Thursday, 21 August 2014

Book Review: Beg for Mercy by Toni Andrews


I've never been certain I'm human Oh, the X-rays and blood tests are normal, and most people have no reason to suspect I'm more than I appear to be. But if I tell you to do something? You do it--no ifs, ands or buts. My name is Mercy Hollings, and if you think that having the power to control people makes my life easy, you're dead wrong.

Because when I get angry, everyone around me is at risk--Sukey, my friend who has frightening taste in men; my clients, who, ironically, come to me for help; my neighbors, who regard me as a loner; and Sam, a man who wants to know my darkest secret. And I'm afraid my anger is taking over.


My Review:
The blurb for this book made it sound very interesting-the not quite human, trying to hide her secret supernatural power to manipulate minds and suppress her desire to use it to her own advantage. It sounds like a dark urban fantasy book that will be full of ass kicking by our heroine as she faces dark forces around and within her. Great! Lets give this book a try! And doesn't it also have a great cover to entice you to buy it?!!

Sadly this was not what the book was. First we have to endure uber-dumb, useless bimbo from hell best friend Sukey with her conveyer belt of bad choice boyfriends and lack of personality. This girl is such a pathetic weepy whiner that I wanted to give her a damn good slap every time she appeared on a page. I really cannot stand this type of character and she does nothing to enhance the story. I swear I lost half of my front teeth because I kept grinding them together when Sukey was around-and sadly, she was ever present.

Then Mercy herself seems to just spend the first section of the book telling us what a loner she is and how sad her life is. Well ditch the idiot Sukey and that might be a good start. Then she starts to obsess about the new guy in town with endless whining thoughts about whether he could like her or not. She soon develops flaming pants syndrome for her handsome new friend and off we go talking and thinking endlessly about her love and social lives. The plot mostly seemed to care about whether or not Mercy could maybe have a relationship with this guy, while I was sitting thinking 'is anything supernatural or interesting EVER going to happen? Or are we just going to play dating games for the rest of the book? Where is the PLOT???

Personally I got tired of waiting for something interesting to happen. The story idea itself was good and there was nothing wrong with the writing skills of the author for me. But there was too much emphasis on the social life of Mercy and not enough on the paranormal aspects that had attracted me to the book in the first place. This was just a poor imitation paranormal romance dressed up as urban fantasy to make fans of the latter waste their money on it. (For that I blame the publisher more than the author.) I didn't relate to or care about any of the characters and certainly won't be reading the rest of the series.
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment