Thursday, 9 January 2020

Chuckles Chuntering

I have to admit it has been a tiring couple of days and not the most productive online! On Tuesday my dad and I braved the wild weather and went to the shopping centre about five minutes from the town where I live by car along the motorway. We were determined to buy something fun just because! My first stop was Waterstones to see if I could buy some books...just so I could christen my Velocireader book bag! I picked up a political book, a military biography, a hard copy of an ebook I recently enjoyed, a cartoon book and CJ Tudor's second book. There was a bit of a sale so I got a bit of money off. I was going to buy a cute wee niffler soft toy but it was small and they wanted £23 for it!!! Not a chance!
 

Next stop for me was a clothes shop called Yours-I picked up three winter sweatshirts and a soft warm new housecoat which I love! I generally hate clothes shopping but these are things I really needed so it was ok. Browsed my way down to HMV where my dad was happily grazing amongst the cd's and dvd's! I treated myself to the dvd of Mary Queen of Scots-the new one just out. You know I like that kind of stuff! My dad bought a few Danny Trejo films and a couple of horrors that I might look at. I was horrified to discover that the chocolate shop Thornton's has closed down!!! I wanted to treat myself!!! There is another shop called Hotel Chocolate but I never go in there as it is much more expensive. 

My dad and I were both tired after our shopping adventure and flopped down in front of the TV. For the best part of a few weeks, we've had howling winds and a lot of rain, which is a bit depressing so I just cheered myself up with a few vital Amazon purchases which should be coming over the next week to ten days. Including a niffler!!! Yesterday I had two days of comments and blog visits to go through so no time to get posts written but I feel a lot livlier today and back to normal so I've got a lot to do.


I notice with interests that there are a few people who are determined not to answer my Goodreads Challenge question. I simply ask why people want to be my friend. There is no right answer ie I write books in a genre you like, I'm a friend of..., we are both on a book site, we have similar taste in books, we both love GoT and so on. But the answers I'm getting at the moment-when they bother to answer it at all-are rude and dismissive. 'Because.' 'I don't know.' 'Whatever.' 'No comment.' It's just so RUDE! Does anyone else have that problem? Do you ignore such requests? On my profile I say that if you give a dumb answer or no answer, I'll ignore the request totally. So that is what I do. 

Reading is still going well which I'm pleased about-a few short books, a monster sized political memoir and a couple of books around the 200-250 pages. I'm happy with progress so far and hope for the month to continue to be so good. I'm on another zombie book at the moment so it has been a horror fiction and non fiction start to the year! How are you guys getting on with your reading so far this year?


18 comments:

  1. Sounds like a productive shopping trip and I hope you enjoy your haul. My Mom got me a stuffed niffler for Christmas. I'll have to post a picture. I wonder if it's the same one. The way I see it, if someone can't put some effort, or even creativity, into your Goodreads question, you don't need them as a friend there right? Maybe that's just my opinion. I've read 3 books this year already and am 10% into a 4th and 20% into a 5th. Not bad considering I have puppy-lag. Have a wonderful rest of your week and Cass and Apollo send their kisses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my own Niffler and he's gorgeous! A lot of my monkeys are named after US Presidents so I'm calling him Winston for our former PM! I hope your niffler is not being chewed by Apollo!!!

      Yeah I hate dumb answers on the friend request thing. If they are going to be disrespectful, I don't need them in my life!

      Delete
  2. I have to be in the right mood to shop - it is exhausting! Glad you found a few goodies to make it worthwhile :) Goodreads can be a strange place. I have the same question and some ignore it altogether. I do ignore some people who seem to be just collecting friends that I know will never interact with me but I have approved the occasional new person that seems like a real reader. I deleted a bunch of friends on Goodreads a few years ago since all of their stuff was clogging my feed and they never interacted with me anyway. I am always amazed that anyone would want to follow me anyway. Glad to hear that this years reading is off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate shopping! I have a food shop to do soon to stock up on cheese and fruit and perishable stuff and I'm not looking forward to it at all!

      Goodreads can be great and annoying! I feel they should have to answer it in some way or the request is not sent through. I hate it when they ignore it! I'm deleting those who have been inactive on Goodtreads for over a year just to tidy things up a bit.

      Delete
  3. I hate clothes shopping too! I wear my clothes until they’re so old that they rot off me. :)

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T Shirts are pretty much most of what I wear-Game of Thrones, political, monsters...an entire drawer full of 'em!

      Delete
  4. That sounds like a fun shopping trip! Sorry about the chocolate shop though - that's a huge bummer. As for the GR challenge question, people are generally decent about answering mine but sometimes they ignore and in return I ignore their friendship request. I also find that people are getting ruder on the internet in general. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People are certainly getting ruder on the Internet. After our DEcember election, there were hashtags saying not my prime minister and proclaiming that the PM pretty much was going to starve the poor and destroy life as they know it. It's insane! And don't get me started on the trolling!

      Delete
  5. I don't ask a question on Goodreads but I had no problem answering yours. If someone sends me a request I just look to see if they actually review books, or if we like the same books. Some people I think just want a lot of friends for some reason and I just delete those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People seem obsessed with collecting friends purely for numbers. I like to be friends with people I can interact with or who have similar books in common or love GoT or something but I don't reject people for having different tastes as long as they answer the question y'know?

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a very successful shopping trip!
    I never set up a Goodreads question, but I don't understand why people are being so weird about yours. It's not like you're being intrusive or anything. Probably best off without them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Successful but tiring! I left my Goodreads question pretty open and on my profile I say it isn't a trick question, just wanting to know what made them decide to hit the friend request button!

      Delete
  7. Man, I can't believe people would be rude like that in answering a question. You'd think if they actually wanted to be your friend that their attitude would be different.

    I bit the bullet and joined but am currently just rating and shelving what I read in '20. I figure this year will be a good experiment to see if the year end stats are worth it to me or not.

    Bookstooge.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People are getting ruder all over the internet these days! It doesn't make you want to be friends with some of these idiots! Most are obviously collecting friends so they can look like they have big followings to try and get freebies from Netgalley!

      Good luck with Goodreads!

      Delete
  8. Yeah, Thornton's is a sad one. I loved their cappuccino continental bars. You can still buy boxes of Thornton's chocolates in supermarkets and stuff though. They're usually next to the Roses etc.
    Glad you had an otherwise pleasant shopping trip!

    I can't comment on the GR question (as to whether ignoring it is normal) but I do answer them when I'm presented with one. I figure people are asking for a reason, you know? Keeps the spammers away... I don't blame you for ignoring them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Thornton's! I used to pick up a few boxes each time I passed by but now I have to get a bus into town to get it or buy it on Amazon, which is easier but more expensive.

      Delete
  9. Your shopping trip sounds like it was nice and successful! Bummer about the price of the bag though! And oye, some people... I cannot stand rudeness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rude people are the down side to the Internet!

      Delete