Wednesday, 24 June 2015

Book Review: This Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost (Night Huntress #5)


Danger waits on both sides of the grave.
Half-vampire Cat Crawfield and her vampire husband Bones have fought for their lives, as well as for their relationship. But just when they've triumphed over the latest battle, Cat's new and unexpected abilities threaten to upset a long-standing balance . . .
With the mysterious disappearance of vampires, rumors abound that a species war is brewing. A zealot is inciting tensions between the vampires and ghouls, and if these two powerful groups clash, innocent mortals could become collateral damage. Now Cat and Bones are forced to seek help from a dangerous "ally"; the ghoul queen of New Orleans herself. But the price of her assistance may prove more treacherous than even the threat of a supernatural war . . . to say nothing of the repercussions Cat never imagined.

My Review: 
Cat and Bones meet informants who tell them that masterless vampires are vanishing and more ghouls are appearing. The scared informants agree to join Bones line when their friends vanish. Apollyon wants to start a war of ghouls v vampires and Cat being the ultimate half breed is the threat he uses to scare the ghouls.

The characters are all developing nicely in this book. Justina realises that it is time to embrace her vampire nature and start training for whatever is to come. I'm liking her more and more with each book. Cooper is about to change into a vampire while Dave uses his ghoul status to spy for the team. Tate finally starts to get the message that Cat will never want him the way she wants Bones. Oh at last! I've been waiting ages for this obsessed idiot to realise that he has no chance with Cat and finally he gets the message! He is a lot nicer in this book I'm glad to say.

I loved the reappearance of Timmie! He is nosing into paranormal affairs as he looks for a missing reporter friend, getting a bit too close to the truth as he digs. It was also nice to see Marie taking a role in this book and causing enough trouble to make things interesting. Vlad as always is just way beyond cool and it is fun to see Denise get Spade worried by wanting to help in Cat's plans. I love seeing as much of the gang as possible in the books.

However, the dominant thing for me in this book is what is happening to poor Don. I like his character though I suspect he is hiding secrets about the work he does that haven't been revealed yet. His illness casts a shadow over the team and it is a very emotional storyline. I'm such a soft touch that yes, I did shed a few tears during this book! I loved the ending-the good and bad. It added real emotion to the book.

Cat herself has plenty of issues to deal with in this book. Don is family and what is happeing to him makes her feel helpless, so punching some bad guys is good therapy for her. She is also adapting to the changes made by becoming a strange form of vampire-a heartbeat, only being able to drink from other vampires and consuming their powers temporarily when she drinks from them. She is less able to deal with reading minds than Bones and struggles to cope at times. I liked the fact that in some ways, her new strengths actually left her weaker. I'm always pleased that this author develops her characters in each book, which adds more interest to the overall story.

The war with the ghouls was interesting and I liked what happened at the battle, plus the revenge of Joan of Arc! You'll get what I mean if you've read the book. I love this series and always look forward to the next adventure! 
star rating photo: 5 Star Rating 5stars.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Seems the series keeps going strong. Sweet! And love hearing about the books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the whole series. I gave every book five stars and can't wait to re-read them all! I've been so lazy about getting these reviews up though. I'll be doing the rest of the reviews for the series this week. At last!

      Delete