Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish
in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of
2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to
bring bookish friends together. http://www.thatartsyreadergirl.com/top-ten-tuesday/
NB: I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus, or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow them to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I won't comment on any blog that makes me sign in using another account.
This week the official topic is about predicting five star reads. However much I love an author or series, it is hard to predict definite five star reads. Instead, here is my list of books that I really hope will be four or five star reads and why I'm more confident about them.
1) Patricia Briggs-Mercy Thompson books 9, 10, 11
I love this series! I've rated all the books in it 5 star except books 6 (3 star) and 8 (4 star). That is pretty consistant writing for me. I love the MC, her Pack and paranormal friends. I have three to read this year, having just grabbed book 11 in paperback and I'm hoping for another three excellent reads!
2) Darrell Maloney-Countdown to Armageddon 2-13
I loved the first book as the family first prepare for disaster and then it happens towards the end of the book and they rush to their meeting place. I'm itching to get on with this series which has 13 books. I marked book one as five stars and I really hope it continues to be as good as the series continues.
3) The Alastair Campbell Diaries 1-7
I read the diary extracts book and loved it so I'm very excited about actually reading the full set of diaries, now that I have them all. I am very interested in politics and read books about all UK political parties and MPs. Going behind the headlines of New Labour will be interesting and I expect to really enjoy the diaries.
4) Alison Weir-Six Tudor Queens
I read and gave five stars to her book on Anne Boleyn which was the last ARC I read. I've already bough her books on Katherine of Aragon and Jane Seymour and I'm about to buy the Anne of Cleves book in paperback this month when it is released. I have high hopes for more five star reads in this series.
5) Michael Stephen Fuchs-Arisen 12-14
I have given the first 11 books in this series five stars. It's my favourite zombie series EVER. I cannot see any reason why I won't love the final three books in the series. I've put off reading them as I don't want this amazing series to end but I really do want to find out what happens and how it all ends. Better get on with it then!
6) Darrell Maloney-Final Dawn 2-?
I read the first book where a couple win the lottery and use the money to build an underground bunker for family and friends for a coming asteroid strike. It was a five star read and I loved it so I certainly hope the rest of the series lives up to the standard and I can get a few more five stars from it. Seventeen books so far in the series!
7) Nicholas Sansbury Smith-Extinction Cycle Dark Age 1-?
I read and loved the seven book Extinction Cycle series by the author so I was thrilled to discover that he was doing another Extinction series set about ten years into the future. Three books have already been released and I'm really hoping to love it as much as the original series. Hoping to get that read maybe this spring.
8) Benedict Jacka-Alex Verus
Although my interest in and love for urban fantasy has been waning recently, I still have high hopes for this series. I read and loved book one even on my first re-read of it, so I'm really hoping that I continue to love it. The characters are great and I like the way magic is used in the series.
9) Alex Graham-Fred Basset
The adventures of a British basset hound who loves his family, friends, sausages, Doggybix, dog shows and being loved by the neighbourhood! I've been reading Fred since I was a kid and recently I've been buying old volumes on Amazon. I see no reason why I won't continue to love Fred's adventures!
10) George RR Martin-The Winds of Winter
I love the TV series, I love the books...I'm obsessed with Westeros! I gave five stars to all but one of the books and that was rated four stars, so I can see no reason why I won't totally love this book. The only problem is waiting for it to be released!!!
NB: I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus, or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow them to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I won't comment on any blog that makes me sign in using another account.
This week the official topic is about predicting five star reads. However much I love an author or series, it is hard to predict definite five star reads. Instead, here is my list of books that I really hope will be four or five star reads and why I'm more confident about them.
1) Patricia Briggs-Mercy Thompson books 9, 10, 11
I love this series! I've rated all the books in it 5 star except books 6 (3 star) and 8 (4 star). That is pretty consistant writing for me. I love the MC, her Pack and paranormal friends. I have three to read this year, having just grabbed book 11 in paperback and I'm hoping for another three excellent reads!
2) Darrell Maloney-Countdown to Armageddon 2-13
I loved the first book as the family first prepare for disaster and then it happens towards the end of the book and they rush to their meeting place. I'm itching to get on with this series which has 13 books. I marked book one as five stars and I really hope it continues to be as good as the series continues.
3) The Alastair Campbell Diaries 1-7
I read the diary extracts book and loved it so I'm very excited about actually reading the full set of diaries, now that I have them all. I am very interested in politics and read books about all UK political parties and MPs. Going behind the headlines of New Labour will be interesting and I expect to really enjoy the diaries.
4) Alison Weir-Six Tudor Queens
I read and gave five stars to her book on Anne Boleyn which was the last ARC I read. I've already bough her books on Katherine of Aragon and Jane Seymour and I'm about to buy the Anne of Cleves book in paperback this month when it is released. I have high hopes for more five star reads in this series.
5) Michael Stephen Fuchs-Arisen 12-14
I have given the first 11 books in this series five stars. It's my favourite zombie series EVER. I cannot see any reason why I won't love the final three books in the series. I've put off reading them as I don't want this amazing series to end but I really do want to find out what happens and how it all ends. Better get on with it then!
6) Darrell Maloney-Final Dawn 2-?
I read the first book where a couple win the lottery and use the money to build an underground bunker for family and friends for a coming asteroid strike. It was a five star read and I loved it so I certainly hope the rest of the series lives up to the standard and I can get a few more five stars from it. Seventeen books so far in the series!
7) Nicholas Sansbury Smith-Extinction Cycle Dark Age 1-?
I read and loved the seven book Extinction Cycle series by the author so I was thrilled to discover that he was doing another Extinction series set about ten years into the future. Three books have already been released and I'm really hoping to love it as much as the original series. Hoping to get that read maybe this spring.
8) Benedict Jacka-Alex Verus
Although my interest in and love for urban fantasy has been waning recently, I still have high hopes for this series. I read and loved book one even on my first re-read of it, so I'm really hoping that I continue to love it. The characters are great and I like the way magic is used in the series.
9) Alex Graham-Fred Basset
The adventures of a British basset hound who loves his family, friends, sausages, Doggybix, dog shows and being loved by the neighbourhood! I've been reading Fred since I was a kid and recently I've been buying old volumes on Amazon. I see no reason why I won't continue to love Fred's adventures!
10) George RR Martin-The Winds of Winter
I love the TV series, I love the books...I'm obsessed with Westeros! I gave five stars to all but one of the books and that was rated four stars, so I can see no reason why I won't totally love this book. The only problem is waiting for it to be released!!!

I am sure it will not surprise you to hear that the basset hound caught my attention. That book sounds adorable.
ReplyDeleteFred Basset is always fun to read for a bit of chilled out entertainment. The latest one I read goes onto my Puppy Love Challenge!
DeleteSo do you think Winds of Winter will ever actually be released? I'm starting to doubt it. That's one reason I won't start the books. I really need to look into Fred the Basset and I bet your prediction is safe with the Patricia Briggs series. Nice list.
ReplyDeleteI think we will get The Winds of Winter at some point this year but I have serious concerns that we'll never get A Dream of Spring. It doesn't help that he plans to mess about with more of those dumb Dunk and Egg stories before he deals with the two unfinished series he has! I hope you can maybe grab Fred Basset from Amazon. He is a fun read!
DeleteI hope these all turn out to be 5-stars for you! I think I’ll like Winds of Winter too.
ReplyDeleteAj @ Read All The Things!
I really need to hear that we are getting The Winds of Winter this summer. The sooner he gets his arse moving on the final book the better! Hopefully this book sees the end of all these excess stories involving Greyjoys other than Theon and Asha, the Dorne plots, Lady S and Jon C! Cut this lot out the final book and things will be better and we might get it before Doomsday!
DeleteIt's so hard to predict a 5 star read but there are a couple of authors that have given me many 5 star reads so I hope the trend keeps up. Christine Feehan is one of those authors.
ReplyDeleteI think I need a few five star reads to perk up my reading a bit! I've only had one this year so far!
DeleteI love both series by Patricia Briggs and Benedict Jacka! :D
ReplyDeleteFated was a really great book so I hope the series to be as good. Mercy has been so great all the way through so I hope for at least four stars for the rest of it!
DeleteI love the Mercy Thompson series. I do need to get back to the Alex Vega series. I listened to the first 4 books last year and have the fifth ready to go. I really need to start reading George RR Martin. I hope you do love all of these!
ReplyDeleteGRRM is depressing me. There are rumours of more delays as he is changing stuff at the end of the series, meaning more rewrites to TWOW. Enough already! Get it done and get on to the last bloody book!!!
DeleteI have supreme high hopes for the next ASoIaF book as well...if it ever comes out, lol!
ReplyDelete~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum
I swear, they better release the paperback at the same time as the hardback because if I need to wait a further year for my favoured edition, I'm not going to be a happy bunny!
DeleteOoh the Mrcy thompson books. I've only read the first one but I want to continue!
ReplyDeleteThe Winds of Winter! Will he finish this year???
Mercy keeps up a very good standard through the books. I have three to catch up with so I need to get them done this year. TWOW-he better be finished and printed by the summer!!! The guy is driving me mad!
DeleteI used to love Fred Bassett too!
ReplyDeleteIt's fun to relax in front of the TV with a few Fred Basset books for company!
Deletei gave up on martin's series after the second book. i am targeting the mercy series for my library challenge
ReplyDeletesherry @ fundinmental
I hope you enjoy Mercy and her friends as much as I have!
DeleteI hope they all turn out to be five star reads for you. I've been in a major slump this month and my GR challenge is taking a hit.
ReplyDeleteFour or five stars for some of these would certainly be nice! My reading hasn't quite hit it's stride this year-maybe because I added all those books to TBR and went up over 1300 books for the first time ever!
DeleteHope that they become your new favorites!!
ReplyDeleteIf they all turn out to be at least decent reads I'll be happy!
Delete5 stars are rare for me but I had a few last year. All were new authors to me though.
ReplyDeleteI have to get back to the Mercy series. I read the first one (& the Alpha Omega series)
Karen @ For What It's worth
Mercy has kept up a great standard for me. I only gave two books a rating below five stars and that's not bad. One was rated four and the other three. I hope you get a chance to continue with the series. I also enjoy Alpha & Omega!
DeleteI'm liking the Mercy series... I'm only read two but still, I'm liking it. :)
ReplyDeleteThe Alex Verus series is another that I hear good things about but I'm not entirely sure that one is for me.
I've always liked Alison Weir's Tudor history. It's been so long since I've read any non-fiction... I should probably change that.
I hope you continue to read and enjoy Mercy. My favourite is book seven so far. I need to catch up on three books in the series. This Alison Weir series is a fiction book about each Queen and I've just had the fourth book delivered! I really enjoyed the first Alex Verus book and look forward to the rest of the series.
Delete