Monday, 4 February 2019

Book Review: Shark Station Nyet by Carolyn McCray (Salechii #2)


Putin wanted weaponized sharks to help guard Russia's coastline. And what Putin wants, he gets, however he also got far more than he expected! 

Join our heroes as they battle the biggest and smartest sharks they have ever encountered! 


My Review: 
***this review will contain spoilers about characters from the first book so read with caution if you haven't read Salechii***

Callum is being sued for millions of dollars by the family of those killed and injured in the Salechii disaster and the guilt is wearing him down. He is also being fitted for a titanium foot and had discovered that he can now only speak in Russian after his trauma. He is told by the Secretary of the Navy that Putin decided to protect his coastline with the use of weaponized sharks but now the research station in control of the sharks has gone quiet. Callum is asked to take a team to the station, find out what happened and rescue any survivors. However, the Seal Team going in with him has their own agenda which does not match Callum's objective and will make the mission more difficult. Add in the sharks loose in the complex and a traitor in the mix and the mission turns deadly.

Callum decides that he really has to go on the trip to Russia to see if he can save the people, as redemption for the people who died at Salechii. He resurrects his old team of loyalists to go with him as they are the only people he trusts. With him again is his son Dillon, Dillon's girlfriend Nami and her action hero film star dad Nick, Tanaka and Dillon's robot friend Quax. It was great to see that most of the gang were back together after really loving them all in the first book. The only one not going on the mission is Callum's scientist girlfriend Shalie who is staying at home but she is still part of the story which is good. The characters along with the shark action is what made that first book a five star read so it was great to have them all back on a similar sounding adventure.

This time we are introduced to a new group of characters with the Navy Seal team led by Nassar. Nassar was a total jerkweed in the beginning, one of those military guys who believes he is right about everything and won't listen to any suggestion given by Callum's team. He has a plan and nothing anyone says is going to alter it but when his plan goes wrong, it might be the robot he despises and the experts he ignores that are the best chance of saving his people. His team are on a mission to find something of value in the station that they have orders to retrieve and he is so blinded by it that he isn't thinking straight about the sharks swimming around waiting to eat people. I did like the personalities of the different team members and the way the two units have to learn to work together to get out alive.

I loved the setting of the book, with the Russian shark station. The book begins with the station being flooded and the sharks starting to kill people. We don't find out the fate of these people until our team enter the building and start exploring. It is very much like the film Deep Blue Sea with the flooded levels and the Navy Seals having to go to these levels to get the item they were sent for. I liked this environment because it means a lot of tension as the reader waits to see when the sharks will attack. There are a LOT of sharks in this book, some inside the complex and others ready to attack from the outside. Each moment that passes presents new problems to solve as they try to find a way to escape. Great fun!

As if they didn't have enough problems, it soon becomes clear that someone in the team is determined to sabotage the mission. It starts with a sabotaged parachute as the team jump from the plane to get to the station. It was interesting to play guess the traitor throughout, which adds another layer of interest to the stories. The shark were great and there was a wide range of them. Even the small sharks present a challenge when you are being chased down flooded corridors! For megalodon lovers, yes there is one of them lurking in the sea outside the station and I loved those scenes! 

I have read the whole series and I really enjoyed the whole thing. Salechii and Shark Station Nyet were my favourite two books though because I loved the underwater building settings with the sharks gliding around. It was full of action, tension and betrayal which are always fun in a thriller, and the characters were really great. I'm such a fan of Quax! I love how seamlessly the robots belong in this creature feature book. This series is a must for shark fans but I still wish for a paperback release!

Read September 2018.
5 stars.  

12 comments:

  1. You loved it! I'm so thrilled. We often feel differently about the same books but it's awesome that you loved this one too. These would be such great action films!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the entire series-so much shark fun! I just loved Quax!

      Delete
    2. I wish one of the covers featured Quax somewhere on it so we knew what he actually looked like. She has some super awesome covers!

      Delete
    3. I think they said he looked like a monkey with a kangaroo tail if I remember right! I want these books in paperback so I can look at the covers!

      Delete
  2. This looks awesome. I love sharks. I'll have to check out the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of my favourite ever shark books-love the series and I hope you do too!

      Delete
  3. I have a bunch of her books and love her writing. Have to check on this one.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds awesome. I will have to get this one. I love that you enjoyed this one so much!! Great review!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll need to read Salechii first as this book is second in a series!

      Delete