Sunday, 24 May 2015

Book Review: Anointed by Maggie Mae Gallagher


My name is Alana Devereaux. I enjoy the simple things in life, walks in the park, sky gazing, and ripping a demon's heart out though its chest. I am a demon slayer, the last of my kind, and I have been sent back through time to save your world.

How am I doing so far? My time travel went haywire, all the signs I needed to stop the prophecy have passed, and the only way I can save my world is by keeping yours from ending. Then there's Gaelen, most days I want to deck him. He hides his true motives and if it was not for the intel he had, I would be rid of him. Any day in my life without a demon attack is a good day; I haven't had a whole lot of those lately. The only problem is, if I don’t stop the Mutari, this world will burn.


My Review:
Alana doesn't seem to be capable of following orders which is not great for a Lieutenant in a demon war. You don't get to ignore orders just because your father is General. Actually she's not very good at her job overall. She skipped all her field training and she wanders about dumbly wondering where she can find books in London...

I hate this idiot! She was the one who wasn't careful enough about getting followed and led the demons to their fortified hideout which is about to fall thanks to her stupidity. Her father tells her that their only hope is for her to time travel and stop the demon war before it starts. Despite this being the only hope to save everyone, she stands and debates whether to do it as the demons get into that very room, delaying so long that she almost gets herself killed. Seriously, she is an annoying and frustrating character and I wanted to shoot her for being a moron. And that was just the opening chapter, which didn't bode well.

Instead of following Alana's arrival in the past, we suddenly get someone called Belinda giving us a history of who Alana is and what her people are, which confused me slightly and seemed like a strange place for an info dump. It might have been better for Alana to tell us this story herself as she moves through London.

Alana is such a whiny brat and seems to be forever moaning about not having her gun with her. You had it knocked out of your hand by the demon which was totally your own fault! Had you followed your dad's instructions instead of diddying around, you and your gun would be safely through the machine before the demon grabbed you. Stop whining and deal with it. I also found her way of communicating very annoying. She was talking about the future as if it was the present, which is fine because it's pretty easy to follow that plot in a time travel story. But it gets annoying that she then keeps correcting herself to remind us that she is in the past now. We get it, we're not stupid, so stop going on about it! Sheesh!

And the plot is scrambling my brain. Alana arrives at the wrong time, later than planned and has missed the chance for the standing stones to show a map to a sword to protect the flame and shut 22 eyes to defeat the demon. Huh???

No I don't think I'll bother going any further thanks. The MC is an annoying clown, the plot is confused and not greatly interesting. I'm not going to continue with this book and I doubt I would read anything else by the author.
star rating photo: Two Star Rating 2stars.png

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a bad book! Plot 101, make your story easy to follow! It sounds quite confusing and just plain messed up :-/ At least I know not to bother, I don't like books are hard work just to get through them.

    Great post! I hope your next book is a better read :)
    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an old review from earlier in the year-I've got over 100 to get uploaded! Thankfully this month's books have been very good so far!

      Delete