Friday, 1 February 2019

Chuckles Weekend Roundup


Welcome to my feature Chuckles Weekend Roundup where I will be looking at what books I've received, anything interesting I've done or bought or watched and other random stuff. I'll be taking a look back at what happened in my blogging world too, sort of like The Sunday Post that some of you do! 

Please note that I'll be visiting your STS/SP as normal, but I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus, or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow DISQUS to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I am the only one who does that on my social media! I won't comment on any blog that makes me sign in using another account. Sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me because I deleted my account with them but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!
****************
I can't believe that a month has passed already. It was a good reading month and I hope for the same success in February. I reduced the TBR nicely and didn't buy too many books which was also pretty good. Overall, I'm happy with how things went and hopefully a good month to come. I am also trying to get stuff done around the house which is going to take up some time over the next couple of weeks. I feel tired all the time which is making the task take ten times as long as it should be doing, which is frustrating, but I'll get there eventually! This week I've picked up a couple of books in series that I've been following but I'm also adding a few that aren't on my Goodreads TBR that I need to read for a challenge this month.
 
DOWNLOADS  
 
 
 
PAPERBACKS
 
 
 
Chuckles Blogging World
I have struggled to get back into my routine after the enforced week off when the internet went down. I'm keeping up with comments and blog visits no problem but I'm a bit behind on reviews and advance posts which I aim to deal with this weekend.

Book Reviews
 
Michael Bray-Feed
 
Rick Chesler-The Tank
 
Regular Posts
No Around The Blogs this week as I posted that when I got back online on Thursday. It'll return to its usual Monday slot after this weekend. Cover Love looked at the gorgeous covers of Heather Blackwood, Top Ten Tuesday was about recent TBR additions and Books From The Backlog featured Tomorrow When the War Began.
 
Chuckles Cover Love

Top Ten Tuesday

Books From The Backlog

Discussion Posts
none this week
 
Book Challenges 
 
February Reading

Tackling the TBR
 
Reading Challenges Update 4
 
Book Review Backlog Challenge

Puppy Love
 
Special Posts 
none this week
 
Film & TV
I'm enjoying watching Masterchef US, watching season five at the moment. I'm amazed at the amount of bitching, fighting and people acting like tossers but I'm enjoying all the drama! There are contestants I want to slap for their arrogance and bitchyness but it is entertaining to watch! In the afternoons I'm re-watching Steve Austin's Broken Skull Challenge so my dad can watch it with me. That Skullbuster course is well named! I also bought season two of The Crown so I can binge watch the whole thing.

Book Tags/Blog Awards
none this week
 
Currently Reading/Up Next 
I'm doing a re-read of Jaye Well's Red Headed Stepchild which I really enjoyed, so I can do a series catchup this month. I might go straight on to book two or I might try reading books for other challenges like these two.
 
 

22 comments:

  1. I'm curious about your thoughts on Devil's Fingers. It wasn't one of my faves, but it still wasn't bad. I'm seeing a trend in the Shea novella trilogies where the first is my fave and the third I dislike the most. I see some pups! I just posted what I planned to read for that and it should go up Sunday. Also, check in tomorrow for a HUGE rant about a new movie - and probably my least fave EVER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found this trilogy of short stories so far to not be as good as the mail order massacres so I'm feeling less hyped going into this one. Have you seen the cover for his new book on Laura's blog? It looks AMAZEBALLS!

      For Puppy Love I hope to read the cozies first and then the apocalypse ones if I get time! Looking forward to seeing your book choice!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed S1 of The Crown. Claire Foy is great as Elizabeth II. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all these royal dramas so I'm sure I'll love this!

      Delete
  3. Look at you getting cozies! Booked 4 Murder was lots of fun but it'll definitely be a different kind of read for you. I haven't read any books in the Leigh Perry but I've been wanting to try it for some time. I haven't watched Master Chef but I'm addicted to Top Chef. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sort of picked up cozies that sounded ok if they were going cheap but I'm not a fan of the genre! Puppy Love is my excuse to get them read! I've watched and enjoyed Top Chef Canada but still need to watch Top Chef in the US!

      Delete
  4. I’m glad you had a good reading month! I read 11 books last month, but my TBR still grew because I have no self-control. Happy February!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My self control has been pretty good so far this year. I've only picked up one paperback that isn't part of a continuing series I'm following!

      Delete
  5. I feel tired a lot too but I'm thinking it is just the winter blues for me. The cloudy, cold days just drag on and I want to hibernate. At least we have plenty of good books to curl up with, right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good excuse to have lots of books, that's for sure!

      Delete
  6. I loved Masterchef, but I cut back on my TV watching dramatically, because my commute eats away at my free time. Hope you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just finished binge watching Masterchef US season 5 which I enjoyed. I know the judges start changing from now on which concerns me!

      Delete
  7. Those cozy mysteries look like fun! I keep wondering about picking up the ones themed around crochet -- titles like "Hooked On Murder" or whatever -- just to see what they do with the gimmick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was tempted by the dog covers more than the plots but a family with a pet skeleton and family dog was hard to resist!

      Delete
  8. I have Red-Headed Stepchild but still need to read it. It can be hard to get caught back up after you fall behind. I hope you have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My reading has been a bit slow since the month began so I'm playing catchup!

      Delete
  9. I've watched a lot of Masterchef, too. It's a addicting for a little while. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love things like Masterchef! I watch the UK, US, Canada and NZ versions, along with Top Chef and Bake Off.

      Delete
  10. I'm amazed to see cosy mysteries here! Though I can understand the appeal of the cute dog covers :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much of a cozy mystery fan but I do dabble in the odd one if the story sounds interesting!

      Delete
  11. Glass Vault looks interesting. I will have to check that one out. Hunter Shea still is on my list to read. I haven't been watching anything lately. Have a wonderful week of reading! I see you grabbed a few more for you puppy challenge.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The covers of these books really caught my eye when I first saw them and the story sounds interesting. It's not my usual read but I'm excited to try it!

      Delete