Tuesday, 16 June 2015

Book Review: Destined for an early grave by Jeaniene Frost (Night Huntress #4)


Her deadly dreams leave her in grave danger

Since half-vampire Cat Crawfield and her undead lover Bones met six years ago, they've fought against the rogue undead, battled a vengeful Master vampire, and pledged their devotion with a blood bond. Now it's time for a vacation. But their hopes for a perfect Paris holiday are dashed when Cat awakes one night in terror. She's having visions of a vampire named Gregor who's more powerful than Bones and has ties to her past that even Cat herself didn't know about.

Gregor believes Cat is his and he won't stop until he has her. As the battle begins between the vamp who haunts her nightmares and the one who holds her heart, only Cat can break Gregor's hold over her. She'll need all the power she can summon in order to bring down the baddest bloodsucker she's ever faced . . . even if getting that power will result in an early grave.
 


My Review:
Cat has quit her job with Homeland Security and gone on vacation with Bones, but she is finding it hard to sleep because she has vivid dreams about another vampire. Gregor claims that Cat belongs to him, not Bones and the dreams are enough to have a worried Mencheres waiting in Paris with a team of vampires to protect her. Gregor is a Dreamsnatcher and if he catches Cat in a dream he can pull her out. Gregor is determined to win Cat back and sends teams of vampires and ghouls to retrieve her.

The plot is more serious in this book as Cat has to face up to being with another vampire when she was a teenager and possibly being married to him, making her union with Bones void. She has no memory of these events, thanks to Mencheres and this causes strain between them. I liked the idea of Mencheres getting visions of Cat and Bones being destined for each other and being determined to do whatever it took to manipulate Cat to ensure it happened. Cat is wondering if she actually did belong to Gregor and isn't sure if she really wants to find out what her missing memories could tell her. Her anger and frustration create strain in her relationship with Bones. Don tries to help with dream suppressing drugs but Gregor still seems able to track her with ease, causing untold problems for their security.

We meet a new character in this book as well. Fabian is a ghost and he is going to be very useful to Cat in their new friendship. But it is the characters we know who are doing bad things in this book. Tate is using every trick he can to persuade Cat to finish with Bones so he can have her. I wanted to shoot him, I really did. I never really took to him because of his attitude. He just has that 'I want you so you should be mine and I don't care what you say about it'. Caveman! Bones is pissed at Cat for not trusting him to deal with Gregor and their relationship hits rock bottom, which was so worrying! I wanted to hit Bones at various times in this book. I was also pretty hacked off at Mencheres.

I wanted Gregor to die so badly. He was a really interesting bad guy and I liked the plot of this book, even though it was much darker. Gregor does something really terrible in this book and it leads to scenes that were pretty upsetting. These things were great for the plot but so hard for poor readers like me to cope with!

Good things about this book? Vlad. I love that guy! Cat's decision to become a full vampire and the consequences of that idea. It was a great plot twist. The action scenes were well written as always and there are some really emotional scenes as well. Gregor and Cat's story and the plotting of Mencheres. The battles and the kidnappings. I won't say more as I don't want to spoil it.

The author keeps me glued to this book and I can't wait to see what she does with the characters next. The great writing continues in this fourth book.  I first read this book back in 2010.
star rating photo: 5 Star Rating 5stars.jpg

4 comments:

  1. I loved this series when I was reading it, but ow I need to figure out how far behind I am because I would really like to finish it someday. Reading your review brought back memories and I wanted Gregor to die as well. I really like Cat as a main character and Bones is one of my favorite males, right along with Barrons from Moning's Fever series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It shouldn't take much to get caught up with her ending the series on book 7...I think the spin-offs make it seem much longer! The only spin-off I liked was the first one but I do look forward to reading Ian's story! I hope the author pairs him with Annette instead of a dumb human...

      Delete
  2. A co-worker has read these and loved them. She told me I need to get them. And I think I'd enjoy them as well, but... *sigh* Darn that time thing! lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this series-great characters, great humour, action and emotional scenes, steamy sex scenes for those who like that...I just love Cat and Bones!

      Delete