Sunday, 16 February 2014

Book Review: Chasers by James Phelan(Alone #1)

Jesse is on a UN Youth Ambassadors camp in New York when his subway carriage is rocked by an explosion. Jesse and his three friends, Dave, Mini and Anna, crawl out from the wreckage to discover a city in chaos.

Streets are deserted. Buildings are in ruins. Worse, the only other survivors seem to be infected with a virus that turns them into horrifying predators...

Outnumbered. No sign of life. Just them. And you... ALONE.


My Review:
A group of teenagers working on a UN mission gather in New York just as the city comes under attack. The survivors escape the subway to find destruction and death, and that something has turned people into bloodthirsty monsters. Now they must find a way to survive the city and look for a way to escape.

This was a reasonably quick and entertaining read. It is never going to be viewed as a masterpiece but it was a decent apocalypse read, aimed more at the teenage market. On the plus side, I liked that the kids were having to think for themselves and that not everything they did made sense. Jesse's barmy decision to drive the car for help was a step too far for me if you want this book to reflect logical behaviour in this crisis but other readers might not mind this as much. The story itself was interesting though and it kept me reading to find out what happened. Jesse as a main character was likeable enough, though Anna's snotty attitude started to get on my nerves after a bit. This was a minor niggle. The plot is simple and uncomplicated so don't expect lots of world building and complex writing.

For those of you who like grammar to be good in a book, well this one might make you grit your teeth. When the characters are talking, there are no inverted commas at all in the sentences which I found pretty annoying. Now to be fair to the author, I believe that he did this for a reason, which will become clear when you see the twist. I think that it was a subtle and clever hint for what was to come, so try not to get too mad about it when you are reading it!

If you are expecting this to be a true blood and gore zombie book then you might be disappointed. These 'zombies' have a raging thirst for water, blood or any liquid, instead of being brain munchers like normal zombies. During the book some of the zombies begin to evolve which adds a few interesting elements to the plot. I'd have liked a bit more interaction with the zombies and a few more scary moments for the gang to deal with but that would be at odds with the twist in the plot so I get why that didn't happen.

The highlight of the book without doubt was the ending. I did not see that coming at all and it was an excellent piece of storytelling. It certainly sets up book two nicely as you wonder what Jesse is going to do next.

These books always make me think where I would go and what I would do if the zombie apocalypse comes, which shows the over-active imagination that I have been given! That is why this kind of book appeals to me. This was a low grade zombie book compared to what I usually read but it wasn't bad to pass a few hours.

star rating photo: Three Star Rating 3stars.png

1 comment:

  1. This is a quick read and definitely leaves you hanging, as it is part of a trilogy. It definitely made me want to immediately pick up the next book and find out what happens next. There is also a plot twist that I did not see coming, so I applaud the author for doing a great job with that. This book is definitely very suspenseful and intense at times but also has no language and is not overly graphic.

    Marlene
    Rhinolaryngoscope

    ReplyDelete