Friday, 5 June 2015

Chuckles Corrie Mania #1


Welcome to Chuckles Corrie Mania! I watched Coronation Street all through the late 70's, 80's and early 90's but lost touch with it by 1999 due to work. So discovering that kind Corrie viewers have uploaded a ton of classic episodes on YouTube was great! I've spent two years gathering as many as I can, ready to get watching, and as I work my way through them, I'll be reviewing what I watch and sharing my thoughts. Would love to hear the thoughts on these episodes from other fans.

Thank you to Auntie Corrie(1976-1994), Mr Magister(1961,1995-2000), Classicsoap(2001+), CLKfanvideos(2006,2010,2011), corriestuff(various), OZZY45100(1960's, 1970's), FullEps(2009), XCorrieClassicsX(2006-2009), albiondean(2012-present), Sevin Alsoylar(2006,2011), Soap Fan 2013(various), JonathanOpenshaw(various) and everyone else who has supplied episodes online.

Where better to start than at the very beginning! The 1960 disk of the 1960's dvd box set from Network features the first 8 episodes of the soap in order, and here I am talking about the first 2 which I watched last night. This is the first time I've ever seen these early episodes so I wasn't sure what to expect!

Episode 1: December 9th 1960
Florrie Lindley has bought the corner shop and is trying to get used to some of the characters who will be shopping there. Ken Barlow(right) finds that his new college education makes him ashamed of where he comes from. Elsie Tanner despairs over her layabout ex-con son Dennis not finding a job and her daughter Linda leaving her husband Ivan again. 

I was surprised to say that I did enjoy this! I had feared it might be too old fashioned but the scripts are good and the acting was better than I expected. It was interesting to see Albert Tatlock being normal and not grumpy and I loved seeing him laying into Ken for turning into a snob, trying to stop his girlfriend Susan from meeting his family or seeing his house. Elsie was one of my favourite characters when I watched it so seeing her looking so glamorous was fun! I had forgotten how scary Ena Sharples was-just watching her buy a few things in the shop was enough to scare young children! The thing that struck me most about this episode was how happy and smiling Annie Walker was and you can see the love that she has for husband Jack who is such a nice character.

Episode 2: December 14th 1960
Ken is embarrassed when Susan's dad's car gets vandalised by kids at his house and Susan gets annoyed at his apologies for his family, his street and his pub, saying she doesn't care that nothing is posh. Christine Hardman is furious with Ena(left) for calling her mother mad and Ena is delighted at the chance for a feud. Linda is determined not to go back to her husband but won't tell Elsie why. 

This had a very funny scene in the Rovers where Ena is telling Minnie and Martha that she wants to die like her mother did. 'She just sat up, broke wind and died!' I nearly choked on my sushi!

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I love Corrie, in fact I watched it just last night,Ken was it! With some exceptions I don't think it has really changed that much, still lots of family feuds, affairs and plenty of humour. Prefer watching it to the depressing East Enders!

    Happy Watching!

    Heather @ Random Redheaded Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's scary how little Ken has changed from these early episodes! I know what you mean about Eastenders. I used to watch it in the early days and liked it but it's so gloomy and depressing compared to the laughs you get on Corrie.

      Delete