Friday, 29 July 2016

Book Review: Unhidden by Dina M Given


It’s not always easy to differentiate between the good guys and the bad guys, especially when your heroine is a trained killer and she may be falling in love with her evil hunter…

Emma Hayes, a former military Special Forces Operative turned mercenary-for-hire, finds her tightly controlled world turned upside down when she is attacked by horrible monsters. Emma must use every skill in her arsenal to stay alive as she tries to solve the mystery of why she has been targeted. Her list of enemies keeps growing - from Zane Shayde, an evil Mage, to a secret branch of the US government - and she doesn't know if there is anyone left she can trust.

To complicate matters further, Emma is inexplicably drawn to Zane in a way she doesn’t quite understand, even knowing her life is forfeit if captured. Who is he and why does he have this affect on her? How can she fight a being that calls to her, body and soul? Emma is left haunted by questions, doubts and fears as to why she has been targeted, when they will come for her next, and how she will possibly be able to survive against an enemy she doesn't understand.


My Review: 
Emma is a mercenary for hire and is captured by the man who hired her to find his daughter, as he wants to use Emma in a blood ritual. Thanks to the intervention of her team she is saved, but trouble seems to follow her around.

This book seems to be more about Emma and her string of men than anything else. After her rescue, team member Jason wants to rekindle their former relationship and during the flirty conversation she seems to change her mind constantly about whether she wants him back or not. It was quite annoying so poor Jason must have been clueless about what she wanted as well. She might be telling the reader she doesn't want him but she does enough to lead him on. And you just know that some kind of love triangle or worse is coming along from the way she is acting. Zane? Probably. Alex? Possibly. Jason? If she is still playing games with him, who knows? Daniel? Ruling nothing out. *sigh* One of my pet hates is the line up of men for possible romance. I didn't get far enough to find out though and didn't really care in the end.

The story was just confusing. On the mission we witness she steals an amulet from the witch at the ritual and is wondering how best to research it. Then she is attacked by a guy called Zane who is angry with her, calling her a traitor to her people and she has no idea who he is or what he is talking about. The dangerous looking Alex that she had just been flirting with in a bar arrives to save her and he seems to know what is happening.

Pity the reader didn't know what was going on. 70 pages in and I am no further forward. Who is Emma? What did she do? Where is she from? Who is Zane? Who is Alex? What is happening? Is the amulet story relevant? No idea on any of this and I was bored waiting for answers. 


It's a pity all the so called hot men appeared so quickly in the story. In the opening chapter on the mission, I was quite enjoying the action scene but I just hate it when the focus quickly switches to the female MC needing to be surrounded by men and romance choices. Come on, does every book need to have so called strong female characters who NEED to be drooling over every man they meet? It distracts from the story and it just bores me. I like urban fantasy to be action packed and plot based. As soon as it goes into romance mode, I find something else to read.

Nice cover though. Read 2015
 
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like I'm glad I've never considered this series. Sad because the cover would have actually drawn me in had I not read your thoughts. I can deal with "some" romance but as soon as you introduce several options and a character that can't make a decision, I find it harder and harder to like the MC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do admit that I have less patience than most when it comes to romance! There wasn't any actual romance in the 70 pages I read but I get wary when I see four insanely hot men introduced quickly! If you like the cover it might be worth checking out a few reviews that read further than I did! It is a gorgeous cover isn't it!

      Delete