Thursday, 4 June 2015

Chuckles TV Catch Up #1

This is my new feature for the summer! I have sooo many great sounding TV shows that I want to watch but because of all my reading, I haven't had time to catch up with any of them! So this summer I'm doing a Chuckles TV catch up where I hope to get a look at some TV, decide what I like and don't like and tell you all my thoughts on everything. Now, my TV watching is very much mood related so I can't predict what I'll want to watch...

This week: Elementary, starring Jonny Lee Miller, Lucy Liu, Aidan Quinn and Jon Michael Hill.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2191671/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Filmography links and data courtesy of IMDb.

Sherlock Holmes is an manic, hyper freelance crime solving consultant and a recovering drug addict. Joan Watson is a former doctor and paid companion to stop addicts from relapsing. When Sherlock starts consulting for the New York Police Captain, Watson tags along. 

OK I  saw ads for this on TV and thought it looked weird and uninspiring. The only reason I decided to give it a try was because I liked the main three cast members-Miller, Liu and Quinn. I sat down last night to watch the first three episodes-I usually decide by episode three if I like a series enough to continue watching it.

Loved it! I watched five episodes back to back! Miller is brilliant as the rude, quirky, frustrating  Holmes. Think of House(rude) meets Columbo(quirky) and Doctor Who(mad). Liu is a great foil for him and they have good on screen chemistry. I also like the relationship between Holmes and the cops-the Captain who sometimes wants to strangle him and the young hotshot Detective who finds him weird! There is humour, complex plots and it keeps you guessing throughout, which I enjoy. I loved the 'Balloon Man' and 'Angel of Death' stories in particular.

So, liking this series was a total surprise to me and I'll be grabbing the dvd boxsets as soon as Amazon lowers the price a bit! Might even continue watching series one tonight if time allows... 

3 comments:

  1. I've seen a few of these, I loved them. I wasn't able to see that many of them though because I had problems recording! I hope you enjoy the rest of them :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised to like this series as I'm not really a fan of typical crime drama...I avoid things like CSI and Law and Order etc but I do like a crime drama that does something different like this and Whitechapel. I just need Amazon to offer season one at less than £10 before I'll buy!

      Delete
  2. Oh. I forgot this one was out. I was curious about it too. Hmmm.... I have a few series ahead of this one I need to watch and catch up on this summer.

    ReplyDelete