of four. And the three women are killed in the big demon battle. Seriously? I'm a bit annoyed that we get characters introduced just so they can be killed by the demons instead of bloody Taya who enters bitch overload at the end. I found this whole thing so pointless. Could ONE of them not survived FFS??? Ugh.

OK rant and spoilers over. The ending of the book was my reason for deciding not to continue with the series and I'd really mark this book as 2.5 stars.
 


2.5 stars. 

2 comments:

  1. I think I picked up this free book too. I'm not so sure it's for me, even when seeing it the first time before your review, but I got it. I'm not sure if I'll ever read it though. Thanks for sharing about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a decent enough book but I'm getting tired of YA angst books and am starting to avoid them now!

      Delete