Let's imagine for a moment that you have good supplies in your home ready for a limited or lengthy emergency. Whether you have the perfect fully equipped prepper house or you are just supplied for a few months, you know that you will have a good chance of seeing it through in your own house. After all, shelter, food and water, prepping equipment and weapons, if relevant, are a good start to getting through a disaster.
If you are all at home when disaster strikes, that's great! You are all together, safe and ready to think about what to do next to secure your home. But what if NONE of you are at home when it happens? What do you do? You need an emergency or get home plan. This post is not a get home plan, just a few things to think about when you put your own together.
1) Think About Your Location
When you aren't at home, where are you most likely to be? If you aren't at work daily, what other places are you at regularly during the week ie visiting other relatives, voluntary work, weekly shopping, meeting a friend in town for a chat, sports club, dropping off kids at school, going to the gym etc. You could be at any of these places if something happens and you need to get home safe from every one of them.
Think about how long it takes you get home by car from each place, and think about the best route home if a car or bike is an option ie you still have power in your car. It's easy to imagine the quickest route but in an emergency will everyone else on the road at the same time be using this route? If so you might end up in a traffic jam and be going nowhere at all. Look at possible alternative routes on quieter roads where there are less traffic lights, less workplaces and shops where workers are all trying to leave from, and where there should be less people. The more alternative routes you have in your head, the better your options if the worst happens.
Be aware of any roadworks, areas prone to flooding, burst pipes or other issues that suddenly appear on your favoured routes as this can also slow you down. Which routes may be impassable in certain weather? Keep up to date on planned roadworks or when pipes under the roads are being repaired. Look for diversion signs and when this work finishes. Think of which routes you could take if you are on foot as these may differ greatly from roads you travel on by car and be more direct. Is it safer to walk on a longer main road or take the wooded short cut? Can you defend yourself in each circumstance? Plan what hazards you might face if you cut across fields ie angry animals, water Plan out what supplies you will need for this length of walk and ensure you have suitable footwear and clothing for the journey, and adjust your plan for each type of seasonal weather.
THINK about what kind of area your route takes you through. Is it an area where there is high crime? If so you may be at risk of car-jacking, or robbery if on foot or bike. Try to avoid these areas unless you are confident of getting through before trouble breaks out. If you pass through quieter areas with less trouble, depending on which disaster you face, there may be time to stop for more food, water and supplies. You might be able to stop at small local grocery stores to grab more supplies on your way home, places not already attracting looters. These places might be slower to descend into chaos but be ready to pay cash and inflated prices for what you buy and the shops may already have closed up for safety reasons.
2) Your Family's Route Home
You need a plan for each family member. You have to decide on whether your plan involves getting to your kids schools to collect them, or if they have to make their own way home. For example if their school is a few minutes walk away, you can get them to run straight home and wait for you to get there. If they are young kids ten miles away from home, the situation changes and you may need to go and get them. If you drop off a spouse at work and you have the sole car, do you collect them or expect them to come home themselves? Will the schools bus the kids home in an emergency? Does your school have a disaster plan or require parents to come and collect the kids? Is the route home safe enough for the kids to make their own way back? How long would it take you to reach them by car or by foot? You could look at the route and perhaps find a rendezvous point that your family can get to quickly and wait safely out of sight for you or another family member to reach them.
Do you gather the whole family at one home or will you all be staying in your own homes? If one of you is a prepper and have a lot of supplies in a defendable home it might be worth getting your family all under one roof for safety. If cars are still usable, decide which supplies you can ask your family to bring for the stockpile or if they can pick up anyone else en route. Do family members need to be collected before they can be brought to you? There are a lot of things to think of and the type of disaster can dictate your actions. An EMP is a long term disaster so you might want to be together for that whereas hurricanes are a short term situation where you can all stay in your own homes if it is safe to do so.
3) Are You Bugging In or Bugging Out?
This is the question that preppers disagree on most often. If a disaster comes do you stay at home and survive in an area you know, defending your supplies? Or is it not safe in your area and you want to bug out to a safer location? I personally have no choice but to bug in. We have no family outside of our urban environment who can take us in and we have no rural prepper property that we can try to get to in an emergency. We have no guns to protect us and no hunting or camping skills so we will have to stay where we are and hope for the best. If you decide to bug out straight to another location, know where you are going, ensure your routes are well planned and ensure you have the supplies and skills to get there.
3) What do you need to Get Home? A few things that might be useful.
-carry cash as credit card payment scanners may be down if the power is affected in a disaster
-BOB (Bug Out Bag)
-suitable shoes. Wear them always or have a pair in the car/workplace to change into
-paper maps to plan route as SAT-NAV might not be working
-salt/grit in case you need to get out of snow or go off road through a field in a real emergency
-ensure you have a full petrol tank in your car in case you need to take a longer route
-fold up bikes-excellent to store in boot/trunk and are easy to assemble if car is not an option
-if in a car, lock your doors
-if something looks dodgy ahead, don't stop and get away from the trouble
To sum up:
Whether by vehicle or on foot, you need to be sure of where you are going and what you may be facing so do your homework before it comes to disaster. Think about routes, supplies and how your family are to get home or to another location NOW. Don't wait. If a disaster was to hit tomorrow, you don't want your family to be in a panic wondering what to do. It'll do you no good if your kids are fleeing home by one route while you charge to their school by another route and you all miss each other. Make sure everyone in the family knows what to do in various circumstances and there is less likely to be panic.These points are to get you thinking about how to get home, and are a starting point but only you can make the actual plan.
Do you have a Get Home plan?

I have no plan and do a whole lot of things wrong. I rarely have any cash and the cash we do have is almost always at home. I am really bad about letting my gas tank dip dangerously low. I will drive until it is almost dry and then fill up. I am less likely to do this in the summer but I hate pumping gas in the cold. I do always have good walking shoes on and my work is only 3.5 miles from my home so I could walk if needed. Making a plan is a good idea.
ReplyDeleteI never used to think about any of this stuff and wore plastic shoes everywhere which would be bad for a long walk! Since I started reading the prepper authors I realised that a basic plan for an emergency was a good idea. Even planning two different routes home, having a light bag with a bit of food and water and sensible shoes on your feet is a good start! That alone would put you way ahead of other people! After that, more detailed plans can always evolve.
DeleteI used to think the idea of prepping was kind of laughable, even when I watched Doomsday Preppers, but with the election of Trumplethinskin, I fear we are daily closer to WWIII, which will last all of two seconds because everyone will fire their nukes and we will all die. I took for granted the 8 years where I woke up daily not fearing for my life. Now, especially after Trumplethinskin spends so much of his time needling Kim Jong-un on Twitter, I wake up those days surprised that we are all still here. Definitely NOT the world I imagined for my daughter when she was born.
ReplyDeleteEvery time you say Trumplethinskin I can't help laughing at how accurate the name is...but nothing about Trump is funny when you look at how he alienates everyone. It is worrying and some days when I watch the news I do get afraid for the future. I'm not surprised that you have concerns about your daughter and the world she will grow up in.
DeleteI am glad I can provide some temporary comic relief in these dark times. I don't know that this investigation will go anywhere, though I am hopeful. But on the other hand, in a perfect world where he would be impeached, the vice president is just as scary, but in a different way, because he is an actual politician with a horrible human rights record against the LGBT community while he was the governor of Indiana.
DeleteI am at least partially prepared in that I have about four different ways home, and my daughter is young enough that I don't worry about her getting home on her own. This all makes my head hurt. And my heart.
I do think we need a few laughs the way the world is going. I had no idea about Pence...so even if Trump is impeached it doesn't look like some things will improve. I can tell you that Trump is really hated in the UK. It sounds like you are pretty organised for trouble which I'm happy to hear! I just hope we never need any of these skills or supplies.
DeleteUnfortunately no, I do not think they would improve. They are dangerous in different ways. Like Trumplethinksin is just an idiot who pops off at the mouth to any and everyone and does not understand the basics for how a democratic government even functions. Pence, on the other hand, knows full well exactly how the government is supposed to work and how to 'be a politician'. Not to mention that he is fully a right-wing evangelical "Christian" (so, basically a Christian in name only, as there is no way I can imagine God would ever be like, "Yeah, don't abort any babies, but once they ARE born, stop caring about them and completely defund all the programs that would help them survive and hopefully thrive". Basically it is a super shitty situation and I hope with the midterm elections in the fall that Democrats can take back control of Congress so that the Republicans do not control all three branches of our government.
DeleteFrankly the two of them sound like a dangerous combination. Great. The options really aren't great whichever one is in charge. I don't think any of us can predict what the mid-terms will bring you guys. The Democrats need a strong candidate for President to beat Trump next time round but who can predict what will happen...
DeleteSo many decisions. This is an area I'm not that well prepared for.
ReplyDeleteI think the easiest way to go about it is to work out one alternate route home other than your normal route, pack a bag with some food and water and anything else you think you need, have petrol in the car and a good coat and walking shoes. That's the basic plan for each person, then develop it gradually to cover more routes and more complicated decisions. That at least gives you a head start should you need it. It took me a few months to iron out a full plan and supplies to cover it.
DeleteI am finding these posts so darn interesting and helpful and am so glad you are running them. Thanks for all the work you're putting in. I am HORRIBLE about not carrying cash, but that's pretty much all Mr. Barb carries so I'd have to rely on him to have this area covered.
ReplyDeleteI think if you are well supplied at home and have good plans to get there quickly, cash is less relevant. I don't carry cash but my dad does so I'm in a similar boat. My money is in an account for Amazon supplies and it usually leaves digitally, not into my hand!
DeleteThanks for these posts, Chuckles. They always get me thinking.
ReplyDeleteThey're not perfect as I'm no expert but if they get people thinking I'm happy!
DeleteUsed to watch the preppers on TV and Mr Wonderful and I have talked about this. We are prepared for hurricanes, if we stay, so I think we would stand our ground. I usually have some supplies in the car, just because I like to be prepared for whatever may come our way, snacks and drinks, blankets, chairs, jackets, hats...In this day and age, it might be wise for us to do a fully developed plan, especially if he is not at home when the shit hits the fan.
ReplyDeletesherry @ fundinmental
Sounds like you are doing pretty well already! We don't have the same kind of bad weather here to worry about but the storms still unsettle me a bit. With all my talk on the subject even my dad is offering prepping suggestions now!
Delete