Friday, 2 August 2019

Chuckles Chuntering


You ever have days when you feel annoyed and frustrated for no actual reason and want to kick the wall? I've been in that mood for two weeks now and it is putting me in a rotten mood! I'm pretty sure it is this continued hot and stuffy weather. We had a minor thunderstorm two nights ago and rain for two days but it is still that nasty humid sticky heat that saps your energy and concentration. There still seems to be no end in sight and I'm longing for the cooler days of autumn to come soon! But it is only August so there will be more misery to come! My dad is pretty much in the same mood so we can at least whine to each other about it! 

I'm getting increasingly annoyed with the few social media platforms that I'm on. Bloglovin stopped working for a whole day and when it came back it wasn't showing all of the blog posts. I know this because I visited the blogs and saw more posts than bloglovin were providing. I'm pretty annoyed by this as I'm missing posts I want to comment on. It makes me wonder how many posts I've missed over the years I've used it. My mood did not improve when I saw that bloglovin actually displays our reviews on their site with its own comments page! Hey muppets, I did NOT give permission for you to do that!!! If they do that, some potential visitors will comment there and not on my blog! I'm not happy with that! 
https://www.nosegraze.com/bloglovin-is-stealing-posts/ 

It seems that there are ways to stop them but I don't understand the technobabble! Where do I find my header.php file to add the code to block bloglovin? I have no clue! Has anyone tried any of these things as I don't want to screw up messing with stuff I don't understand? I need to find a way to do this before I stop using bloglovin as even if I close my account with them, they can continue displaying my content on their site! Here are some ways to supposedly stop them. I'm still trying to understsnd the instructions!
https://a1websitepro.com/bloglovin-stealing-your-page-views-block-them/

Does anyone here use Feedly? I'm considering either using that or just visiting each blog by putting the address into the bit you do that in and going there myself. I'm concerned how much time it would take so I'd like to know if Feedly is worth the bother of setting up as an alternative. Does it let you block those stupid Russian sex bots? Does it have ads everywhere in your feed? It is simple and user friendly? Is it better than bloglovin? Do they also steal your content to put on their own site? Is it easy to delete if I change my mind about switching to it?  

As for Twitter, this new design really is the last straw for me. I hate it and it's crap! The whole page is clogged up with so much crap I don't want to see and that I can't get rid off. I'm trying to block it with Adblock but it keeps coming back ie who to follow and what I might like. It's annoying and I hate it showing up in the middle of the posts I'm reading. I also hate how big the trending thing is in the sidebar. I hate the layout and how it looks cluttered. I particularly hate having to continually change from top posts to latest posts every time I visit my home page. Nothing about it is set up to be useful to me and I'll be deleting my account for good this time, maybe as soon as the weekend. You'll still be able to find me on Goodreads and my blog though.

14 comments:

  1. Makes me glad I never joined up with Bloglovin. I've never used any rss reader except for the wordpress reader one (since I'm on wordpress) so best of luck finding one that works well for you.

    As for social media, I just don't. No facebook, no twitter, nothing. I found it just wasn't worth the headache :-(

    Bookstooge.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble is, bloglovin can display your stuff even if you don't have an account with them. Unless we block our rss they can link to it and use it. I so need to change the rss to block them! I've never been on Facebook ever. Twitter was so I could promote books but the trolling hacks me off!

      Delete
  2. I did not know they could use content even if we delete our accounts. That is garbage. I don't understand it all either and will be deleting my account right along with you. I absolutely hate the new Twitter look and now refuse to use it on my laptop and will only use it on my phone. It is absolute trash and highlights the stuff I do not care about. Blech.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They feature stuff from your blog even if you haven't joined! As soon as someone puts your address into bloglovin to follow you there, they start reading your feed and all technical stuff and can just upload your reviews to their site unless you block them! I just don't know enough about it to do the block! I think everyone hates the new Twitter-even sending a Tweet is more complicated!!!

      Delete
  3. Oh no, it got a lot cooler here. I wish I could share!

    I'll take a look at the bloglovin stuff and see if I can figure it out; I'm not sure if you can edit your header.php file if you're hosted by Blogger, but I'll keep an eye out for info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully this week has turned out a bit cooler than predicted! Any info you can find would be great Nikki! I'm so dumb when it comes to computers and all the technical stuff!

      Delete
  4. I didn't know that about reviews on bloglovin. Not cool! And I'm no fan of the new twitter look either. It seems every time they have a good thing going, they change it up. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm desperate to block them so I can quit bloglovin and they can't get anything from my blog! Technology can be a real pain at times! The new Twitter is a nightmare!

      Delete
  5. I don't pay a lot of attention to either Bloglovin or Twitter. I think that I might try to use Feedly though. I just go directly to the blogs that I want to see which may not be the most efficient way of doing things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to know more about Feedly for sure to see if it is worth making the switch. I'm sick of bloglovin but can't leave them until I find a way to block their access to my blog!

      Delete
  6. I'm raging about the Twitter changes. I hate it. The bunch of muppets who gave it approval to come out of beta need a good hard slap upside the head!

    I didn't realise bloglovin' were stealing comments and keeping content when deleted either. WTF is wrong with companies?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're making it very complicated even to send a simple tweet-I hate it! Yeah bloglovin are basically putting our reviews on their site without permission and giving our posts their own comments page! That to me is a copywrite issue!

      Delete
  7. ARGH! I've been feeling like that too!! And I LOVE Feedly! I set it up originally with just my top favorite bloggers and I've been slowly adding to it over time. I have my lists all broken out in different categories like; My Favorite Bloggers, My Active Commenters, Horror fans, Don't Love Their Format, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does it stop those Russian bots following you? Can you block fake followers? If so, I'm interested!

      Delete