Sunday, 10 November 2013

AOTW #4: Ken Mooney


Welcome to Author of the Week! Every week on my book group, an author member is chosen to be Author of the Week and will be featured here, tweeted on Twitter, shared on Google Plus and Pinterest and generally treated like royalty! Group members are asked to do features and talk about our AOTW to help each one to promote his/her work to the book community. 
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/114319-my-big-fat-indie-book-gang 


This week: Ken Mooney!


Ken Mooney was born in Dublin in the middle of the 1980s; he still lives there. He holds a degree in English Studies from TCD, which he totally uses every day during his day-job in TV advertising...totally.

He's always been obsessed with stories, reading, writing and playing them; that explains the massive collection of books, comics, video games and discarded Word documents. His writing is a combination of all the things that he's passionate about, all the way through high-and-low-brow.

Godhead is his first novel, an idea that's been floating around his head for nearly fifteen years; there might even be a (few) sequel(s) if he ever gets around to writing them...


Where can I find Ken? 
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7010042.Ken_Mooney 
http://www.breakwaterharborbooks.com/ken-mooney.html 
https://twitter.com/kenmooney 

Want to see my interview with Ken earlier this year?
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/q-with-ken-mooney.html 

Ken has answered a few fun questions as well and I'm sure you'll enjoy reading this!

1)What are your favourite films?
I have a list as long as my arm, and all for different reasons: some are sentimental, some have a great story and some just look amazing. I'm just going to name a few and you can guess which is which. Some Like It Hot, The Day The World Stood Still (original), Bell Book & Candle, My Neighbour Totoro, Batman (1966), Casshern, Black Rose Mansion, Pan's Labyrinth, Breakfast On Pluto, Sucker Punch, Star Trek First Contact, Cloud Atlas...

2)What TV series do you try not to miss?
I actually work in TV advertising, so this is something of a sore question :P I'm really enjoying Arrow and American Horror Story at the moment. And True Blood. I love Parks & Recreation too.

3)Which book characters would you most love to be, or hang out with for a day?
Aside from my own book, of course! There was something awesomely nerdily empowering about watching Hermione from the HP series growing up, and I think Emma Watson brought that to the screen really well too. There's also a great (and really complicated) sense of morality to Greek heroes and the various books they come in: Medea in particular is a fascinating lead character in a play. Can I also say that I would love to hang with Holden Caulfield from Cather In The Rye JUST to punch him?
(I'd love to punch him too!-chuckles)

4)If you could have a superpower what would it be and why?
Telekinesis. No contest. If I could have this combined with telepathy like various mutants from Marvel Comics, even better.

5)What name and costume would you have if you were a superhero?
Even though I'd have telekinetic/psychic powers, I think sun/fire-powers have a lot of potential, so I'd love to be called something like Nova or Sunscream. Okay, I'd probably be a villain. Also, leather jackets and jeans are under-rated...

6)What real people, dead or alive, would you most like to meet?
Edgar Allen Poe, HP Lovecraft, Zack Snyder, Chuck Palahniuk, Oscar Wilde.

7)If you were stuck on a desert island for a year, which books would you have with you?
Glamorama by Bret Easton Ellis, The Crying Of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon. I'd probably bring a lengthy series too, something like George RR Martin's Game Of Thrones series or that.

8)Which paranormal creature would you most want to be and why?
Ooh, what an interesting question? I'm going to go with ghost: I don't like the immortality/loneliness of vampires and I like the idea of floating through walls and that.

9)If the zombie apocalypse comes, where would you go and what would you do?
A very tall building that happens to house a supermarket.

10)If you won the lottery jackpot and could only spend it on yourself, what would you buy?
Hah, I would probably build a very tall building with a supermarket on one floor. That's not entirely a joke, by the way: I'd love to build a dream-house. And part of the dream-house includes dream-apartment in London/New York.

Olympus has fallen; new gods must rise.

The gods have been betrayed by one of their own. Zeus is dead, and the city is under siege by the demonic forces of Kaos. Their only chance of survival is to abandon the city, buying time to regroup and rebuild.

Thousands of years later, the children of the gods walk among us, protecting humanity from the demons. But not all of them know the secrets of the powers they have.

The gods are no more, eliminated by their greatest enemy. And now, she wants to return home; no matter who stands in her way.


Where can I buy this book? 
Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Godhead-Ken-Mooney/dp/1483920917/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374576721&sr=1-1&keywords=Godhead

Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Godhead-Ken-Mooney/dp/1483920917/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374576633&sr=1-2&keywords=godhead

Barnes & Noble:  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/godhead-ken-mooney/1115213606?ean=9781483920917

My review: 
*I received a free pdf copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

I love urban fantasy. I love Greek Mythology. I love horror. This book sounded as if it had elements of all three so I was looking forward to it.

The Gods of Olympus have been betrayed by Aphrodite, who lets demons in to their home to destroy them all. The last throw of the dice for Hera is to seal in the demons and expel the rest of the gods to live in the mortal world. Fast forward to the present day and Aphrodite has been killing all the descendants of the Gods to give her the power to return to rule Olympus and set the demons on the world. A group of talented people must continue the battle...if they can learn how to use their skills in time.

There is a lot of good about this book. The descriptions of Olympus and the Gods are vivid and detailed without the dreaded info dumps. Flashbacks are spaced out and used to give only important backstory about the characters and past events. It was a good use of that resource. The author's descriptions are well worded and easy to imagine and the characters are well developed with the clever use of grief as a way to bring them closer together. That was a nice touch. Aphrodite herself is an excellent evil character and her flashbacks give her depth and help the reader to understand why she did what she did. Each of the characters have great potential which I assume will develop in the next book. I developed opinions of the characters which shifted and changed with the plot, which was enjoyable. It was also interesting to see the powers being used and it gave you an idea of the real potential within this group.

There was a bit of an issue for me with the way the dialogue was presented. During conversations, words were continually highlighted in italics to tell the reader where to put the emphasis in the sentence. I feel that was unnecessary. If the dialogue is good, the reader will know what your characters are saying and the emotions they are feeling. It's not necessary to spell it out to us, especially with good descriptive work throughout the book.

There were a lot of unfinished sentences during the conversations which annoyed me a bit, along with half explanations that would cut off. I wanted to yell 'spit it out already!' on quite a few occasions! This was especially true when Unity and Hannah were explaining things to Megan and Karl in the most confusing manner and our two heroes just weren't asking the questions I wanted answers to. While I thought that this bit was frustrating, it might have been the author's way to avoid big info dumps, or it was the intended plot device to space out what we learn. Either way it didn't spoil the actual story. I am a bit impatient when I want to know what is happening which I guess is good as it means I was getting into the story.

OVERVIEW
A few niggles aside, I did like the story and I am interested enough to look for book 2. This is not an action filled book like some urban fantasy but I'd describe it as a slow burner that keeps you interested all the time. The second half of the book is fast moving due to short sections and switching POV.

For readers who are interested, the sexual content is minor:a partial short sex scene, while the rest is more implied than described fully. Swearing is minimal and used purely for effect, which was good. A few gory bits when the demons attack. Suitable for older teens and adults.
star rating photo: Four Star Rating 4stars.png


Here is the book trailer. Share it with your friends! Download from YouTube and upload to your blog!


video 


No comments:

Post a Comment