Wednesday, 1 January 2020

Chuckles Chuntering


The year of the more chilled-out Chuckles has arrived! I finished 2019 in a bit of a flap trying to get all the housework done-three loads of washing, ironing, scrubbling the bathroom, getting all the dishes washed and tried, rubbish out to the bins...I HATE mess when I get up on January 1st so I had a lot to do over the last few days! I didn't get the last few book reviews done but I was less worried about that in the end, and I'll be working on those today while my dad yells at the horse racing!

Last night was quieter than usual for New Year. The first fireworks I heard were at 11.30 pm which made a change and the noise was over by 12.30 so I could get to sleep at a decent hour. I basically spent NYE cleaning the bathroom, then reading for a few hours before going to my bed. Chuckles is no longer a party animal-that is way too tiring!

My plans for 2020 revolve around the reading, viewing and blogging. Last year I had lists of books I wanted to get to and I had to keep changing and deleting as I changed my mind about what I was reading-it was all a bit of a mess. This year I will be doing five challenges.


I've set my initial Goodreads target to 100. I HOPE to get up to the 200 again but I'm not going to get stressed out about it so I'm setting it low and will adjust it each time I near my target. 

I'm doing three of my own challenges. It will be a fiction, a non fiction and a series catchup. There will be no specific targets or book lists set in advance. As I read or DNF a book, I will add it to my fiction or non fiction list as a book dealt with and off the TBR. Books that are part of a series will also be put on my series catchup challenge, grouped into author and series. I'm hoping to finish off series where I only have a couple of books to read or complete a few full series and trilogies but I'm not setting specific targets. It will be all about the mood reading this year to keep the stress down.

I might yet join in with a few challenges during the year that are themed reads for a month but I'll see how my mood is at the time these challenges begin. I'll also be doing my Tackling The TBR challenge which was a great success but this time it will be a monthly roundup rather than a weekly roundup. 


I am determined this year to get more films watched that I haven't seen before and to catch up with or start one of the shed-load of TV series that I want to look at. I hope to be doing reviews of what I'm watching and improve on the effort of last year which wasn't great for getting things watched. Must do better this year!!!

On the blogging side of things my regular posts will still be pretty much the same, taking part in Top Ten Tuesday where I can do the topic and doing Around The Blogs With Chuckles, and my weekend and reading catchups. I hope to visit my blogging friends a little more and stop falling behind in replying to comments!

What grand plans do you have for your reading and blogging? What are your hopes and goals for the year ahead?

16 comments:

  1. I usually set my Goodreads challenge at 50 to start and then go up in increments. I'm glad I did that last year. With my move and a reading slump I only made it to 83. Not bad - but not even close to my usual 200.

    Karen @ For What It's worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good way to do it and 100 is a good starting total for me to aim at. I'm already at five finished so it makes me want to read more! In the ideal world I'd love to get to 300...I did 250 one year but those were heady heights!

      Delete
  2. I love the sloth at the top of this post. I hope you’re as chilled out as that guy. Good luck with your challenges! Happy 2020!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to try and be that chilled out sloth! Thanks AJ and good luck to you!

      Delete
  3. Great way to start off the new year! :D I wish you good reading...and good living, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sloths look like they enjoy life don't they! I'm hoping for as stress free a year as possible!

      Delete
  4. I like setting low goals and not stressing over it! We were such party animals that we were asleep at midnight - until the fireworks started! They were short lived so it wasn't a big deal. Laundry is almost a daily chore around here but I refuse to iron anything :) I hope you have a wonderful 2020, Chuckles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't as noisy in our area as usual which was a nice change! I don't have the energy for celebrations of any kind! I no longer iron my PJs and underwear which cuts down on the work a bit!

      Delete
  5. We stayed home for New Years as we always do. As usual some idiots let of fireworks but Cass and Apollo disembark phased. I couldn't help but think at least Booker T didn't have to suffer through them. We did open some champagne at midnight outside at the pups' graves. Then we went to bed😁 Hope you have a great 2020.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Booker T had a bad time with fireworks. I love that you celebrated the new year with all your faithful friends, even those who have passed. That's lovely! Happy New Year to all the family!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a good plan for 2020! I'm hoping to be a bit more chilled out, too. o_o;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always start out planning to be chilled but life then gets in the bloody way! *grins*

      Delete
  7. Chilled out Chuckles sounds like a good goal for the year :-)
    I'm with Carole on the ironing. I now specifically buy clothes that don't need it so that's one less loathsome chore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying not to think about my dad's upcoming new operation which is due in February as that will send my stress levels up to Mars! Ugh ironing, I hate it!

      Delete
  8. I've been setting my Goodreads goal super high but the last couple of years have not been kind to my reading so I'm dropping it down to 100. We had a pretty quiet NYE but it was nice. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a few of us are starting low on the Goodreads goal this year and seeing how things develop! Happy New Year to you and your family!

      Delete