Paddington – the
beloved classic bear from Darkest Peru, now a major movie star – is back
in this fantastically funny, brand new illustrated novel from master
storyteller Michael Bond!
Hurrying forward, he held out a welcoming hand. “Sir Percival Rushmoor,” he said. “I’m invigilating.” “I’m sorry to hear that, Sir Percival,” said Paddington. “I hope you feel better very soon.” Paddington always finds himself in unusual situations so it is no surprise when he has a run-in with the police, appears in a TV cookery show, and gives one of his hard stares to a hypnotist!
My Review:
Paddington is well known around where he lives, including amongst the local police. But when police are around that Paddington doesn't know, he discovers that police have become suspicious about the sight of an innocent bear posting a letter. To say that the police were very unfair to poor Paddington is putting it mildly and retraining is required for those dreadful officers. It is fair to say that in this book, Paddington is discovering just how horrible people can be when his pride and joy rockery in his garden is destroyed just before a garden competition is to be judged. I was outraged in this book about the results of the judging when it was clear that the dreadful Mr Curry had stole Paddington's plants to pass off as his own. Where were the police over this dreadful theft!
Paddington decides to throw a party for a loved one but it is about to be ruined by an unexpected and unwanted guest, as always seems to happen. What I liked best about this book was the next story where Paddington discovers that Mr Curry is about to be in the local newspaper and the bear sees a chance for a bit of payback for what happened with his rockery. Mr Curry is really going to regret getting on the wrong side of the bear this time! I loved that Paddington finally gets one over on that dreadful man who is forever taking advantage of him and causing him trouble! I'm so pleased for the bear!
It finishes with Paddington going to a variety show and becoming a volunteer for a hypnotist. The man has met his match in Paddington who proves to be a difficult subject and his hard stares cause chaos! I loved this story as I'm always amused by Paddington's hard stares as I employ that tactic myself when someone is really getting on my nerves! I was having a good laugh at the book but it is with great sadness that I must now say goodbye to the adventures of Paddington. This was the last book written by the author before his death so there will be no more of the charming bear. I'll have fun re-reading the books in years to come though.
Read August 2020
4 stars.

There are just some books that are worth keeping forever, aren't there?
ReplyDeleteOh yes! Picking up that old favourite book is like hanging out with an old friend!
DeleteBelieve it or not I watched Paddington for the first time in Italy working as a babysitter haha shortly after I moved to London and I lived close to Paddington Station so I went to visit Paddington's little statue and I felt so much joy in my heart. Love him :)
ReplyDeleteI still haven't seen the Paddington films but I watched the old TV series as a kid, which was fun! I'd love to get back to London at some point and get photos/postcards of the Paddington statue!
Deletedoes sound like a fun one
ReplyDeletesherry @ fundinmental
Paddington always cracks me up!
Delete