This is kind of how I feel about my reading at the moment. Even my re-read of my beloved Harry Potter feels like an uphill trek with a heavy backpack in the blazing sun! It's a struggle with concentration and motivation and I only seem to be getting a few chapters read at a time instead of my normal hours at a time night reading sessions! I also have the added issue of needing a mass clearout of my bedroom to get it looking like something other than a disaster zone-to do that I MUST clear out a pile of books.
The plan is to look at every bookshelf and weed out the things I read and liked but won't be reading again. I need to get them into bags ready to deliver to a charity shop as soon as they open for donations again. I also need to get reading the paperback and hardback books on my bookshelves for the same purpose. I decided to get a list of books I own in various genres that either have mixed reviews, I'm not quite as keen to read it as I was when I bought it or I think I'll read it once and be satisfied with that. If I can tackle them first, I could make a tiny dent in the pile and get my reading back on track! I hope...
Have you read any of these books? What did you think of them? Were they slow, boring, over descriptive or with poor characters?
THE LIST
1) Brandy Purdy-The Ripper's Wife/ The Secrets of Lizzie Borden
I like the subjects but often struggle with non Tudor historical novels. I have liked her Tudor fiction so I'm not sure how I'll go with this.
2) Stephen King-The Long Walk
Fell out of love with King years ago but this being an earlier book, it could go either way. I can't even remember if I've read it before!
3) Gillian Bagwell-The Darling Strumpet
The affair between Nell Gwynn and King Charles II fascinates me but again, it's a time period I don't like reading historical fiction about.
4) DD Barant-Bloodhound Files series
I need to finish it. Book one was great but the next two have had good bits are poor bits. Now I hear the series finished on a cliffhanger and stopped. Yuk!
5) Conn Iggulden-War of the Roses series
I like some WOTR fiction but have never tried any by a male author so I'm not really sure what to expect.
6) Billy Billingham-The Hard Way
A memoir of a Special Forces man who is a presenter of SAS Who Dares Wins. I generally read biographies once then pass them on to other readers.
7) William Jevning-Notes From The Field
This is a non fiction book about looking for evidence of Sasquatches. Unless it's brilliant I'm likely to read it once and let it go to a new home.
8) Joseph Nassise-By The Blood Of Heroes
I've never been a fan of Nazi zombie films so I'm a bit wary about a book with that plot. These alternate history books can be hit or miss.
9) Phil Scraton-Hillsborough The Truth
Books about the disaster are emotional and hard to read so again I expect to read it once and then let the book go elsewhere.
10) Joanna Hickson-The Tudor Crown
This author is new to me and it is about Henry VII fighting for the throne. I'm not sure how I'll go with this as I prefer books about Henry VIII, but I'll give it a try.
11) The Tony Benn Diaries
I describe myself politically as right of centre, so very left wing politics are not my thing. I expect to read the Benn diaries once and part with them but they should be interesting.
12) John Steakley-Vampire$
I loved the film version-John Carpenter's Vampires-and I'm curious about the book. It's been on my shelves forever so I want to deal with it soon.
13) Kate Emerson-Secrets of the Tudor Court series
I love Tudor novels but the first in this series was a bit dull and the others get very mixed reviews so I kind of want to get them out of the way.
14) Theresa Saldana-Beyond Survival
I liked the film version of this book about the actress nearly being killed by a stalker. Again with memoirs I expect to just read it once.
15) Ollie Ollerton-Break Point
Another SAS Who Dares Wins presenter. The same goes here-I expect the book to be interesting but I rarely keep biographies and memoirs.
16) Walter Farley-Black Stallion series
I loved the series as a kid so I want to read and review them, and only to keep the very best ones for my collection.
17) Lincoln Child-Utopia
I was going through a buy horror and thrillers set in theme park books at the time but the reviews of the book are mixed and I'm not as keen now!
18) John Preston-A Very English Scandal
A political scandal in the UK, turned into a book and TV mini series. I think I'll read this once but it does sound fascinating.
19) Paul F Wilson-The Keep
I read a book he co-authored and liked it. The Nazis in this book are fighting vampires and I'm a bit worried the book might be a bit slow for me.
20) Joseph Talluto-White Flag Of The Dead series
I loved book one of this zombie apocalypse novel but reviews of later books in the series are pretty poor so I'm worried about it!
21) Anthony King-The Blunders of Our Government
This looks at mistakes made by Labour and Tory governments so it should be pretty balanced but whether I'll read it more than once is open to question.
22) Tyrell Johnson-The Wolves of Winter
YA is not really top of my list and I was given this book as a gift. I can't say I'm keen to read it at the moment so it might be worth getting over with!
23) Malcolm Gaskill-Witchfinders
I picked this non fiction up in a sale. While I'm interested in witch trials and things, the content of the book could be heavy and I expect to read it once!
24) MR Carey-The Boy On The Bridge
I liked The Girl With All The Gifts but this one has a vague blurb and has failed to excite me so I really don't know what to expect from it.
25) Isabel Hardman-Why We Get The Wrong Politicians
I bought this on a whim to get free postage on an Amazon order and I'm not sure I'll like it especially if the views are too left wing.

I hear ya! I'm just now emerging from whatever this is. Quarantine brain or something. I'm still not back to my normal pace but at least I'm reading again.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
Karen @ For What It's Worth
Quarantine Brain...that's exactly it! My brain feels dead and gooey most of the time and some days I just feel half asleep! I started on one of these books last night and feel better for getting on with something productive!
DeleteOkay, so I loved The Wolves of Winter and it might be a tad slow, but knowing your taste on books, I think you might find it a tad slow. That being said I still wouldn't recommend you give up on it. I also LOVED both The Ripper's Wife and The Trials of Lizzie Borden and think since you love her other work, you might just enjoy these one.
ReplyDeleteThat being said, I can certainly understand why concentration is hard right now.
I'm so mad that I seem unable to zoom through books and get lots of reading done! Like Karen says it's Quarantine Brain! The Wolves of Winter looks short enough to do in a couple of days so I might make that priority. I so much want to like the Purdy books!
DeleteI actually really liked The Wolves of Winter. It's the only one on your list that I've read, so I can't help with any of the others. I've been trying to go through my bookshelves and weed out any books I know I'll never read again...although with my library currently closed I feel like hoarding ALL my books, you know?
ReplyDeleteI know a lot of people liked it but I'm just unsure about it suiting me personally. I do intend to give it a try, hopefully soon! I'm ready to let go of a book pile (though I get why you want to grab yours and hug them to you!) but the house is in a state of chaos at the moment! I'd be clearing my room to clutter another room, as charity shops are all closed! I sort of want to get started in case the weather gets warmer and turns me into a sloth!
Deletei have been reading a lot, it's the reviews i'm having trouble with, so i won't be reviewing some of the freebies from amazon. i haven't read any of the ones listed and i'm surprised at that. hope you enjoy whichever you choose first
ReplyDeletesherry @ fundinmental
I can't motivate myself to catch up with the reviews of the few books I've read during lockdown! Reviews can be tough to write at the best of times and it feels too hard right now! I'm already nearly finished A Very English Scandal and really enjoyed it!
DeleteYou've summed up how I'm feeling about reading at the moment perfectly! The past couple of weeks has been life that. I guess it's better than being in a complete slump and unable to read at all!
ReplyDeleteMy reading is still very slow but I am at least getting a bit done each night. I'm about to finish one so now I need to decide what I feel like reading...
DeleteI read the first book in the Bloodhound Files and thought it was okay but didn't continue with the series. I have heard that The Long Walk is really good. I hope you enjoy all of these, Chuckles!
ReplyDeleteThe first book was good and I like a lot of the characters but the plot and writing are dragging it down in later books. I DNFed after book three.
Delete