Thursday, 15 May 2014

Book Review: Deadlocked by AR Wise (part 1)

David was caught in the middle of the city when the zombie outbreak started. His wife and daughters were at home, stranded on the roof as zombies waited below. He would have to fight through hordes of undead, merciless other survivors, and a series of death defying stunts to get home. However, even if he makes it there, how can he be sure they're safe?

Deadlocked puts you into David's head as he struggles to get home. Then a final confrontation occurs that will guarantee his family's survival, but at what cost?


My Review:
David and his best friend are at work when the zombie apocalypse begins and they have a clear view out of the office as the city starts going to hell. David decides to brave the hordes of zombies on the street and the panicked civilians to try and get home to his wife and daughters.

Oh yes, this is how I like my zombies-traditional, scary and unstoppable. The panic that begins on the streets as the zombies appear is exactly how I imagine it to happen(I have that kind of imagination and a survival kit list written out). You fully understand David's decision to go to his family and you can see that this is going to be a long and dangerous journey right from the start. I think what makes this so good is that David could be your dad, brother, son etc, just a normal guy who loves his family and will do anything to save them. He makes a few mistakes, he isn't superman but he is very much real and you are rooting for him all the time.

This is a fast paced novella and I read it in one sitting. It sweeps you up and carries you away with it, and is full of tension filled situations that put our hero in danger. And it is not just the zombies that he has to fear. Trigger happy nervous cops and looting thugs are also around to make things more difficult. The author tells a great story and is not afraid to shock you with an event that you weren't expecting and I love that kind of uncertainty in a zombie book. You want to be afraid for the characters and scared that they might not make it because it keeps you gripped and this book certainly delivers on that score.

The ending was pretty awesome, though I know some fans of the book were not happy with it. Personally I liked it! It is a zombie book after all so expect the unexpected...

My only 'complaint' is that the books are only available in ebook format. When I like a book I like to purchase the paperback version for my collection but this is not an option which is a pity. I'll look out for the rest of the series going cheap and hope to continue the rest of the adventure. 
star rating photo: Four Star Rating 4stars.png

No comments:

Post a Comment