Monday, 4 November 2013

Tour and Book Review: Straight to Hell by Michelle Scott

The moment Lilith Straight dies, the Devil appears to claim her soul and cash in on a family curse. Now, Lilith has no choice but to work for him. The job is bad, the boss is worse and she can’t imagine how she’ll explain her new reincarnation to her eight-year-old daughter. But then an arrogant, yet oh so yummy, incubus shows up…and hell heats up just a little more.

Where can I buy this book?
 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Straight-to-Hell-ebook/dp/B00F462CNS/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383573561&sr=1-1&keywords=Straight+to+Hell

http://www.amazon.com/Straight-to-Hell-ebook/dp/B00F462CNS/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383573612&sr=1-2&keywords=straight+to+hell



StH Blog Tour Badge
My Review:
*I received a free copy of this book from the author through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

Lilith is having a proper family crisis-divorcing her cheating husband, loss of rich secure lifestyle, sponging relatives in her home, bills to pay, no job, no love life...oh and she suddenly dies and finds she has no choice but to be a succubus for the Devil like previous female members of her family.

I don't read chicklit at all EVER. I don't read paranormal humour as I normally don't find anything funny in it. I signed up to do a book tour slot as a promo and ended up with a review copy. Erk, awkward much! I decided to give it a go anyway-and I actually enjoyed it! I did laugh at some stuff as well, which is new for me!

I liked Lilith a lot. She was amusing and entertaining, her life was a mess and you were rooting for her to pull things together and sort out the ungrateful relatives living in her house without paying their way. Her demonic employer and fellow employees were a lot of fun as well. Haven't we all thought that our boss was the Bitch from Hell? Well check out the ACTUAL Bitch from Hell that Lilith has to deal with! Our heroine lurches from one crisis to another, screwing up the most simple of tasks given to her every time. It made for an entertaining plot and a light, quick read to keep you amused. As a character Lilith changed through the book, in surprising ways that I certainly wasn't expecting. The other surprise for me is the type of succubus Lilith turns out to be. She is not having sex with victims all through the book-she is a succubus who tries to tempt people into all sorts of bad behaviour-cheating, suicide, drugs etc, anything that will damage their soul. I much preferred this to sex every two minutes.

The humour was great. How anyone can screw up the task of dropping a bag of drugs and urging a junkie to pick it up is a mystery to me but Lilith manages it beautifully. Her attempts at seduction, persuasion and even shopping without paying are equally inept. Her death scene and the reason why she died was very funny and I won't spoil it by telling you anything about it! She also has varied success with trying to coerce the people she knows into doing things to help her and it made me wonder what I'd do with demonic powers of persuasion...

This book was certainly a big surprise to me and I think it could appeal to a wide range of readers. It has humour, a sprinkling of romance, real life situations we can all relate to and a nice dose of demons to add to the fun. Readers of paranormal humour/romance, chicklit, women's fiction, humour, and light paranormal reads would probably like this book as it offers something for everyone. I will probably read on with the series to see what Lilith does next.

3.5 out of 5.


star rating photo: 35 star rating 3-5-stars.jpg

Maybe it’s because of my Halloween birthday, but I’ve always been attracted to scary stories. On the other hand, I love romances as well. Once I discovered that these two genres existed side-by-side in urban fantasy novels, I was in heaven! Urban fantasy is like chocolate and peanut butter: a perfect, to-die-for combination that I can never get enough of.

I’ve been writing since childhood, but earned my bachelor’s degree in psychology and my master’s in English literature.

When I’m not writing, I’m a straight-laced English teacher at a two-year college in Detroit. I’ve been married to Mr. Right for over twenty-five years. I also have three teenaged children: a boy and two girls, all of whom have threatened to never speak to me again if I turn them into characters and put them into my books.


Just for fun, here is a fun interview that I did with Michelle. Thanks for coming to the Book Cave and talking to Chuckles!

What are your favourite films?
When it comes to movies, I am *not* a lover of chick flicks. I'm more of a tomboy who likes explosions, car chases, and special FX. Some of my favorites include Raiders of the Lost Ark, Inception, and Pirates of the Caribbean. The only girlie movies I truly like are Shakespeare in Love and Say Anything. That boombox scene gets me every time.

What TV shows do you try not to miss?
Because I love zombies and the supernatural, I'm hooked on The Walking Dead and American Horror Story. I also loved Being Human (the UK version) and Breaking Bad. I like TV shows with complex characters and story lines. My guilty pleasure, though, is reality TV. I can't help but watch Dance Moms; Dirty, Pretty Moms; and Cheer Perfection.


Which book characters would you most love to be, or hang out with for a day? 

Harry Potter all the way! I would love to be a professor at Hogwarts (those staff meetings must be very entertaining) or have coffee with Molly Weasley! Likewise with Jane Eyre (who I would lecture about women's rights). I also like to hang with Rachel Morgan from the 'Hollows' series. Especially if she were to bring Jenks along. We could all go out for pizza or something.

If you could have a superpower what would it be and why?

If you could have a superpower what would it be and why?I would want to be invisible. I'm a curious (some might say nosy) person by nature, and to be able to spy would be amazing. Of course, I would only use my power for good, and not for checking what the neighbors are saying about me. Well, maybe just once...

Which paranormal creature would you most want to be and why? I'd go for guardian angel. They are (usually) on the side of good, and they are all pretty kick-ass.

Where can I find Michelle?  

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2896599.Michelle_Scott 
http://www.mscottfiction.com/ 
http://www.mscottfiction.com/UrbanFae/ 

https://www.facebook.com/MichelleScottsFiction
https://twitter.com/urban_fae  
https://plus.google.com/100675721794428606877/posts 
http://www.pinterest.com/urbanfae/ 
http://instagram.com/urban_fae# 
http://mscottwriter.tumblr.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment