Saturday, 27 January 2018

Chuckles Weekend Roundup


Welcome to my new feature Chuckles Weekend Roundup where I will be looking at what books I've received, anything interesting I've done or bought or watched and other random stuff. I'll be taking a look back at what happened in my blogging world too, sort of like The Sunday Post that some of you do! 

Please note that I'll be visiting your STS/SP as normal, but I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus, or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow DISQUS to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I am the only one who does that on my social media! I won't comment on any blog that makes me sign in using another account. Sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me because I deleted my account with them but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!

****************
It's nearly the end of January and I'm preparing my end of month posts. I can't believe that time is moving so fast. It won't be long now until the start of the Winter Olympics and I hope the coverage has improved from the last one. I've cracked open my alternate health book and I'm trying to find natural treatments for all the ailments my dad and I have! That'll be a new hobby...eventually I'd like my own herb garden for cooking and medicine but it is taking a while to get myself motivated. I'm also trying to face my terror and go to the dentist for the first time in about 15 years-I'm not looking forward to it but I'm sick of the toothache. We had also booked a holiday cabin for later in the year so I could explore the York area but it got cancelled yesterday which was a complete bummer. It doesn't look like we'll be able to book a replacement so no holiday for Chuckles this year.

On the reading side of things I've had a decent enough week and I want to get a few more books in before the end of the month. I have a few short apocalypse books that I have my eye on. I found a nice fun horror writer in Jon Athan for my serving of gore which kept me happy. I went mad and bought a ton of Kindle books but they were on sale so that isn't too bad. I've also downloaded a lot of samples which I'll be getting to over next month. Reading is going fine so far and there is progress on most of the challenges! That in itself is keeping my happy!  

DOWNLOADS:




https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35377070-madness-at-madison-mall
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34108605-zombie-road 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36138185-titanoboa 

PAPERBACKS:


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32066504-silence-fallen
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/198686.The_Plague_Tales 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34209846-six-tudor-queens

Gifts from Dad!
Game of Thrones stamps in presentation case with map!

 

Chuckles Blogging World
I kept up to date with answering comments on my blog and visiting as many posts around the blogs as I could but I still feel I'm not managing my time properly. I'm 5 weeks ahead in most of my regular posts except the prepping and Chuckles Chat, which I need to do some work on today. I'm still happy with where I am though.

Book Reviews 
Got a few done from reading I did this month but I need to get the Game of Thrones books I read last year reviewed. I wrote so many notes that it'll take me ages to plough through them to write the reviews!

Boyd Craven-The World Burns (World Burns #1)
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/chuckles-retro-reads-world-burns-by.html 

Boyd Craven-Rebel Radio (World Burns #5.5)
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/book-review-rebel-radio-by-boyd-craven.html

Boyd Craven-The World Counters (World Burns #10)
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/book-review-world-counters-by-boyd.html

Boyd Craven-Hope of the World (World Burns #11)
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/book-review-hope-of-world-by-boyd.html

Jon Athan-Camp Blaze
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/book-review-camp-blaze-by-jon-athan.html 

Regular Posts 
This week I looked at some potential buys in Chuckles Goes Sampling and went Around The Blogs to find some interesting posts to share. Cover Love was about Simone Pond, Top Ten Tuesday was Liked But Don't Remember and Can't Wait Wednesday was some apocalypse fun with Joe Russell.

 Chuckles Cover Love
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/chuckles-cover-love-60.html

Chuckles Goes Sampling
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/chuckles-goes-sampling_21.html 

Around The Blogs With Chuckles
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/around-blogs-with-chuckles_22.html

Top Ten Tuesday
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/top-ten-tuesday-liked-but-forgot.html 

Can't Wait Wednesday
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/cant-wait-wednesday-joe-russell.html

Discussion Posts 
Prepping With Chuckles looked at the importance of having a Get Home Plan in an emergency, Chuckles Chat was Film Reboots and Game of Thrones Gossip goes to Yunkai with Dany!

Prepping With Chuckles
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/prepping-with-chuckles-3-having-get.html 

Chuckles Chat
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/chuckles-chat-53-film-reboots.html 

Game of Thrones Gossip
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/game-of-thrones-gossip-52-yunkai.html

Film Reviews 
none this week

Special Posts 
none this week

Book Tags/Blog Awards 
none this week

 Book Challenge Updates

My Goodreads Challenge-19/200

TBR books I own but haven't read-847

Currently Reading/Up Next 
 I've just started a new EMP book by PA Glaspy called When The Power Is Gone and if I like it I might read the sequel straight after. I'm also starting the fifth Kitty Norville book by Carrie Vaughn and then I have a few ebooks to tackle to finish the month.


Next Week at The Book Cave
I'm not sure if I'll manage to get a sampling post done this weekend as I have a lot of reading to do to end the month but I will be going Around The Blogs as usual. Prepping With Chuckles will be taking a look at Winter Car Journeys, Cover Love features S Jae Jones, Top Ten Tuesday is Inspired By, Can't Wait Wednesday features Mark Wandrey, Chuckles Chat is about 3 Star Ratings and Game of Thrones Gossip is about Sansa Stark and her season three disasters.

 

20 comments:

  1. Congrats on being five weeks ahead. I wish I could do that. I haven’t even written tomorrow’s post yet. Enjoy your new books and have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weekend post and around the blogs are the only ones I can't really get ahead on but having the rest done saves me time!

      Delete
  2. Oh no sorry to hear about the vacation issue. York sounds like a lovely place to visit. :( Hopefully you get a chance to do it soon.

    The herb garden sounds great, and I'm with you on the dentist. Not my favorite thing to do and I always wait until I HAVE to go lol.

    I'm excited for the Olympics but the coverage in the US always sucks. It's like the worst. I need a VPN to get into BBC coverage maybe... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's a pity about the holiday but we'll survive! Lots of work to do in home and garden...*groans* I wish I had the space to look at a big herb and frit/veg garden but I don't have a lot. It's still all in the planning stages but I'll come up with something! I often hear US folks talking about poor olympic coverage over there so maybe I shouldn't moan about the BBC!

      Delete
  3. I must get Fire and Fury! I am down to being #218 in line for a hold on 63 copies in our library system which is down from being 223 I think, so at least the copies have finally arrived! We will definitely have to chat about it and Trumplethinskin after we both read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighbour got an ebook copy and will let me read it when I'm ready so at least I don't have to pay for it!

      Delete
  4. Hope you find lots of tips to help you and your dad and what an awesome gift from him - those stamps look awesome. It's so great you're so far ahead - I'm just a tad bit envious :) Sorry your vacation was canceled but I sure hope you get to enjoy some of the Olympics this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think for the herb garden I need to get a few prepper books on the subjects...having a few of my own saves pharmacy trips for expensive cold remedies! I hope to chill out and watch the Olympics with my dad...I love a lot of the winter events!

      Delete
  5. Awesome gifts from your Dad! I see Silence Fallen. I hope you love that one as much as I did. Too bad about your holiday being cancelled :( Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've still to read the one before Silence Fallen but I'll catch up with these during the year. I do love the standard they are keeping up with the series.

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear your holiday plans fell through, but way to go on being ahead on your posting. I'm the opposite, I've been slacking and I've fallen way behind. And oof, I'm terrified of dentists too, I haven't been to one in years either.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working hard on the posts last week as I'd had two lazy weeks myself! I need to be well ahead for the Winter Olympics!

      Delete
  7. Ugh, don't remind me about the dentist. I need crowns on multiple teeth and have a filling that fell out, but I can't afford it all, and I just don't want to go. Except soon I won't be able to chew on either side of my mouth -_- I like using natural remedies for things too! For the few problems I've used them for, they've been super helpful and super simple and easy on my body. I hope the ones you find work well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very much amateur on this but hope to learn.

      Delete
  8. The been garden sounds like a wonderful idea, and it so nice to cook with fresh herbs too. The stamp s gift from your Dad is pretty amazing! Enjoy the new book and the rest of your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to change my diet to reduce various health issues my dad and I have so I hope the herbs will also help with having more fresh made food. I loved the stamps! It came with a lovely fold out map that showed where all the castles and important things are!

      Delete
  9. You're being waaaay more organised about your blogging than me. Whoa. You're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just need a good day tomorrow to get a few things finished and I'll be really happy!

      Delete
  10. You're doing great on blogging ahead. I've been working hard on that myself. My problem is I get ahead and relax and then have to do it all over again. LOL And I'm sure liking some of your books! I see a few I'll be checking out. Sorry to hear about your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogging ahead is supposed to take the stress out of it but I still always feel there is too much still to do! It sucks about the holiday but I guess we'll cope...more reading time though...

      Delete