Tuesday, 1 September 2020

Monsterathon 2020 Tag


Monsterathon 2020 is beginning and in its second year, created by Chaptercviii over on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT4G1f_6wsc . My friend Barb is taking part so keep up with her progress on http://bookertsfarm.blogspot.com/ . This is the tag that you can take part in even if you aren't doing the event as everyone needs more book recommendations! 

Just find a book for each question! Naturally, all mine have a horror twist...

1) MAH SWAMP-A book with a good looking cover
I really love this trilogy and the covers are really stunning complete with a reptile like feel to them! And who doesn't want to read about a trilogy covering expeditions to a dinosaur world and a set of trials to determine who is going to be chosen to go?


2) WHISPERING WOODS-An underhyped book or one you've not heard a lot about
I never hear anyone talking about this but it's a great gory dinosaur adventure. Call it a cross between Jurassic Park and The Running Man! In a dystopian future, those deemed criminals have their crimes exaggerated and are put on a new TV game show. The first person to cross The Valley and reach the exit wins...but The Valley is full of scary dinosaurs and you must also survive the other contestants to win...
 

3) LAIR OF THE BABADOOK-A book with LGBTQIA+ representation
Overall Rhiannon Frater's zombie series As The World Dies has good diversity in an ethnic and sexuality sense with a bisexual MC who is married to a woman as the zombie apocalypse begins. I also love gay hairdresser Ken who appears I think in book two and three plus his own origins story in the wonderful Untold Tales companion novellas.

 
4) HYDRA'S HANGOUT-A mythology based book
This was my first and favourite Hunter Shea book. A group of tourists held hostage by a desperate gunman run aground in the swamp and kill a Sasquatch type creature, to the displeasure of the tribe who come after the tourists. Well, a lot of people regard the Yeti or Sasquatch as a myth so that fits nicely!

 
5) UNDER THE BED-A book by a BIPOC you've been sleeping on
Author is Mexican-American so I hope this counts. This book is a real horror thriller with graphic and shocking violence and the MCs are pretty contraversial. Personally I loved the book but it isn't for the faint hearted! A woman is kidnapped and is to appear in a brutal snuff film but is ready to do whatever it takes to survive at the expense of other innocent people.

 
6) YOUR FRIENDLY NEIGHBOUR'S HOUSE-let a friend pick a book for you
A blogger friend talked about how great this series was for shark fans and I loved it! Salechii is an underwater shark park which has a Deep Blue Sea type disaster leaving the hotel and labs flooded and people dying. Brilliant series!

 
7) SECRET CRYPT-A mystery book/mystery element
Call this a nice horror book with a mystery surrounding the killer! Dracula has just been murdered and the vampires connected to him have been summoned to find out who did it. Trapped by sunlight in the mansion with a killer who has boobytrapped the place, can any of them survive until night falls? Ooh I loved this gem and so did my dad!
 

8) A MOMENT OF PEACE-a comfort read
The greatest zombie series in the world ever! The story is set in the UK and US but features missions in Africa and the Middle East, following soldiers and special forces as well as civilians, on ships and in towns and cities during a zombie apocalypse. It is full of action, gore and humour and is still spawning spin off books!

 
9) AREA 51-a book featuring mutants or aliens
This horror book has everything...each room in the funhouse transports you for real to the scenario shown in the room-werewolves, summer camp serial killers, vampires, mad scientists, alien invasion, shopping mall zombies, salem style witch trials...die in the scene, you die for real, escape and you are back in the funhouse. But every room must be tried before you can leave...Oh man I totally loved this book and every single room has tension, horror and a favourite horror scenario!
 

10) REARVIEW MIRROR-Indie book or published over 5 years ago
This was the first really fast paced zombie trilogy I read and I loved it. It has a diverse mix of characters escaping from Africa in a zombie apocalypse and ending up in the US, crossing the country at the mercy of bad guys and militia as well as zombies and psycho government agents! The first two books were by the author who sadly died and the trilogy was completed nicely by another author. Now there are more books in the series but I'm sticking to the original trilogy!

 
11) THE UPSIDE DOWN-read a retelling
Not quite a traditional retelling but it is based on a Friday the 13th storyline with lots of summer camp scares and killings! But it isn't just a straight copy...it has its own fun twists to enjoy and I'd love to see a sequel! I've enjoyed what I've read of the author so far.

 
12) THE BUNKER-a book with disability/deaf representation  
Another fantastic zombie series that now has a follow up series and other spin off set in the same world. I loved the characters, the missions and the zombie like mutants who seem to keep changing with each book! One of the MC's, my favourite character Fitz is a disabled former soldier who lost his legs in combat.



Feel free to join in and do this tag even if you aren't doing Monsterathon!

16 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you did this. You gave me some great ideas for prompts I might struggle with on my TBR. I only have to do 4 that apply to Team Haunt but it's good to have some other ideas if I try to do more. And yes, Survivor definitely counts. Also, I had no idea Carnival of Fear had such variety of monsters. Now I definitely need to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carnival Of Fear has every horror scenario rolled into one horrible funhouse and then some! I found a good online source for diversity...I need to shove it in a blog post to help people pick books. It helped me with this list too!

      Delete
  2. I still need to read Carnival of Fear and both The VAlley and Arisen look kind of awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that sounds like good reading choices Lark! I gave five stars to each of these books when I read them! I hope you get the chance to enjoy them soon!

      Delete
  3. I love the Extinction Trials so much, but then you already know that haha! The Valley looks totally up my alley too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone needs dinosaurs in their life Greg! I love these twisted dinosaur gameshow ones-Dinosaur 65 Million (Catt Dahman) and The Island (Michael Bray) were other good options!

      Delete
  4. Those sounds really good. I haven't read a book like those in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason this week I feel sort of energised to promote some of my favourite books so this tag was a perfect excuse!

      Delete
  5. Yep I’ll be adding a few of these to my list, I keep seeing the Extinction Trial books on a lot of other blogs, I’ll definitely check then out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided that my mission in life is to add to everyone's TBR! If mine is going to be full of stuff, I'm doing the same to everyone else!

      Delete
  6. awesome post and so many good looking books. i especially like swamps, woods, and who isn't afraid of what lurks under the bed? LOL
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might need to bring back a few of my horror scenario lists to give people a few ideas of stuff to add to their TBR's!

      Delete
  7. I watch a lot of monster movies but I haven't read many of the books. I know so many people the love the Extinction Trial series.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot live without monsters in my life! Sharks, Sasquatches, sea monsters, zombies, dinosaurs, mutant monsters, cannibals...just a few of my favourite things!

      Delete
  8. I've read a bunch of these too. Spied one I need to go check out. The Valley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so much want a prequel or sequel to The Valley! I loved that book!

      Delete