Hi everyone! I've sort of been like The Ghost of Chuckles over the last week to ten days and I'm sorry to have been absent in mind and body. As a bit of background I have suffered from stress and depression since 2001 and normally it is pretty much under control with mostly good days but some bad. All the little worries and niggles that can normally be shut out all just piled up to overwhelm my system-the state of the house and garden, things on the news, worry about the rental neighbours and what they might be like, the last dental treatments, being behind on all the computer stuff etc. I went into a bad depression fit and just sat around the house pretty much doing nothing this whole week and feeling like crap. It wasn't a good feeling and I hadn't been like that for a long time.
Then I woke up on Wednesday morning and just suddenly felt back to normal! I celebrated the end of the dental treatment (yea!), I started reading, I started blogging and I feel GOOD! I even got some of those book reviews done as you'll notice! I'm a bit behind in comments on my blog and visits to your blog but I'll catch up on that over the weekend. I took a lot of time to really think about my blogging and how to make life easier and I think I've come up with a few things to try until the end of the year to see if that makes a difference to a less stressful blogging life!
Starting with Top Ten Tuesday. There is a lot of topic repetition and lots that just don't interest me so I'm making changes to this. I like to write out my lists weeks in advance but I can often struggle for days to think of a twist or replacement when the topic doesn't suit me. From now on, I'll be concentrating on getting the TTT topics I like written and dated ready to use. If I think of twists that are quick to get ten for, I'll work on them next or if I have a topic of my own ready to use I'll do that. Otherwise I'll just totally skip the topics I don't want to do and save myself time.
Get the Book Review Backlog done. I now feel ready to tackle all of the backlog reviews and finally get caught up fully. Then I only need to write a review each time I finish a book, keeping me on top of things and no backlog to deal with. That should really make a difference! I am planning to use the whole weekend to catch up on comments, blog visits and getting posts ready to use in advance, leaving the week free for reviews as I read, and stuff off the computer!
I'm focusing less on stressful subjects too. I've been getting too irate about things on the news which I have no control over, so now the news is off limits all day as I blog! I'm watching things on channels like Quest, DMax, Sky Two, Discovery, NatGeo etc so lots of the type of reality TV I love like Deadliest Catch, Bering Sea Gold, Outback Opal Hunters, Timber Kings, Outback Truckers, My Kitchen Rules, Masterchef, Gold Rush, Wicked Tuna, Yukon Gold, Cold Water Cowboys, American Ninja Warrior...I love tough job TV shows, fun tough athletic style game shows, cookery contests...so my dad and I are enjoying episodes of this kind of thing all day which is much more fun! I take a quick look at the news for ten minutes at the end of each day and that is more than enough right now! Nights are split between reading and watching films and favourite box sets. I needed more fun in my life!
We've decided not to get a new carpet because it would mean trying to get all the furniture moved around twice in one day to get a guy in to fit it-that includes seven bookcases, a heavy TV unit, a huge heavy cabinet...ugh! Instead we are getting that wooden flooring that clicks together and I'll be putting that down in sections so we only need to move a few things at a time. It'll take a few days more but could be less stressful overall so we're looking at wood next week hopefully. Everything is on a big list ready to be ticked off as we get it done. Hopefully a good few things will be done by spring!
I want to thank all of you who have been so supportive, offering advice and suggestions about how to get the blogging sorted. Looking at what you guys said and talking it all over with my dad helped to clear my mind and get me to focus on what I WANT to do rather than what I think I should be doing. I guess it's about training the mind, right?! I do want to say thank you because your imput really helped me during this period and I now feel blogging refreshed and ready to go!

Wow! Sounds like things are looking up. So sorry you've had such a trying time. Cass sends Auntie Chuckles kisses. The flooring sounds like the way to go and let me know how easy that it because Mr. Barb and I have contemplated it as well. We had some household issues this week as well which you'll see in tomorrow's post.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you are feeling better and I've been struggling with Top Ten Tuesday topics lately as well. I don't know if it's the topics or me but lately I've been lucky to come up with 5. Enjoy your weekend my friend!
Kiss Cass back for me, he's such a good boy! I like the sound of doing that flooring so we can do bits gradually at our own pace, not worry about spilling stuff on a carpet and not have to pay workmen to do it! We hope to look at wood next week and give in a nice dark wood!
DeleteTTT has been very repetitive with recurring themes, weird themes and it has been tough to put lists together. I'll certainly be scaling back on it!
Wow, that is a LOT of stuff going on. Glad you seem to be over the hump though.
ReplyDeleteGood call on avoiding the news for a bit. That gets me down if I watch/listen too much all at once.
Bookstooge.wordpress.com
Mentally feeling a bit better for sure. Once I catch up on reviews and blog ahead again I hope things will be much easier!
Deletei avoid the news. nothing i can do to change anything anyway. now, all i need is my wolverines to play football like they mean it. it was stressful and very sad. FIRE THE COACH! at least alabama won, mr wonderful's alma mater and michigan state is looking pretty good. now to see how the florida teams fare.
ReplyDeletesherry @ fundinmental
My footie team are not setting the world alight this season so I'm trying to ignore their lack of progress at the moment!
DeleteI'm so glad to hear you're feeling better! It's so frustrating how things like this can come in waves. I hope you continue to feel better and get in plenty of rest and reading time! :)
ReplyDeleteIt does seem to come in waves and it's unpredictable too! I hope that things become easier as the year ends and next year is a good new start!
DeleteI think we've had very similar thoughts on the topic of reading/blogging lately. As soon as I resolved that I'd be better about doing these things just for fun, I immediately wanted to read more each day, heh.
ReplyDeleteYeah I had great sympathy for your struggles too! I knew I was struggling but it is the solutions that are tougher to find! I hope we can both find a bit more balance!
DeleteYeah for the end of dental work. I have been known to do totally different topics on Top Ten Tuesday, when I am not feeling the topic. I just like making lists of books. You have to do what works for you.
ReplyDeleteThe dental work was nowhere near as bad as I feared but it is still a relief to be done!
DeleteI am so glad that things are looking up for you. I am glad that you took the break you needed and do so in the future whenever you need to. Don't worry about comments. Just jump back in when you can and don't look back. I think that if you keep your blog so that you are having fun with it then everything else blogwise should just fall into place. I am very happy for you, Chuckles!
ReplyDeleteI've been a bit AWOL this week again with more stupid stress but hopefully things are sorted and I can have a nice quiet week ahead!
DeleteI'm glad you're feeling refreshed but so sorry that you felt like crap like that. I hope with your plans in mind that things improve lots and you're able to stay on top of everything. If not, take a break again. Your mental well being is more important than anything and sometimes you just need to remove the things that compromise it...
ReplyDeleteP.S - I'm officially avoiding the news. I've had enough. I can't take it anymore. Between politicians fighting like blood thirsty demons, the media hyping everything up to fever pitch for no reason beyond dramatic effect and all the climate change stuff I'm losing my shit and need to walk away and just breathe or I'll actually go insane.
Being a Brexit voter means I have been in a state of utter rage at everyone trying to plot and overturn the result of the EU Ref! For my mental health I've had to stay away from the news this last week or so! I'm so sick of it all and wish it was October 31st and we can just leave! I am avoiding mentioning Brexit or my opinion on certain climate change protesters and certain hypocritical celebrities in my posts as I don't need fights starting here too!
Delete