Sunday, 13 April 2014

Film Review: Cowboys and Aliens (2011)

A spaceship arrives in Arizona, 1873, to take over the Earth, starting with the Wild West region. A posse of cowboys and natives are all that stand in their way.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409847/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4 
 Filmography links and data courtesy of IMDb.

A man wakes up in the desert with amnesia, injuries and a dtrange metal cuff on his wrist. When he is recognised in town as a criminal and arrested, the arrival of alien ships throws everything into chaos. Now cowboys, native americans and criminals must join together to beat a common enemy.

This film was so slow that I nearly dozed off during the first hour. We had Daniel Craig's amnesia and treatment, cowboys behaving badly, the evil man who rules the town and his idiot son, an arrest and missing cows. We get a small bit of an alien attack and then it is back to endless talking, planning the journey to find the aliens, the travelling part and more talking. I think it was a full hour until we get to see one of the actual aliens in a close combat situation. Even after that you get a small bit of action followed by more plans and chat so the film just dragged along for me.

I disliked most characters especially all the obnoxious cowboys and wish the aliens had grabbed most of them. Daniel Craig is a good actor but his character had no personality, charisma or humour about him so it was hard to care what happened to him. Harrison Ford's character was an obnoxious and unpleasant man who I despised, though Ford took the part well. With most of the characters being cold, I liked few of them so I wasn't really rooting for any of them to survive. Keith Carradine was good as always, one of the few I did like!

To be fair the finale was decent with good action and tension as our posse take on the enemy but it just took too long to get there for me. Slow, dull and lacking a bunch of characters to like. I would not watch this film again.  
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

4 comments:

  1. ah yeah... this movie. I was really curious about it but well everyone told me the same thing and at the end I still haven't tried it. Sorry it was not that good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd been a bit unsure about trying it myself and now I'm thinking I could've spent the time reading instead! But who knows, you might like it better than me!

      Delete
  2. Oh really? We actually enjoyed it. We went in not knowing what to expect and no expectations at all. We came out with having had fun with it. We being my boys and I. Not that it was a top selling movie quality, but we enjoyed it for fun.

    Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it as much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it just didn't appeal to me at all.

      Delete