Sunday, 8 November 2020

#6Degrees Of Separation-November

I'm taking part in #SixDegrees of Separation, which I first saw on the blog of Bookstooge over at https://bookstooge.wordpress.com/  Started by Annabel Smith and Emma Chapman, now hosted by https://booksaremyfavouriteandbest.com/  On the first Saturday of every month, a book is chosen as a starting point and linked to six other books to form a chain. Readers and bloggers are invited to join in by creating their own ‘chain’ leading from the selected book.

This month we start with a wild card choice. Well I've only got a couple to pick from and I've already talked about them so I'm going rogue and starting with the last book I finished which is...


60 Years Of Coronation Street. This book looks at 60 years of long running British serial drama Coronation Street. The drama is set near Manchester in the north of England and has a great mix of humour, drama and emotional stories surrounding the residents there. My mum and I were huge fans when I was young and I still watch it myself now. I especially love the ongoing drama of the Barlow, Platt, McDonald and Connor families but there are very few characters that I don't like. Due to the Covid 19 pandemic, there is to be no big dramatic stunt for the 60th anniversary, which is a shame, as I always enjoy high drama. The best bit about the series is often the daft humour in the stories and it is humour that brings me to my next choice of book which is...
 
In Furiously Happy, a humor memoir tinged with just enough tragedy and pathos to make it worthwhile, Jenny Lawson examines her own experience with severe depression and a host of other conditions, and explains how it has led her to live life to the fullest. 
 
Jenny is so honest about her mental health issues and is happy to share them with her readers. At times I felt that I maybe shouldn't be laughing as it was kind of inappropriate but I think that was the point of the book. It is inappropriate humour but it sound like therapy for Jenny and it had that effect on me, making me feel that there are others dealing with worse issues and able to do it with humour. I can't wait for her next book! And another book that I can't wait to buy is this one... 

Ready Player One had so many aspects that I enjoyed-the 80's retro feel, the riddles to solve, the group of great MC's and actually getting all the pop culture references for once! I grew up in the 80's with the music, the Brat Pack films, playing Pac-Man for fun...so this book was like a stroll through my childhood! Such fun! I was really excited to hear about Ready Player Two but of course, I have to wait for the paperback to come out.

The 80's were my decade for sure and I still love listening to music for the decade. Pac-Man was my favourite game, and I loved a lot of things about the decade including the horror films. Another book lurking on my shelf with that 80's retro vibe in a horror setting even though I haven't read it yet...

Isn't that a great cover? I love horror films from that great slasher era of the late seventies and early eighties. Halloween, Friday The 13th, The Burning...I loved all of that kind of thing. So then I heard about the Kill River books from a blogger friend. This sounds like a typical slasher story. A group of kids sneak away from their summer camp and after getting lost, discover a nearby water park. But a dark shadowy figure is stalking them through the park...
 
Doesn't that look and sound great? I have four of his horror books which all have that retro feel. I love that skeleton cover and it is a theme for all the books that the author writes. And speaking of skeletons...
This book has another great cover and I was intrigued by both skeleton and cute dog! Makes you wonder why the dog isn't chewing on the poor guy! His name is Sid and he has lived in the house of his human friend Georgia for as long as he remembers and is part of the family. In this book Georgia decides to help Sid find out how he died.

Intriguing sound of mystery read isn't it? I like things that are a bit different. I keep meaning to dip back into this series to catch up with Sid! I'm not much for cozy mysteries but they have wonderful covers with a lot of dogs on them that you just want to cuddle! Dogs on covers are great in general and here is a dog cover to enjoy...
 
Isn't this such a cute dog cover? (This one is for you Barb!) I'm a bookcrossing member though I haven't had a lot of time there in recent years. I was sent a book of books (you take out what you want to read and replace them with your books and send them to the next person) and I couldn't resist the cute wee doggy face on the cover! This is the story of a dog who was a bit of a nightmare to own.
 
Dogs are man's best friend for sure and how cut is Ollie with his festive hat on! The general public are now getting their festive shopping underway though if you are like me, you have everything you need already and are ready to go! Let's go festive then...
 
How much more festive can you get than this eh? I'm not a fluffy Santa happy Christmas with kittens kind of person really so it was obvious that I was going to go a little less traditional! In this exciting sounding book, a town once recovered from a Christmas disaster but now it seems to be happening again. Teenagers are going missing and new horror is about to be unleashed. 
 
Yes this sounds like exactly what I want to read! Maybe I'll even get round to it this festive season. I love slasher films and books and curling up in my bed  with this sounds ideal. I also like the sound of some other books by the author and will probably check them out as well.
 
So there you go, 60 Years of Coronation Street to Santa Took Them!
 
 

 

12 comments:

  1. How'd it go with the pix this time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be ok putting a single image at each paragraph. No problems there. But it still goes a bit mental when I try to put three images in one row side by side!

      Delete
  2. The cover for Furiously Happy made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her taxidermy animals are so cute and funny! I'm looking forward to her new book now...

      Delete
  3. I love these posts when you do them. This one was so awesome. And YES! I need Walking Ollie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to think of a dog cover that was really cute and I suddenly remembered this one-I was sure you'd like the cover!

      Delete
  4. I have Furiously Happy to read and now might be a good time. I'm still struggling with putting pictures side by side and centering them. It's always something, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny's books have been so fun to read during the covid crisis-it gave me a few laughs that I badly needed! I have the new Allie Brosh book waiting for me too, so that should be fun!

      Delete
  5. I love that cover for Furiously Happy, it is bonkers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so many great looking books. yes, kill river looks awesoem
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many books I want to read but I'm slow getting round to reading them! Story of my life...*grins*

      Delete