Welcome to my feature Chuckles Weekend Roundup where I will be looking at what books I've received, anything interesting I've done or bought or watched and other random stuff. I'll be taking a look back at what happened in my blogging world too, sort of like The Sunday Post that some of you do!
Please note that I'll be visiting your STS/SP as normal, but I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus, or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow DISQUS to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I am the only one who does that on my social media! I won't comment on any blog that makes me sign in using another account. Sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me because I deleted my account with them but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!
****************
It's been a bit of a busy week again. To get space back in our living room, my dad and I made the decision to get rid of my mum's big dresser unit and all the cutlery and unused dishes that were old wedding and anniversary presents stored inside it. For some reason it has got me very emotional, even though these are things she never used inside a piece of wooden furniture...but I'm finding it really hard to clear it out and sell it. We did pick up a smaller corner display unit which will nicely show the ornaments off and create more space for us. I guess I need to just grit my teeth and get it over with! The new one gets delivered on Monday so it is chaos as we empty all the stuff from the dresser and find somewhere to put it until we can try to sell it.
I've been enjoying reading a pile of cartoon books about Fred Basset-a national newspaper has been running a comic strip about the adventures of a basset hound for about fifty years, and I love it. Barb's puppy love challenge seems a good excuse to read them this month! I've also re-read a favourite apocalypse book which features several faithful hounds as part of the challenge and now I'll read on with that series. I'm hoping this will get me reading normal sized books again and get the TBR coming down. I'm also keeping a rather large eye on the latest virus information and my paranoia is rising! I'm verging towards another bout of hibernation!
Chuckles Blogging World
It will be the usual weekend catch up of comments and blog visits and that will be tomorrow!
Book Reviews
Chuckles Mini Reviews Catchup
Chuckles Retro Reviews-Countdown To Armageddon
Regular Posts
Chuckles Friday Reading Roundup
Around The Blogs With Chuckles
Top Ten Tuesday
Discussion Posts
Constructing Winterfell
Reading Challenges
Puppy Love Challenge
Films & TV
Still watching some Royal documentaries when I can't get reading done.
Book Tags/Blog Awards
none this week
Currently Reading/Up Next
I'm hoping to read a pile more of the Fred Basset books that I've been buying cheap. I love that basset hound! I'll be reading book two in my Countdown To Armageddon series and hopefully moving on to a couple of apocalypse and zombie books that feature dogs.




My mom died when I was a teenager (my dad a few years ago) and I've kept several things but his move was brutal and I had to cute even more. It was tough but I tried to keep the things that had more meaning to them - like silverware that was in a a box so it was easy to take. Then I kept my father's hedge trimmers lol Ridiculous, but I remember him teaching me how to use them when I was little.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you have some lighter Fred the Basset reading to keep your spirits up.
Karen @ For What It's worth
The brain is a funny thing! Now that I've had the delivery disaster I'm taking it as a sign to keep the unit. I've always liked it but figured I needed space more. Now I'm actually happy that I get to keep it! I'm a complicated creature! I understand the trimmers-with a happy memory like that, it's togher to let it go.
DeleteI'm so sorry about your mum and dad Karen.
When my mom passed away 9 years ago my brother and I decided to donate most of her belongings. I found that to be emotionally hard but I kept a few mementos of hers. I can understand why it would be emotional to do that.
ReplyDeleteIt is really tough isn't it. My dad had to deal with the clothes and I still can't deal with looking at old photographs. It feels weird to be emotional about a unit but I'm now glad we're keeping it!
DeleteI'm sorry about your mum Mary.
I'm sorry to hear it's been emotional for you to part with your Mum's possessions. I can understand this. My sister and I had the other problem in that my father got rid of pretty much everything Mum owned in the weeks before she died or within a couple of days afterwards so we have very little to remember her by.
ReplyDeleteI can understand your dad wanting to deal with things quickly but it's a shame that you both didn't get a chance to pick out some things to keep. That would be really hard. My dad lets me do what I want around the house as he's pretty easygoing and he's not bothered if we now keep the unit.
DeleteI'm sorry for the loss of your mum too.
((HUGS)) It can't be easy getting rid of your mother's things. I had never heard of Fred Basset until you mentioned him. He's adorable, and wow! He's been around for fifty years. The newspapers around here no longer carry any comic strips, which is very sad to me.
ReplyDeleteIt's strange to get emotional over a piece of wood! It's funny how the mind works isn't it! I discovered Fred when I was a kid and always try to buy the yearbooks when I see them! Snapping them up cheap on Amazon is a bonus!
DeleteIt's always tough getting rid of things like that. Logically, you know it's okay and you're doing it for practical reasons but emotions don't have brains!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with it. I imagine I'd take comfort in the thought that the dishes etc would be going to good use rather than just sitting in a cabinet and that the cabinet would be going to someone who needs one too. They're not being thrown onto a scrap heap, they'll have value to the people who take them on, you know?
The brain never makes sense does it! I'm sort of glad we had that delivery disaster so I could change my mind and get to keep it after all! The dishes will still go to be sold or donated as we just don't use teacups and saucers and things.
DeleteIt is difficult to let things go. I'm sorting through my sisters things and it gets emotional. You want to keep every reminder. The Fred Bassett books sound adorable:)
ReplyDeleteI'm getting emotional over the slightest things these days. I don't need much of an excuse. Oh no Laura, I hope this isn't a recent tragedy you've had?
DeleteIt is hard to get rid of things that belonged to someone you loved. My dad has been gone for 25 years and I still miss him like crazy. I have his old chair which is really old at this point. It is big and we should get rid of it. I was ready to do it and my daughter begged me to keep it (she never met my dad but likes the chair) so it stayed. I hope you have a great week!
ReplyDeleteI totally get wanting to keep the chair even if it is really too big. It is so hard to let go of things our loved one loved. I sort of feel like maybe my mum helped that shelf break so I could refuse delivery and keep her unit? From the minute we bought the replacement, I had regrets so I'm happy with the end result in spite of all the hassle!
Delete