Tuesday, 5 May 2020

Virus Days 7


I sort of had to scrap what I was writing to start again and do this update. My uncle, as you know, hasn't been feeling great for a week or so. He has a lung condition linked to working with asbestos, and like many older pensioners, he has a stubborn streak a mile long. A few years back he got rid of his landline phone to get a mobile, therefore not having to pay line rental.  Great in theory, except he can't work the bloody thing. Every time we call him, he cuts my dad off by pressing the off button as he talks. But most of the time, we can't get through because he has it on day and night and overnight, the battery runs out and the phone won't ring. Or we get that message 'the other person has cleared'.

My dad delivered food to him on Saturday and thought he didn't look well but my uncle refused to call NHS 111, saying he'd call the doctor on Monday. Now the way our GP works during the virus crisis is that you phone at 8am when it opens and a doctor rings you back within about 30-45 minutes to discuss your symptoms. My uncle phoned on both Thursday and Friday but of course, the doctor tried to ring back both days but couldn't get a reply! My dad tried to call him all day Sunday with no luck and went over on Monday morning. My uncle was really ill and didn't know where he left his phone. My dad had to rush to our house to call an ambulance and then go back over.

He was admitted to A&E within twenty minutes and the paramedic told my dad that it was not just his breathing that was an issue-he had a dangerously fast heartbeat. They got him on oxygen and medication. He's in intensive care and after spending nearly half an hour trying to locate where he was, we were told that he had settled since admission which was something. We had the same carry on this morning but they finally gave us an update. His heart rate is still too high but he is on various machines and medications and can actually talk, which is a positive thing. It doesn't appear at this moment that he has the virus. They plan to watch him and then in 48 hours reassess whether he can be released, which took us by surprise. Based on that, we HOPE that he is going to be ok and can get home soon. My dad was convinced last night that my uncle was going to die, and he didn't get any sleep last night. He's not out of the woods but we at least have some hope. The nurses have no idea what a grumpy patient they now have!

Ugh, what a stressful two days but fingers crossed that he'll be ok. I also want to take the time to send out my best wishes to all of you, some of whom have relatives with worrying health issues at this time. My thoughts are with you guys at this tough time. Stay safe everyone.

10 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed your uncle continues to improve and is able to come home soon. Sending all my best thoughts and wishes your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lark! I hope all of your loved ones are safe and well too.

      Delete
  2. Most older people do the mistake of letting go of their landline and find themselves with a phone they can't seem to work! Thank goodness he's got you and your dad. I hope he'll get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really needs to get a landline or we'll make him phone us daily so we can check up on him! If our car breaks down, we could be stuck and not able to contact him. Worrying! Thanks for your kind thoughts and I hope your loved ones are doing ok.

      Delete
  3. Oh no! I'm sending prayers your way and pass on hugs and puppy kisses to your dad - and of course you too Auntie Chuckles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully he seems to be on the mend but they are taking it slow to build up his strength. Thank you for the thoughts and the puppy kisses! Hope you guys are ok!

      Delete
  4. Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle and hope he improves soon. I'm glad your dad was able to get there and get help. Hopefully you'll both get some rest and destress a bit soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's been slowly improving every day thankfully which is a relief. My dad and I need a very long holiday after all this carry on! Hope all of you are well!

      Delete
  5. I am sorry that I didn't get over here to post that I was thinking of you when you first posted this. I did see what was going on since I get your updates in my email and have been worried about you. I am glad that it appears your uncle is doing better but that experience had to be scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole! You guys are always a great support to me and I know that this virus is playing havoc for everyone. There are days when time seems to disappear! It certainly gave us all a scare, especially my uncle I think!

      Delete