Sunday, 3 August 2014

Book Review: Nobody loves a Bigfoot like a Bigfoot Babe by Simon Okill

The Northern California town of Big Beaver has become a haven for Bigfoot, alien sightings and is home to The Phantom Bigfoot Bather. One particularly weird Beaverite, Duane, has kept the Bigfoot a secret, but to his utter dismay, a female Bigfoot abducts a teenager. Duane must use all his guile to stop his secret from getting out, especially now that MB, his close friend and crypto-zoologist, is on the trail, along with Sheriff Lou and the FBI. Can Duane keep his Bigfoot friends a secret? And what does MB discover deep in the forest?

My Review:
I love Bigfoot films, documentaries and books so when I saw this one I thought that this would be perfect for me. Sadly it turned out to be the opposite.

I am not a fan of books that are just crude for the hell of it, whether they are meant to be funny or not, and that sums up this book for me. It feels like a book that a 14 year old boy would write, sniggering at his crude jokes as he goes along. In the first few chapters it talks non stop about farts, women's breasts, dope smoking and who had sex or is planning to have sex that day. The female sheriff seems to have alcohol issues and screws any guy that stands still long enough while being a spiteful bitch to her deputy who sounds like the dumbest guy on the planet. How am I meant to like a nasty heroine like this?

Then we have Duane who is a revolting piece of filth who delights in farting, pigging out and having sex with women with big breasts. The question for me is why any woman would want him and his lack of hygiene and brain. Annie is only there to show her Grand Canyon cleavage, the kids do nothing but smoke dope and do lewd grafitti, everyone in the book is workshy and we have a weird zoologist who hides in bushes to record the Sheriff's conversations. The characters are all obnoxious and I could not connect to a single one of them. As for the humour, well I didn't really find anything funny about the book.

Bigfoot seems to take a back seat to the nudge nudge wink wink crude jokes and sexual innuendo which bored me by chapter three. If you don't mind this kind of humour and are amused by these kinds of characters then you might well enjoy this book and have a good laugh at it. But it just wasn't my thing I'm afraid.

This is the second book by this author that I have read and his work is definitely not for me. 
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment