Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish
in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of
2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to
bring bookish friends together. http://www.thatartsyreadergirl.com/top-ten-tuesday/
NB: I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus, or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow them to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I won't comment on any blog that makes me sign in using another account.
Anyone who visits my blog knows I am not romantic, I don't read romance and I try to avoid it in the genres I like as much as I can. But there are some books that I loved in spite of a romance element, big or small, and I want to feature them today.
1) Patricia Briggs-Mercy Thompson
Despite love triangle fears which don't develop, her romance with Adam is very much a slow burn, taking several books to get going. I liked both characters and felt that they were a good fit as a couple. They have ups and downs but it never overshadows the main plot and that's why I enjoy it. The other characters are just as entertaining and fun and there is an excellent gay relationship which focuses on the partnership and not sex.
2) Jeaniene Frost-Night Huntress
I loved the characters of Cat and Bones so it felt natural to root for them as a couple and the author wrote in great chemistry and humour to their relationship which kept it real. The side characters were also well written. I just skim past the sex scenes scattered through the series and that's fine as the plots are really good. I wasn't as big a fan of the spin offs as they focused more on the relationships and less on a plot.
3) DelSheree Gladden-Someone Wicked This Way Comes
This book is YA and features complicated emotional relationships rather than teen angst. Van loves Ketchup but her brother keeps trying to kill him because of a genetic rage illness, and he also wants to kill his new girlfriend Ivy because of it. Heartbreaking and different, the siblings try to find ways to control the rage while cults try to kill them and others want to harness their power for evil. Great series.
4) JK Rowling-Harry Potter
I found the kids developing feelings for each other in books four to seven entertaining as they were realistic relationships with jealousy and stupidity. Again I never felt that it dominated the plot and it provided plenty humour in the darker end books in the series. It helps when you like the characters but I still say that Ron and Hermione just never seemed like the ideal couple!
5) SM Wilson-The Extinction Trials
Storm and Lincoln take part in trials to win a place on the trip to the dinosaur world of Piloria to plant a virus and kill the dinosaurs to claim the land. Each has an agenda which makes trust difficult. I liked that the relationship between them was emotional and mental rather than physical, exploring the trust issues. The dinosaur plot is certainly King in this excellent trilogy.
6) Carrie Vaughn-Kitty Norville
We do explore Kitty's relationship issues but there is not much angst and it is very much in the background to the plots that are going on. I don't dislike her love interest but I was never greatly excited with it. It's there and it's ok, so I can deal with it. I do wish that Kitty would be more of a leader and deal with her Pack issues at times!
7) George RR Martin-A Song Of Ice And Fire
Each relationship in this book is very complicated-incest, arranged marriages, forbidden secret weddings, political pairings for power, undercover spying, spousal murder...there is nothing simple about love and weddings in Westeros! The plots are woven with these relationships and I loved that complexity which leads to a lot of trouble.
8) Patricia Briggs-Alpha & Omega
The book looks at the relationship between werewolves, with Anna emotionally and physically damaged so a lot of her relationship with Charles is about building trust and repairing damage, rather than sex. I also loved Charles wolf side-Brother Wolf-who becomes a character in his own right, and how this series is part of the Mercy world yet feels totally different.
9) Philippa Gregory-Tudor and Plantagenet series, Wideacre trilogy
Despite not liking romance, I can't get enough of the relationship angst between Henry and his wives and mistresses, lords and ladies and their courtiers and all the backstabbing and treason that comes with it. (I also like her Wideacre series about power and incest.) I'm sure sure why I love this kind of thing so much-maybe because it is fiction based on facts, twisted and adapted to add interest.
10) The Apocalypse Established relationships
I love apocalypse books because we usually join an established couple or family, avoiding all the pesky falling in love and on-off relationships which can bug me. The focus is on surviving and emotional issues rather than a ton of sex. I also like zombie books where people are not jumping into bed together all the time!
NB: I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus, or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow them to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I won't comment on any blog that makes me sign in using another account.
Anyone who visits my blog knows I am not romantic, I don't read romance and I try to avoid it in the genres I like as much as I can. But there are some books that I loved in spite of a romance element, big or small, and I want to feature them today.
1) Patricia Briggs-Mercy Thompson
Despite love triangle fears which don't develop, her romance with Adam is very much a slow burn, taking several books to get going. I liked both characters and felt that they were a good fit as a couple. They have ups and downs but it never overshadows the main plot and that's why I enjoy it. The other characters are just as entertaining and fun and there is an excellent gay relationship which focuses on the partnership and not sex.
2) Jeaniene Frost-Night Huntress
I loved the characters of Cat and Bones so it felt natural to root for them as a couple and the author wrote in great chemistry and humour to their relationship which kept it real. The side characters were also well written. I just skim past the sex scenes scattered through the series and that's fine as the plots are really good. I wasn't as big a fan of the spin offs as they focused more on the relationships and less on a plot.
3) DelSheree Gladden-Someone Wicked This Way Comes
This book is YA and features complicated emotional relationships rather than teen angst. Van loves Ketchup but her brother keeps trying to kill him because of a genetic rage illness, and he also wants to kill his new girlfriend Ivy because of it. Heartbreaking and different, the siblings try to find ways to control the rage while cults try to kill them and others want to harness their power for evil. Great series.
4) JK Rowling-Harry Potter
I found the kids developing feelings for each other in books four to seven entertaining as they were realistic relationships with jealousy and stupidity. Again I never felt that it dominated the plot and it provided plenty humour in the darker end books in the series. It helps when you like the characters but I still say that Ron and Hermione just never seemed like the ideal couple!
5) SM Wilson-The Extinction Trials
Storm and Lincoln take part in trials to win a place on the trip to the dinosaur world of Piloria to plant a virus and kill the dinosaurs to claim the land. Each has an agenda which makes trust difficult. I liked that the relationship between them was emotional and mental rather than physical, exploring the trust issues. The dinosaur plot is certainly King in this excellent trilogy.
6) Carrie Vaughn-Kitty Norville
We do explore Kitty's relationship issues but there is not much angst and it is very much in the background to the plots that are going on. I don't dislike her love interest but I was never greatly excited with it. It's there and it's ok, so I can deal with it. I do wish that Kitty would be more of a leader and deal with her Pack issues at times!
7) George RR Martin-A Song Of Ice And Fire
Each relationship in this book is very complicated-incest, arranged marriages, forbidden secret weddings, political pairings for power, undercover spying, spousal murder...there is nothing simple about love and weddings in Westeros! The plots are woven with these relationships and I loved that complexity which leads to a lot of trouble.
8) Patricia Briggs-Alpha & Omega
The book looks at the relationship between werewolves, with Anna emotionally and physically damaged so a lot of her relationship with Charles is about building trust and repairing damage, rather than sex. I also loved Charles wolf side-Brother Wolf-who becomes a character in his own right, and how this series is part of the Mercy world yet feels totally different.
9) Philippa Gregory-Tudor and Plantagenet series, Wideacre trilogy
Despite not liking romance, I can't get enough of the relationship angst between Henry and his wives and mistresses, lords and ladies and their courtiers and all the backstabbing and treason that comes with it. (I also like her Wideacre series about power and incest.) I'm sure sure why I love this kind of thing so much-maybe because it is fiction based on facts, twisted and adapted to add interest.
10) The Apocalypse Established relationships
I love apocalypse books because we usually join an established couple or family, avoiding all the pesky falling in love and on-off relationships which can bug me. The focus is on surviving and emotional issues rather than a ton of sex. I also like zombie books where people are not jumping into bed together all the time!

Yes to Mercy books as well as Cat and Bones. Those series both contain relationships I can totally get on board with. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the women are strong, bad-ass characters who give crap instead of taking it and aren't totally immersed in the men in their lives.
ReplyDeleteYes I can cope with these relationships with both partners being strong and there being humour! The plots are always strong in these books as well which keeps me reading them.
DeleteI love this!
ReplyDeleteIt's not often the word romance appears on this blog!
DeleteI love Jeaniene Frost. I need to read more from her.
ReplyDeleteI love her characters! Ian, Vlad, Spade, Cat's mother...so much humour and good kickass plots! I liked Spade's spin off book but the others fell flat-a bit too much romance for me!
DeleteUF romance is usually easier to handle for non-romance readers. It's not he focus and there's so much action going on. They also are a team working together instead of tons of drama.
ReplyDeleteKaren @ For What It's worth
I agree. Trouble is, too much new UF is actually sex heavy PNR and I end up DNFing and feeling annoyed at the dodgy marketing on it!
DeleteI never thought I'd see the day that Chuckles *almost* wrote a romance post ;) Heehee!
ReplyDelete*argh*!!! Yeah I'm certainly not a great romantic! I had to force myself to do a sort of love post!
DeleteI love the relationship between Mercy and Adam...and the other werewolves, too. :)
ReplyDeleteI LOVE Adam! I think that and the slow burn of the relationship developing helped me get invested in them as a couple.
DeleteI completely agree about Extinction Trials. I liked that it was more of an emotional relationship and not physical- at times I didn't know if they'd ever get together or not, and I liked that!
ReplyDeleteIt was a much better YA partnership than these Twilight copying soul mate instaluv crap!
DeleteI haven't read any of these, but I had to check out your list, because the title of this post made me chuckle. Glad you were able to find some books with romance that you could deal with
ReplyDeleteYep I am so NOT a romance kind of person! Established non sex filled relationships are ok-a lot of my apocalypse books have couples and families but the focus is on the disaster and not their sex life.
DeleteI'm liking romance books more and more. But they still aren't my favorite. I prefer horror or thriller or apocalyptic. I don't mind a bit of romance in my books but I don't think I can read just a full on romance.
ReplyDeleteI've read Something Wicked This Way Comes and Harry Potter, but I haven't read any of the others. The Extinction Trials is one I REALLY need to read.
Ash @ JennReneeRead
I went looking on your Goodreads page when you said you had read the DelSheree Gladden series but I couldn't find your review of Wicked Hunger which was a shame as I was interested to see what you thought of it.
Deletelove it..romance you can deal with. lol i have briggs on my catch up list
ReplyDeletesherry @ fundinmental
I'm the kind of reader who gets excited when there is a review of a book I want to read and the blogger/reviewer complains that there is no romance! I grab those books!
DeleteI like many of your choices. I don't read a lot of straight romance but I do enjoy the supernatural or fantasy ones. Especially darker stories.
ReplyDeleteAs an adult reader, I just lost all interest in having romance in my books. Pages of sex scenes bore me and I hate relationship angst getting in the way of the plot. If the blurb hints at sex or the MC's getting involved I just skip it.
DeleteI'm not a particular fan of romance either. There usually needs to be at least one more prominent storyline for me to enjoy a book. And no romantic triangles!!
ReplyDeleteI HATE love triangles! I read a book one time where four men were trying to get the attention of the MC. It totally deatroyed the story!
DeleteI love the Alpha and Omega books and I'm really enjoying Mercy's books at the moment too.
ReplyDeleteKitty Norville is a series I need to finish but I like her and I like Ben and even though he wasn't who I would have imagined she'd be with (I was assuming it was going to be Cormack) I'm happy with it.
The Harry Potter romances had me in stitches. It would have felt weird to have books set in a school without them and the associated teenage dramas.
I'm ok with Kitty and Ben because the romance never gets in your face and doesn't dominate everything. Having MC's we like is certainly helpful when it comes to these things. The Harry Potter romances were a bit like Carry On Hogwarts at time but that was fun! I loved Ron and Hermione trying to get dates for the dance in the Goblet of Fire!
Delete